Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Post LT1 Modification Emphasizing Low End Torque

I am trying to satisfy another one of my curiosities by asking what I would need to do in order to maximize low end torque out of my mainly stock LT1 engine. My logic for such a kind of modification is that my 1997 Trans Am is a daily driver and since I spend most of my time in the low rpm range that it might be of some benefit to increase my car's torque while operating in this range. Of course I am also asking for advice in terms of the possible problems that may result from such a modification and whether or not it is even worth it.

Eventually I do plan on upgrading my stock LT1 exhaust manifold with aftermarket headers and here again, is there a certain type I should be aiming for that targets the low rpm range AND will install as a factory replacement that is OBD II compliant. Send in your input and I eagerly look forward to your responses. Thank you for your time, again.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Wern't you the same person who made a thread about gearing your car higher than stock in the interest of keeping the revs under 1500 at all times or something silly like that?
Why do you even care about increasing low-end torque if you barely ever turn the motor past 2000rpm? You'll never feel the difference any modifications would make, ever. Your car already puts out three to four times more torque than you ever put to use in the course of your hypermiling and lugging activities.

That aside, long tube headers, off-road y-pipe, and full exhaust will yield a very measurable and perceptible increase in low-end torque and midrange, as well as top end power. To get the most out of it in terms of power and efficiency you'll want to get it tuned as well; a good tuner will know how to keep the OBDII computer happy. Driveability will be unaffected and with the right choice in cat-back exhuast, it will remain quiet.

Dithering with shorty headers and OBDII/emission compliant things in the interest of keeping the stock programming in the computer is a waste of time and money on these cars.
Sorry if I come across as a bit direct, but multi-page threads about how to modify a LT1 Trans Am to make it drive more like a tractor strike me as difficult to take seriously.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Village Troll
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

LPE 211/219 cam
1.6 rockers
compatible springs on stock heads
you'll be able to pull an oak out of the ground clean
power will peter out about 4k therefore you will not have to worry about mpg...
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS #597 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28SSilvest View Post
You sir, are a genius with the mind of a 10 year old.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Note that any long tube header is not OBD-II compliant. That may alter your choices if you must pass inspections.

New thread. Here we go...
shbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Village Troll
Garage is empty, add now

Don't forget the long runner intake as well. I mean your torque curve will look like an olympic ski jump, but it will get the job done between 100 and 1000rpm...
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS #597 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28SSilvest View Post
You sir, are a genius with the mind of a 10 year old.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Staging Lane
1992 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 1

retrofit a TUNED PORT INJECTION on your LT1 and toss in some 4:56 gears.
Screw gas milage , go buy a geo metro for that crap.

edit: sarcasm off.
'92 vert with 383 LT1 | 78mm turbonetics turbo, Tial 50mm BOV , Tial 44mm waste gate | Ported heads | Intake Drilled for MSD Pro Billet Distrib|Callies Racemaster crank & rods | JE Pistons | FTI TH400 w/ PTC converter | spohon suspention. Garage Queen , No dyno #'s no Et's

'97 Camaro LT1 /T56 | Longtubes | O/R Y pipe | Magnaflow cat back | K&N CAI | CSR EWP | Dynoed 292rwhp /321 rwtq Best et. 13.1@107 w/ 2.07 Sixty ft.
FSTFBDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

Spray it!!!!!

Only in the lower rpms.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVESS02 View Post
Obviously, somethings not right there. Is the supercharger set to suck instead of blow?
z_speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

why do you care about torque your never gonna put it to good use, worrying about MPG all the time!
ramair 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellTeeOne View Post
Wern't you the same person who made a thread about gearing your car higher than stock in the interest of keeping the revs under 1500 at all times or something silly like that?
Why do you even care about increasing low-end torque if you barely ever turn the motor past 2000rpm? You'll never feel the difference any modifications would make, ever. Your car already puts out three to four times more torque than you ever put to use in the course of your hypermiling and lugging activities.

That aside, long tube headers, off-road y-pipe, and full exhaust will yield a very measurable and perceptible increase in low-end torque and midrange, as well as top end power. To get the most out of it in terms of power and efficiency you'll want to get it tuned as well; a good tuner will know how to keep the OBDII computer happy. Driveability will be unaffected and with the right choice in cat-back exhuast, it will remain quiet.

Dithering with shorty headers and OBDII/emission compliant things in the interest of keeping the stock programming in the computer is a waste of time and money on these cars.
Sorry if I come across as a bit direct, but multi-page threads about how to modify a LT1 Trans Am to make it drive more like a tractor strike me as difficult to take seriously.
Once again I am just asking and trying to gain a better understanding of what I should do.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair 1 View Post
why do you care about torque your never gonna put it to good use, worrying about MPG all the time!
Well this all aims at designing this car to function in a manner that is totally different from what General Motors designed it for. As I slowly alter this vehicle and experiment through trial and error I am discovering new possible avenues that I may be able to use that with the right set up may ACTUALLY be instrumental in achieving higher fuel mileage. I just have to make the right alterations to put me on the right path for where I need to go. So just bear with me and help me learn, please.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix'97 View Post
Once again I am just asking and trying to gain a better understanding of what I should do.
What are you trying to gain an understanding of? How to make an LT1 run like a small Cummins diesel?

Your comments make me wonder why you ever chose to own one of these cars at all. If you want something that runs and achieves peak efficiency at 1100rpm then you should be driving a diesel Passat or something.

These cars, particularly the 6-speed versions, are very well set up from the factory inasmuch as efficiency is concerned. You're simply not going to gain much in MPG without increasing the volumetric efficiency of the motor, ergo, doing mods that have the 'side effect', if you will, of increasing the amount of power the motor makes, something you seem adamantly opposed to.

So what is anyone supposed to tell you?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
TECH Resident
1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 3

not to flame on the op and his dreams of owning the worlds worst lt1, but lets get serious. These cars already make a good amount of torque stock, to were you an chug along below 2k rpms. you can't really do in to many other gasoline cars. Honestly you should enjoy the car, put on some long tubes, cold air intake and a small cam. Get a good tune and you should be alright. These cars weren't meant to sip on gas....

or maybe you can put some 19lb injectors on weld one of your throttle body holes shut. Throw in a pick up truck towing cam and add several cats to the exhaust.....
96z28_lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Click the image to open in full size.
Bolt ons, pcmforless tune. Strange 12 bolt 3:73, BMR LCAs+ panhard bar, Bilsteins. Grand Sport reps 275f 315r on Nitto 555rs.
nitroheadz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
duh
TECH Fanatic
1993 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 14

I'm really surprised nobody has had the suggestion.

1-Pull lt1 and t56 out of said f-body. Sell engine, trans and wiring harness for roughly $1500.

2-become friends with a fabricator. A good one if you plan on driving this monstrosity.

3-install Duramax and Allison out of a newer 2500/3500 diesel pickup truck.

4-replace 10 bolt with 9" due to stripped ring gear.

5-Enjoy your new creation that gets 50+ mpg and makes 1000 lb/ft of torque.
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

spending too much money on mods purely intended on increasing MPG is counter intuitive. Long tubes, full exhaust, cold air intake and a tune with an emphasis on a lean cruise will give you both more power, torque and mpg on paper at least. The factory tune is pretty rich to begin with so a tune will probably be your most beneficial mod.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #16
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellTeeOne View Post
What are you trying to gain an understanding of? How to make an LT1 run like a small Cummins diesel?

Your comments make me wonder why you ever chose to own one of these cars at all. If you want something that runs and achieves peak efficiency at 1100rpm then you should be driving a diesel Passat or something.

These cars, particularly the 6-speed versions, are very well set up from the factory inasmuch as efficiency is concerned. You're simply not going to gain much in MPG without increasing the volumetric efficiency of the motor, ergo, doing mods that have the 'side effect', if you will, of increasing the amount of power the motor makes, something you seem adamantly opposed to.

So what is anyone supposed to tell you?
Once again, any small gain in fuel mileage regardless of how minute, is my goal. Yes everyone will shrug it off but by adding each of those minute gains together, it adds up to a measurable fuel mileage increase. The fact of the matter is, I am trying to explore ways to modify my 1997 LT1 Trans Am to take advantage of parts and products out on the market that can help increase fuel economy. As you stated before, and I quote "These cars, particularly the 6-speed versions, are very well set up from the factory inasmuch as efficiency is concerned." Well...GM certainly made the car as efficient as cost efficiency will take it but I am slowly picking up my fuel mileage an additional 1/4 mile per gallon at a time.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #17
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1 View Post
not to flame on the op and his dreams of owning the worlds worst lt1, but lets get serious. These cars already make a good amount of torque stock, to were you an chug along below 2k rpms. you can't really do in to many other gasoline cars. Honestly you should enjoy the car, put on some long tubes, cold air intake and a small cam. Get a good tune and you should be alright. These cars weren't meant to sip on gas....

or maybe you can put some 19lb injectors on weld one of your throttle body holes shut. Throw in a pick up truck towing cam and add several cats to the exhaust.....
Well I certainly appreciate your opinion and your show of support for my curiosity...
Old 06-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #18
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroheadz28 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Is that so?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #19
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post
I'm really surprised nobody has had the suggestion.

1-Pull lt1 and t56 out of said f-body. Sell engine, trans and wiring harness for roughly $1500.

2-become friends with a fabricator. A good one if you plan on driving this monstrosity.

3-install Duramax and Allison out of a newer 2500/3500 diesel pickup truck.

4-replace 10 bolt with 9" due to stripped ring gear.

5-Enjoy your new creation that gets 50+ mpg and makes 1000 lb/ft of torque.
Gosh...with these mods done I wouldn't even be driving a Trans Am. This is supposed to be an answer to my question?!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #20
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysemunky View Post
spending too much money on mods purely intended on increasing MPG is counter intuitive. Long tubes, full exhaust, cold air intake and a tune with an emphasis on a lean cruise will give you both more power, torque and mpg on paper at least. The factory tune is pretty rich to begin with so a tune will probably be your most beneficial mod.
As much as I would be interested in running long headers on my LT1, they still have to use the factory sensors and be OBD II compliant. I have found a few short headers that satisfy this criteria but no long tube headers. What would be your recommendation granted I want my car to pass emissions.

Secondly, I would have to assume that a true dual exhaust system would be beneficial in satisfying the full exhaust criteria? I just hope I don't have clearance or fitment issues if I were to go with a true dual exhaust.

Third, I have the WS6 ram air option so does that not serve as cold air induction? I wonder if it is possible to splice in and combine my factory ram air with an SLP LS1 cold air flowpack. I just figure that it would have to be beneficial on the naturally aspirated engine to utilize two avenues for air induction. What do you guys think?

Fourth, THANK YOU for genuinely answering my question! This is just research that I am doing for now while I work on replacing my Trans Am's door and t-top weather stripping along with my future plans to have installed the blackbird lighting solutions HID kit, halo fog lights, marker and signal lights converted to use LEDs, HID back up lights and lastly to have an outlaw warbird hood fit and installed on my Trans Am.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement