LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Who sells water pump drive seal tool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who sells water pump drive seal tool?

Just looking for a water pump drive seal tool. Found someone selling but they are all out. Anyone know someone who has em for sale still around the $10?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You have one in your tool box. It's called a socket. Or use a Sharpie pen cap.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
You have one in your tool box. It's called a socket. Or use a Sharpie pen cap.
^^^This

I used a socket and it worked perfect. No need to go by something that you already have.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok cool. i didnt try a socket cause i put one in pretty easily with timing cover off the car. i dont even think it should be leaking but ill check soon. sock works even better.

thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a 3/8 drive 1/2in socket to get it over the shaft.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Yellow "sharpie" brand highlighter. Its a perfect fit. Of course gut it, and add a little oil and it slides right over it onto the drive shaft
Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Camaro350Z28
ok cool. i didnt try a socket cause i put one in pretty easily with timing cover off the car. i dont even think it should be leaking but ill check soon. sock works even better.

thanks
Okay, now I guess I don't fully understand what you are asking here??? Are you asking about a "tool" to install the actual water pump seal into the timing cover??? Or, about a "tool" to help install the seal over the water pump drive shaft???

You do know that you must slip that seal over the water pump drive shaft AFTER the timing cover is already installed on the engine ..... right???

I think(?) all the previous responders assumed you knew this, but ...... I'm not so sure you do??? All the "socket" and "sharpie" tricks they mentioned are used to slip the seal over the drive shaft after the timing cover is ON the engine. Got it???
Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I do is grind a chamfered edge on the end of the actual drive coupler. Lube the seal, push the coupler into the seal and simply install. Never once failed and no need for anything else. Bada bing.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

It can be done either way but it is way easier to do correctly after the cover is on the engine if you don't have experience doing it the other way.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrd1972
All I do is grind a chamfered edge on the end of the actual drive coupler. Lube the seal, push the coupler into the seal and simply install. Never once failed and no need for anything else. Bada bing.
That is a great idea...Mental note
Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i must not have looked at the seal correctly. you saying it needs to be installed with timing chain cover already on the engine? if so that explains why it f'd up. i just installed all 3 and then put the cover on.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok i must not have looked at the seal correctly. you saying it needs to be installed with timing chain cover already on the engine? if so that explains why it f'd up. i just installed all 3 and then put the cover on.
You CAN install all 3 seals into the timing cover first, you just need something smooth, like a Sharpie cap, to slide the WP drive seal over the splines of the driveshaft, as you install the timing cover. A member of this forum, whose username escapes me at this moment, used to make and sell a tapered, metal sleeve for this job...
Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

gotcha. ok so i did it wrong. learn something new i guess. ill pull that one and install a new one. im gonna assume thats exactly what i have leaking. ill pull the waterpump and check to be sure
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

that is how the seals are put in at the factory. TC first then the TC with seals on motor...BUT they use a Kent Moore tool which is a tapered plastic deal that is placed over the WP drive spline so the seal lip does not fold over and the TC goes over it.

If you did seals in TC then put TC on without some form of "tool" than it is a 99.9% chance the seal will fold over.

using a "tool" be it the same Kent Moore plastic thing, aftermarket one or a socket or sharpie pen cap is what you need to do.

I bought the Kent Moore damper hub remover/installer on ebay and it had the little plastic one in it. don't know if it comes with it but it was in the kit.

I am sure it is exploding wallet to buy but the Km tool # is J-39087
(holly batshiat it is $55! for a piece of plastic)

http://www.toolsource.com/drive-gear...-p-112357.html
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Make sure you look at the seal. It has two seals in it. One is directed forward and one is directed back. Felpro seal has a yellow front seal that will point or lean out towards the water pump and the other looks like the opti seal and is directed (or pointed) towards the inside of the engine. If you can see the grey color seal sticking out just under the front seal out towards the water pump it is installed wrong.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya im leaking oil pretty steadily im betting thats it. im going out there today to replace it. ill get the job done with a socket. i just didnt look at the seal or realize i needed to get it slipped over the gear correctly. just assumed is slid over and sealed.

thanks for the help guys
Old 06-19-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya im leaking oil pretty steadily im betting thats it. im going out there today to replace it. ill get the job done with a socket. i just didnt look at the seal or realize i needed to get it slipped over the gear correctly. just assumed is slid over and sealed.

thanks for the help guys
Usually, you can simply press a seal into place, but in the case of the LT1 water pump drive, the splines are A) sharp; and B) are in VERY close proximity to the seal, so the job is tricky at best.

Quick Reply: Who sells water pump drive seal tool?