LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1993 Specific Auto to Manual Swap - Clutch Cylinder Firewall Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Specific Auto to Manual Swap - Clutch Cylinder Firewall Issue

Car: 1993 LT1 Auto

So I am finally getting to the part where I installed the manual pedals and am prepping to drill the hole into the firewall for the master cylinder routing.

Lo and behold, I discover that the firewall in the 1993 has some sort of bend in it directly in the spot where I need to install the clutch master cylinder flush to the firewall. See first pic.

Apparently, the firewall in the 1994 + is flat where the master cylinder goes. See second pic courtesy of www.afrashteh.com.

Anyone ever do a 1993 specific auto to manual swap and encounter this issue? I'm at a loss right now because short of cutting the firewall and welding in a flat plate, it does not seem like my Tick Master Cylinder, or any other master cylinder, is going to be able to be installed on this car. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 1993 Specific Auto to Manual Swap - Clutch Cylinder Firewall Issue-photo.jpg   1993 Specific Auto to Manual Swap - Clutch Cylinder Firewall Issue-dcp00796.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did an A4-M6 swap on a 93 late last year and encountered no such bend. What's your vin say for production number? Perhaps you've got an early run car?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
I did an A4-M6 swap on a 93 late last year and encountered no such bend. What's your vin say for production number? Perhaps you've got an early run car?
My production number is 101,xxx. I can't even tell you how angry I am right now lol..... This is insane.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually your production number is 01,xxx. My 93 is 2,xxx and the firewall was flat (I didn't do the swap but I've been in there to inspect things). I don't know what the production number on the car I converted last December was though. You've got a pretty low production number which might explain the bend you've got.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Actually your production number is 01,xxx. My 93 is 2,xxx and the firewall was flat (I didn't do the swap but I've been in there to inspect things). I don't know what the production number on the car I converted last December was though. You've got a pretty low production number which might explain the bend you've got.
Oh man. Thanks for clearing that up. This blows. Now it is a matter of deciding whether I sell the car and get something that I can do a straight conversion on or weld in a flat plate into the firewall.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Can it be cut easily?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

weld a plate up in there it shouldnt be to hard

make sure your battery is unhooked before you do it and maybe even remove the pcm
Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by englundjd
weld a plate up in there it shouldnt be to hard

make sure your battery is unhooked before you do it and maybe even remove the pcm
I mean it could definitely be done. It's just a matter of moving the harness and brake booster out of the way. It's so damn tight in that space too =(.. I found someone who has an extra firewall so maybe I can just cut the piece out and weld it.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LTZombie
I mean it could definitely be done. It's just a matter of moving the harness and brake booster out of the way. It's so damn tight in that space too =(.. I found someone who has an extra firewall so maybe I can just cut the piece out and weld it.
yea a decent welder could pop in there and weld it up with a mig or tig welder depending on how nice you want it to look...

with tig there wouldnt be very many if any sparks... that is if you can get both hands up there... ive welded in a few tight situations like this before

Quick Reply: 1993 Specific Auto to Manual Swap - Clutch Cylinder Firewall Issue