LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Recommend an ignition setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recommend an ignition setup

So I just put my trans in and it has brought out a pronounced part throttle miss/stumble. The car has 113k and all I've done is plugs and wires (ngk plugs and parts store wires). So I'm thinking of redoing the entire ignition. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, and ignition box just for fun. Recommend me some parts that I can start putting together.

This is not a new problem, just more pronounced that I have a 3600 converter in the car.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NGK T55s, New AC Delco wires, MSD coil, and a new AC Delco or Delphi Optispark if you want to change the whole thing. If not, just a cap and rotor.

Skip the MSD boxes, colder plugs, aftermarket wires and all that crap. The stock set up is amazingly capable on a street car.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

My car currently has a stock, completely stock, engine. But I also plan on adding spray and the timing retard in an msd box would be really nice to have. But aside from that I don't need it. And my opti doesn't seem to be the issue as I have no codes from this issue as well. And I really should do OTVC wires with the long tubes in it.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:02 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I'm really surprised there aren't more opinions on this much debated subject.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
NGK T55s, New AC Delco wires, MSD coil, and a new AC Delco or Delphi Optispark if you want to change the whole thing. If not, just a cap and rotor.

Skip the MSD boxes, colder plugs, aftermarket wires and all that crap. The stock set up is amazingly capable on a street car.
I would agree with this except I would go with a stock coil. No use for a MSD.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I would agree with this except I would go with a stock coil. No use for a MSD.
Can you buy factory coils new anymore? I never replace a coil until it fails, but the OP seemed to want to replace everything just to know their condition so I threw a brand out there. Though I don't subscribe to MSD's claims of greatness I have never had a problem with their coils.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
Can you buy factory coils new anymore? I never replace a coil until it fails, but the OP seemed to want to replace everything just to know their condition so I threw a brand out there. Though I don't subscribe to MSD's claims of greatness I have never had a problem with their coils.
Truthfully most people don't have problems with MSD coils however they haven't been shown to be worth anything. For reliability though the stock coil is more than enough.

They should still be available I am sure.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

In truth, my car is officially 20 years old. I've done cheap parts store wires and NGK TR55 back when I put my headers on. That's it. Everything else is factory down to the opti, coil and ICM. The car has a definite miss, and it's quite annoying now that it's more noticeable with the new trans and stall. So yes, I plan on replacing everything just to know their condition.

So far what I've put together

Mallory 685 Box
Summit wiring adapter (MSD is no longer in production for the 92-94)
MSD cap and rotor (my Opti is still functioning just fine)
Magnecor wires
TR55's for now (TR6's when the time comes to spray)
MSD blaster SS coil (I know way too many guys that have had success with it)

Am I off base on these parts as I don't want to be buying things twice when I decide to put a kit on the car.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Off base.

The Mallory is entirely unnecessary and only complicates things with absolutely ZERO benefit on these cars.

MSD cap and rotor won't fix much by itself, especially if your opti is fine (you think...).

Magnecor wires are overpriced. I'd just use something simple like Delco replacements. They work just fine.

TR55s are fine. Just check the gap on them.

"Success" is relative. If you mean it works with no problem sure but when the stock coil works great there's no reason to spend the $$$. Having said that how many stock coils have failed versus the MSD? Stick with stock, IMO.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Where would you recommend getting cap and rotor then? And what brand? These engines are not far off of the GEN I SBC which still needs caps and rotors. The optical sensor in my car is still functioning. I'm not getting any codes and it doesn't have any issues that would cause me to believe it's bad. I am more than happy just replacing the cap and rotor for now.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't used the Mallory 685 on an LT1, but I have one on my 61 and love it. It's a great box. If you weren't planning on spray I'd still say don't waste money getting it for your car. I like the MSD cap/rotor for yours since it will add a vent system and help your opt live longer. Don't forget the Loctite for the rotor screws and sealing the cap up tight. Also you may want to tap your water pump weep hole and add a pipe nipple and some hose to drain it away from the opti in case your WP fails. I'm not an OTVC wire fan, but I guess that is personal preference really.
I would definitely grab a meter and ohm out your new wires. I've found bad ones right out of the box. While your at it, ohm your old wires and you may find your miss there.

I'd stick with the stock coil. I've got MSD coils on 2 of my LT1 cars only because they were already on when I got them. I plan on swapping stock coils on whenever I get around to it. LOL I suspect the higher output caused the cap to go bad awhile back. It burnt through from the coil tower (I guess you'd call it) to the brass vent pipe. (MSD opti) The opti itself is still fine after a new cap and has been on for about 30,000 miles.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I'm just going to try some new delco wires for now. The wife is saying funds are tight ( new trans, and cowl hood did that) so I'm hoping its just these junk wires I got 2 years back.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with cheap wires causing problems, I have Duralast ones and I think they may be part of my miss problem too. When I have the money I'm getting some ACDelco wires instead...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

If you care to know, rock auto has them on warehouse close out for $26 before shipping. I just ordered a set.

Quick Reply: Recommend an ignition setup