LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Unusual Corvette accessory bracket issues (67 camaro swap)

Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unusual Corvette accessory bracket issues (67 camaro swap)

Hello Folks, some first post this is going to be. Let me start off by saying that Ive been trying to figure out this issue for a while through searching and lurking with no luck so far.

I have been working on swapping an LT1 out of a 1994 9c1 Caprice car into a 1967 chevrolet camaro. The motor has been treated with full bolt ons, computer tune, vats/egr eliminate, all that stuff.

At the beginning of this project we received a good Corvette accessory bracket and corvette hub/balancer. Figuring that everything was on the level we put the brackets and hubs in storage while frame off rebuilding the rest of the car. The time comes and we set the motor in the car while the front clip is being painted. We mount our Corvette accessory bracket, everything is good. We then mount our Corvette crank hub, went right in, torqued down, good deal. Then we put on the corvette balancer...

It was too short, dosen't stick out far enough to align with the accessories. The balancer is sitting behind the accessory bracket. Now keep in mind we are using a Corvette accessory bracket and a corvette hub/balancer.

I'll bet the corvette hub/pulley is sitting nearly an inch behind the corvette accessory pulleys, way off.

Sooo... We pull the corvette hub back off (sucks) and install the Caprice hub since it is longer... but the length is STILL TOO SHORT.

Even using the caprice hub the balancer does not stick out far enough and is too short to align with the corvette accessory bracket. The balancer is just short enough that it cannot be spaced out with washers (tried it) because the balancer wont be on the lip of the hub.

How can this be? I know that the 94 9c1 engine we have is an obd1 car, is it possible that the corvette accesory bracket is out of an obd2 car and for some reason just a little longer? Are there multiple similiar looking corvette brackets? Am I missing Something here? Honestly I need some advice. We are supposed to be getting our front clip out of paint in a couple weeks and Id like to have everthing bolted in before it gets put on the car.

Last edited by shamrock67; 06-30-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Something odd must be going on, because there is not an inch difference between any of the LT1 hubs. The difference between an OBD-I and II hub is only a tenth of an inch.

info from nookandtranny website:

APPLICATION OVERALL LENGTH
92-95 Corvette, 93-95 Camaro/Firebird 3.519"
96 Corvette, 96-97 Camaro/Firebird 3.419"
94-95 Impala/Roadmaster/Caprice 4.09"
96 Impala/Roadmaster/Caprice 3.99"
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Teching In

Our caprice hub is the 4.09" hub and our corvette hub is the 3.519" hub. The problem here is that even with the Caprice hub either of our balancers are sitting too far behind the accessories to be properly lined up.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Launching!

See section C here (looks like spacer is difference between Camaro and Caprice hub) and also the note "Will not fit '92-'96 Corvette". I assume that means something has got to be different between the engine setups.
http://www.professional-products.com...tr_%20Rev3.pdf

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-80030

And from here:
http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LT1.html
"There were basically 3 different front drive setups for the LT1 engines : Corvette, Camaro/Firebird and Impala. The Camaro/Firebird and Impala are very similar to each other. They are basically the same other than the main accessory bracket and power steering pump. The rest of the components are compatible with each other. Both of those setups had the accessories located on the passenger side. The Corvette had the accessories on the driver's side. The accessories and components are not interchangeable between Corvette and Camaro/Firebird/Impala."

How much off is it best case? Are you absolutely sure you have a Corvette balancer?

Corvette balancer

Camaro/Impala balancer

Last edited by SSellers; 06-30-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Maybe this will help.

Picture(1): This is the two pulleys that I am working with. The caprice pulley on the left and the Corvette? Pulley on the right.

picture(2): A shot of the gap between the tensioner and caprice balancer mounted on the caprice pulley.

picture (3): A close up shot of picture 2. The difference between how far the caprice balancer/hub combo sticks out compared to the tensioner on the corvette bracket.

picture(4): This Is the corvette hub we have. I measured it with a caliper and it is exactly 3.519 inches long so im certain that it is correct.

picture(5): This is a side shot of our supposed corvette balancer.

Im beginning to think that we do not really have a corvette balancer. The corvette balancers that I find appear to have one side that has a much "fatter" edge than the would-be corvette hub that we have.

Edit Ordered a New Corvette Balancer, should be here Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails Unusual Corvette accessory bracket issues (67 camaro swap)-cam00347.jpg   Unusual Corvette accessory bracket issues (67 camaro swap)-cam00333-1-.jpg   Unusual Corvette accessory bracket issues (67 camaro swap)-cam00335.jpg   Unusual Corvette accessory bracket issues (67 camaro swap)-cam00320.jpg   Unusual Corvette accessory bracket issues (67 camaro swap)-cam00353.jpg  

Last edited by shamrock67; 06-30-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unusual Corvette accessory bracket issues (67 camaro swap)