LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Leaving my battery unhooked for long periods, does computer have to relearn the table

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaving my battery unhooked for long periods, does computer have to relearn the table

While I have my car disassembled for painting, I have to unhook the battery for long periods of time (no doors on it yet). It seems like every other time I crank it up, it sounds like it runs a tad different. I'm sure I need to drive it to clean it out. I've been repainting it and doing a lot of other things for about a year now. But my question is, when the battery is left unhooked for days or weeks, does the computer have to relearn the fuel tables and other things? Just wondering what exactly happens when you hook that battery up and run it. Last time I ran it, it was popping/backfiring a tad. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It takes 10-20 seconds or so to clear the computer. Leaving it off longer does not do anything further. Learned fueling tables are cleared and you start over every time. Idle is usually the most noticeable thing affected. The longer it runs, the more it learns and smooths out.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
It takes 10-20 seconds or so to clear the computer. Leaving it off longer does not do anything further. Learned fueling tables are cleared and you start over every time. Idle is usually the most noticeable thing affected. The longer it runs, the more it learns and smooths out.
Thanks. Yeah idle is what is noticeable. It would only pop at idle last time. I usually only let it warm up about 5 minutes and drive it about 500 feet or so to wherever I need to put it to do paint work, etc...

Its been about 5 months since Ive even taken it around the block. But It only gets cranked and ran/moved maybe 2-3 times a month.

Quick Reply: Leaving my battery unhooked for long periods, does computer have to relearn the table