LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best person to convert a single plane intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best person to convert a single plane intake

Hey guys, i'm looking for a single plane intake to complete a project and if I can't find one that's already converted/ported in a reasonable amount of time I'm going to have one done myself. Fact is.. I'm not sure who I would get to do this conversion for me? I've been out of the car game for a great deal of time and I don't know who holds the hot hand right now. Any suggestions on a good surgeon and a good test subject (brand/model of intake)? Thanks guys!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

first I would suggest dropping the idea, if you insist on going forward with it then have the head porter do it and let him recommend one.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

drill the heads for the sbc bolt pattern. If that's not an option any local machine shop can do it for you
Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
first I would suggest dropping the idea, if you insist on going forward with it then have the head porter do it and let him recommend one.
you really are a first class idiot.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02BlackFirehawk
Hey guys, i'm looking for a single plane intake to complete a project and if I can't find one that's already converted/ported in a reasonable amount of time I'm going to have one done myself. Fact is.. I'm not sure who I would get to do this conversion for me? I've been out of the car game for a great deal of time and I don't know who holds the hot hand right now. Any suggestions on a good surgeon and a good test subject (brand/model of intake)? Thanks guys!
Edelbrock 29875 seems to be the best candidate performance and cost wise.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIGCAT7274
you really are a first class idiot.
My thoughts precisely!

Thanks for the info Chopstix & BIGCAT. I haven't really done a lot of research on a what all is needed for the conversion because I've always been a "stock appearance" kinda guy with the intake being a huge hp killer. Well with the new build the massively reconstructed & ported LT4 intake is just going to be a huge bottle neck and not to mention a tuning nightmare with the monoblade and no IAC provisions. So, I've decided to step it up and join the big league

Nobody wants to secretly PM me and tell me a good porter to accomplish such a task?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIGCAT7274
Edelbrock 29875 seems to be the best candidate performance and cost wise.
Do you mean the Edelbrock 29785? I'm not finding much of anything at all on a 29875.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

to be properly ported the intake needs to be done with the heads in hand or at least by the guy who did the heads.
A friend tried having heads ported b y one shop and the intake by another, ended up buying another intake because while the ports were the same size they weren't in the same place, one guy had gone heavy on the top one heavy on the bottom.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-question.html

I am not the only one who thinks single planes are overhyped.
Ed must be a first class idiot too huh?

They do have potential benefits but as I said are overhyped.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A case where it worked well.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forc...esults-721895/

And 96Caprice, look at that cam. Didn't you just **** on a guy asking a question for having something very similar? I suppose you don't know as much as you think you do.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to go against or counter someone with as much credentials and knowledge as Ed, but IIRC he compared a Single plane with a low profile Edlebrock 90* elbow to keep the stock hood and an LT1 TB to a custom one-off sheetmetal Hogan made for that exact engine that probably cost over $3,500. I never saw the intake but I imagine it was huge plenum, perfect calculated length trumpeted runners, etc.

How exactly does that have any bearing on the parts and conditions our "normal" cars see?

**edit** Look's like it was way cheaper then I thought, $2600 for the Hogan but not sure how long ago that was...8-10 years? I'm sure if you call them now it would be over 3k.

Last edited by Puck; 05-19-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you mean the Edelbrock 29785? I'm not finding much of anything at all on a 29875.
yup that's it. sorry about mixing the number up.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Teching In

to be properly ported the intake needs to be done with the heads in hand or at least by the guy who did the heads.
A friend tried having heads ported b y one shop and the intake by another, ended up buying another intake because while the ports were the same size they weren't in the same place, one guy had gone heavy on the top one heavy on the bottom.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-question.html

Who said the heads wouldn't be in the hand of the guy whom did the intake? I said I've been out of the game for a while not that I'm new to it, life got in the way which involved a house and marriage and I couldn't play with the toys for a while.. but I'm back.

Now... elbows, any of them got good clearance on a stock WS6 hood (cutting is ok, just not through the top).
Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

I didn't say you wouldn't give he guy the heads too. I was stating they needed to be together. You apparently already knew that..........most people on the forums can't add that well.

A LOT of the guys who like to be offended by me read things into posts that I didn't actually write..............
Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Glad we got that squared away now. So, you could be a friend and start answering some of my questions

Whats your take on a good person to perform the work, and a good elbow to clear a stock WS6 hood that is slightly cut?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad we got that squared away now. So, you could be a friend and start answering some of my questions

Whats your take on a good person to perform the work, and a good elbow to clear a stock WS6 hood that is slightly cut?
IMO using a low profile elbow to clear a stock hood will negate the benefit of going to single plane. Air doesn't like sharp turns. The gradual turn fabricated elbows would be my choice if I *had* to use one, but ideally a 4bbl TB and carb hat is the way to go.

The nice elbows pop up on different forums every once in a while. I sold one cheap on here maybe a year ago.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Who said the heads wouldn't be in the hand of the guy whom did the intake? I said I've been out of the game for a while not that I'm new to it, life got in the way which involved a house and marriage and I couldn't play with the toys for a while.. but I'm back.

Now... elbows, any of them got good clearance on a stock WS6 hood (cutting is ok, just not through the top).
No, all elbows won't clear. My hood would not shut on the Wilson. The Edelbrock was lower and would clear. The Wilson looked better to me, much more gentle curve. However, both made the same power. I was a little surprised.
I had as much tied up in all that as my Hogan. Kinda expensive power loss. That's often how you go faster. Find something slower, and go the other direction.

And for the "power killer factory manifold" B.S., the Hogan is about a tenth quicker than the ported factory manifold I used before.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I run the professional products super hurricane EFI. I have a custom elbow and an edelbrock fuel rail kit for their victor efi manifold. I've seen some guys who only use the outer pairs of bolts, and the 2 inner bolts aren't used. My entire setup was around $700-$800 give or take.

Here's a good thread on them:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...t=single+plane

Mine won't clear a stock hood. The manifold is pretty tall. I'd bet with the smallest EFI single plane, it would clear a stock hood. It clears in back just fine, but up by the TB it will hit a stock one.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The TB is what hit my hood with the Wilson elbow. I had a lot tied up in welding, port work and shipping. My heads had threaded inserts for the center bolts.

Quick Reply: Best person to convert a single plane intake