LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New engine missfire. 95 OBD1

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New engine missfire. 95 OBD1

Okay, so I have just swapped out my old 383 for another. The one I put in has a tuned ecu as well. I have a SES light that comes and goes, but cannot check the code, as it is a obd1 computer with a obd2 connector. I have replaced the following: Optispark,ICM,Coil, with no change. Definitely a ignition related problem, because when the SES light comes on and stays on, it runs beautifully. What do i use to check these codes, as the damn car will not make it .5mile without breaking up like something fierce. The only way it will clear up is to rev it up and drive for may 5 seconds before it is doing it again. Whats left to replace? MAF, MAP, TPS. Also has no evap.

Anyone have any input?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

i would say o2 sensors, but without having the vehicle scanned your just throwing money at it, it may be worth it to take it to a shop and have a diagnostic done, may be worth it to find out what wrong with the car before thowing parts at it
Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by armyinfantry3id
i would say o2 sensors, but without having the vehicle scanned your just throwing money at it, it may be worth it to take it to a shop and have a diagnostic done, may be worth it to find out what wrong with the car before thowing parts at it
I agree. I already had spare's on the parts replaced. Also has one new 02 sensor, and the ecm does not look at those untill it reaches closed loop operation, which dosent matter. Closed,or Open still misses. What scan tool do i need to use. Will a snap-on solus read them?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you get this fixed? Curious.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ponch95
Did you get this fixed? Curious.
Yes, I did. It was a simple fix.
I was running it with open headers, and it had set a O2 Lean code for both banks.. DUH! So, i put on the full exhaust and wala. It runs great!

Curious, do you remember what rear gear you had the ecu tuned for? I have 4:10's and it seem to be running about 10-20MPH high, speed dependent.

Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by qck_95_z28
Yes, I did. It was a simple fix.
I was running it with open headers, and it had set a O2 Lean code for both banks.. DUH! So, i put on the full exhaust and wala. It runs great!

Curious, do you remember what rear gear you had the ecu tuned for? I have 4:10's and it seem to be running about 10-20MPH high, speed dependent.

Thanks again.
I had the same problem but mine was running rich with open headers not leann..and a snap on scanner will read the 95.. but the cheapo autozone scanners wont nor will any cheap scanner they say connection error
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28harcor
I had the same problem but mine was running rich with open headers not leann..and a snap on scanner will read the 95.. but the cheapo autozone scanners wont nor will any cheap scanner they say connection error
Hm, that's extremely odd for the o2's to see it running rich. It should have been monitoring more air since the O2's are at the back of the collector in the header, and in return adding more fuel, causing it to run too rich.

I tried to read the codes with 2 cheaper Code readers without success, but i was lucky enough to have work let me bring home the Tech 2.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

My rearend is a Stange S-60 with 3:73 gears

Quick Reply: New engine missfire. 95 OBD1