LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

z28 lt1 5.7 350 needs head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z28 lt1 5.7 350 needs head gasket

Ok so basically I'm thinking of buying a z28 but I was talking to a friend and he says that if the lt1 is Carbed I shouldnt buy lt1 can't quite remember exactly what he told me reasons were , but I believe he said that it has something to do with the sensors. I'm not very familiar with lt1's so I'm not sure what to make of it. Can anyone tell me if they've experienced any problems with it or if my friend has information wrong. Now the only thing wrong with the car is that it needs a new head gasket which should be an easy fix. But I'd still like to know a little more about the lt1 and if it will give me problems if it is Carbed. Any and all information is helpful, thanks.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Launching!

If you're talking about the Gen II LT1's that came in a 93-97 Camaro, then they all came with fuel injection and very very few have been switched to a carb. Head gaskets aren't typically an "easy fix" due to the fact that the engine is very tight and far back into the car. If you've changed a head gasket before then if won't be that bad because of the fact that you know what you're doing. If you've never changed a head gasket before forget buying that car

Also, you need to find out why the head gasket was blown? Is it over heating? If so that's prolly a new water pump which means you need to change the optispark system too. Then you'll have to change all the plugs and the wires and that's a hassle. The price is adding up pretty fast, and if you're not doing it yourself you're looking at thousands by the time you're done with fixing that car.

So you need to figure out if it's worth the money to change this, and unless you're getting this car for $500 of less, you can go buy one that's running well and save a lot of time and hassle.

Just how I see the situation.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Yes I was planning in doing all the work myself, and its a 96 z28. As far as I know it doesn't have overheating problems but I'll check again to make sure. Like I said I was just thinking about purchasing it I haven't committed to it yet and I'm still looking for other options. This is just the first v8 that I've found and i was just checking to see if anyone knew about the sensor problems my friend was talking about, but I'll get some more info on the car and from my friend. Thanks for your help , and I'll check and see if it is a gen II LT1
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Teching In

This is the ad for the car " I have a 1996 Z28 Camaro with a LT1 5.7 350 motor and a 4L60E automatic transmission that i have been building as a project, however other expenses have arose and don't have funds to keep on building. Motor has been port and polished and has edelbrock performer mid length headers and 3 inch exhaust, sounds very good. Car needs a head gasket which is very cheap if you do it yourself" my phone won't let me share the actual link for some reason
Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

How much are they asking? It honestly sounds like with your lack of knowledge is stay away unless you can get it for a steal, like $1000.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Teching In

$1150 well I'm still learning and my dads a mechanic but he's overseas so I can't really ask him to help me but I kinda know some stuff, just not much about lt1's but for $1150 it sounds pretty good to me
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Teching In

And if it is just the head gasket then it'll be a great project for me to do over summer when I'm not at work and I can have it done in time for school.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Head gasket isn't too hard, it can be done in the car, but if you don't know too much history you could run into a whole heap of work like Numba20 did with his, but you will learn alot. If offer $1000 cash and see if he takes it, and get more answers about the parts on it, a written list, even if you don't understand it, we can interpret it.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Okay thanks, I'll definitely do that
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Andre Phillips
This is the ad for the car " I have a 1996 Z28 Camaro with a LT1 5.7 350 motor and a 4L60E automatic transmission that i have been building as a project, however other expenses have arose and don't have funds to keep on building. Motor has been port and polished and has edelbrock performer mid length headers and 3 inch exhaust, sounds very good. Car needs a head gasket which is very cheap if you do it yourself" my phone won't let me share the actual link for some reason
Could you post the link whenever you get the chance?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Teching In

I tried posting the link but I'm on my phone and it keeps switching the link to the ls1 site for some reason.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Andre Phillips
$1150 well I'm still learning and my dads a mechanic but he's overseas so I can't really ask him to help me but I kinda know some stuff, just not much about lt1's but for $1150 it sounds pretty good to me
The problem is you don't see the long list that this can become. Yeah, I head gasket is 50 bucks for a set? But what happens if it overheated and it needs more parts. This can get into a long list and you can easily put another 1150 into that car, ask me how I know this.....

Quick Reply: z28 lt1 5.7 350 needs head gasket