LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Trans Am random stall while crusiing, no stumble

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Trans Am random stall while crusiing, no stumble

LONG READ, PLEASE HELP.

I've had the car for over a year no problems except clutch, first winter it was stored. Uncovered it and found a dead squirrel frozen to the ground (battery was out so it wasn't electrocuted) took for a spin and speedo wasn't working, now that it's warmed up a bit it's working again, and now i have this problem as follows....

I haven't driven it in a while but a few weeks ago i finally took it out after the long winter but i was going to work and i was in 5th gear around 1.5k rpms and all of a sudden i noticed it was accelerating and i lost power steering, so i just pulled into a place on the left, thankfully no cars were coming and i could still roll in. Well it turned out it was off with the ignition still in the on position. Turned it back on just fine, thought nothing of it, went to work.

At lunch i went to bk and same thing happened (5th gear, low rpms) managed to roll it into a parking lot and figured i could just start it back up like that morning. Wasn't starting, it was cranking but that's about it. I let it sit for a few minutes then went to start it again and it cranked hard but ended up started with a loud *** backfire. At this time i figured i would just take it home and grab my dd. I noticed that it only stalled in 5th at low rpms so the entire way home i drove in 4th so my rpm was over 2k the entire time

I keep reading it could be electrical or fuel pump related, here are some mods that correlate with those (list from previous owner)

-MAF Sensor by PRO-M
-Throttle body: Holly CNC 58mm
-Fuel injectors: Lucas 42.5 lbs
-Fuel Pressure regulator Aeromotive Adjustble
-Fuel pump: 255 lph Racetronix with hot wire kit
-Ignition: Upgraded to 95-97 style vented Opti-spark (95 GMPP Double roller timing set, timing cover, vacuum harnes) with conversion to Northstar ( Delteq) ignition system with 4 MSD coils (No more optispark problems)
-Spark Plug wires: Taylor 8mm custom cut with Moroso High Temp heat sleevs
-Engine management: Custom tune by CRT Performance
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

bump for somebody who has time to read
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

bump, it's not really that much to read. Thoughts on where to start, google is sending me eveywhere
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostedskyline
-Ignition: Upgraded to 95-97 style vented Opti-spark (95 GMPP Double roller timing set, timing cover, vacuum harnes) with conversion to Northstar ( Delteq) ignition system with 4 MSD coils (No more optispark problems)
First off; I'm no expert. But to me this sounds like the problem. It seems to be electrical, (may affect the speedo) and I'd check the coils etc.

Idk if this can happen, but the coils on my motorcycle used to get hit soaked and it would cut off and wouldn't start?

I'd start there.

Sorry I'm less of a help.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Random stalling with an LT1 is a pretty common issue with our shittly designed ICM, sometimes when they start to go out the car will die whenever it pleases for no seeming good reason....then start up later like nothing ever happened . I'd throw a new one on, it's cheap and fairly easy, my car has gone through 3-4 of these over the past 15+ years. It can't hurt to throw a new coil on it too...they are like $20. Maybe one day I'll do the ICM spacer mod ...or LS swap
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Random stalling with an LT1 is a pretty common issue with our shittly designed ICM, sometimes when they start to go out the car will die whenever it pleases for no seeming good reason....then start up later like nothing ever happened . I'd throw a new one on, it's cheap and fairly easy, my car has gone through 3-4 of these over the past 15+ years. It can't hurt to throw a new coil on it too...they are like $20. Maybe one day I'll do the ICM spacer mod ...or LS swap
Awesome, thanks man I remember reading a lot about that (sensor?) when I googled my problem, I'll look into it. One guy on ls1lt1.com told me to check for hidden codes by scanning the computer so I'm going to check if I have any too, first I've gotta find an obd1 reader.

Again thanks, it's a place to start lol.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VAformula
First off; I'm no expert. But to me this sounds like the problem. It seems to be electrical, (may affect the speedo) and I'd check the coils etc.

Idk if this can happen, but the coils on my motorcycle used to get hit soaked and it would cut off and wouldn't start?

I'd start there.

Sorry I'm less of a help.
I'm doubting it's anything to do with ignition cut or something like that, like I've had bad plugs, wires, coil on my other cars and I know how it feels ( bucks at open throttle ) and the trans am didn't do it, I was just driving and had no idea it even stalled ( was wondering why I wasn't accelerating) until I looked down to see my tach all the way down. That's why I'm ruling it out. I put that info there just in case somebody said it could be opti, from what the owner told me this setup he did should fix the opti-spark problems, chime in if you guys disagree though, and why.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boostedskyline
I'm doubting it's anything to do with ignition cut or something like that, like I've had bad plugs, wires, coil on my other cars and I know how it feels ( bucks at open throttle ) and the trans am didn't do it, I was just driving and had no idea it even stalled ( was wondering why I wasn't accelerating) until I looked down to see my tach all the way down. That's why I'm ruling it out. I put that info there just in case somebody said it could be opti, from what the owner told me this setup he did should fix the opti-spark problems, chime in if you guys disagree though, and why.
What you describe with the car suddenly "dying" is exactly what happens with the ICM starts going haywire....the motor just dies with no warning, shaking, noise, anything....it just dies! If it's wires, opti, ect, yea, generally you will notice some rough running, bucking, or popping noise. When my first opti took a **** it souded like sombody shot a 12 gauge out the back of my car . I would look at the ICM first, it is way easier and cheaper to replace than an opti, that's for sure.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
What you describe with the car suddenly "dying" is exactly what happens with the ICM starts going haywire....the motor just dies with no warning, shaking, noise, anything....it just dies! If it's wires, opti, ect, yea, generally you will notice some rough running, bucking, or popping noise. When my first opti took a **** it souded like sombody shot a 12 gauge out the back of my car . I would look at the ICM first, it is way easier and cheaper to replace than an opti, that's for sure.
Do you have a website, I'm checking on summitracing.com for an ICM for 94 (any lt1) and they're all above $90, was wondering where you (or another member) found them for much cheaper.

Quick Reply: 94 Trans Am random stall while crusiing, no stumble