LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 overhaul. Recommend replace working parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 overhaul. Recommend replace working parts?

In about a month or two, I'm planning on a complete rebuild because... My piston rings are worn (had an overheating problem,fixed now), both compression test and vacuum test points to it, and I have minor valve float, @ about 5K RPM, it bogs, misfires, and backfires like crazy. I want to get more power out of it, but I want to maintain reliability. I was curious, since I am tearing the whole thing apart anyway, should I replace the oil pump, opti-spark, or water-pump? They're all functional. Also, any recommendations on Cam shaft, valve spring tension, ect.? This is my first rebuild, any hints or tips for this rebuild? I use it as a daily driver, 95 Z28, barely rolled over 100K two weeks ago. Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

well, its my opinion that if the opti and water pump havent ever been replaced i would strongly consider changing them out. at 100k miles the oil pump would probably be fine

you say it bogs and missfires/backfires? someone correct me if im wrong but thats not valve float, that sounds like ignition/fuel issues, has the car ever had a tune up?

as far as a reliable cam, the LT4 Hotcam is one of the most reliable. many people daily drive with the Comp Cams '503', and a lot of people will tell you a custom cam would be nice.

The LT4 Hotcam comes in a kit that includes the cam, roller rockers, and stock LT4 valve springs. The stock lt4 springs are ok but you will have a lot better luck running a spring thats a little stiffer. so you add in a couple hundred more $$$ and its still the cheapest option for a bit of a boost in performance....

does the car have any boltons?

really there is a a few things we need to know before we go giving you cam recommendations, like what kinda horsepower you wanna make and what your budget is?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the same thing over the winter.

Had new bearings, seals, and rings put in, kept pistons.

I used the LT4 hotcam kit and a tune from Ion.

I have all supporting mods and my car runs awesome, besides a tick that I am still working on.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is a thread I posted a few months ago with my plans that has part numbers and prices, I'm slowly going through this process right now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-opinions.html

If your rings are worn there's a good chance your cylinder walls are slightly grooved, which could mean it needs an overbore, which requires new pistons and the rotating assembly to be rebalanced. There are a few good points in that thread about using stock main bolts so you don't need a line hone, and resizing the rods for arp bolts. Howard's springs or Alex's are $100 and can handle a mild 224/230ish cam. For head gaskets use the 0.026 ones I posted, bearings too.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Teching In

For bolt ons, k&n CAI, AIR removed, that's my short list of bolt ons right now...

I tuned it up last year.

I hope my cylinder walls aren't grooved

I have been considering an LS1 swap, but the rebuild seems to fit my budget more, my budget is about 2K. Besides, I can't really find a used LS1 around me, it seems they've all been picked out around me

Quick Reply: LT1 overhaul. Recommend replace working parts?