LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 B4C Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 B4C Build

Hey everyone,
I'm new to Camaros and wanted to start a build thread to track progress and allow input from the knowledgeable users here to get me on the right track.

The Basics:
B4C: LT1 and 6 speed
84,000 original miles
Lowered 2 inches with Eibach springs
No cat or real exhaust and no o2 sensors
Hurst shifter
Maroon in color with a black stripe

The Bad:
-SES light on

- Ugly color

-Low coolant light on

-Gas gauge is off by about a 1/4 tank

-Ride is pretty rough

-Ugly C4 Vette wheels need to go

-Needs a new bumper and driver front fender...considering a LS front end/headlight swap

-Weak key fob response

-Needs exhaust

-A/C is charged and blows cold but only when the AC compressor relay is pulled and you jump the terminals; but blows strong and cold when that's done; haven't checked the in car fuses yet just the fuse block at the motor

-ABS INOP light on; but brakes work fine and have a 3rd brake light

-Passenger window trim on the outside pops out

-Little interior parts: Blown speakers, center console needs pin for hinge, glovebox doesn't always latch

-Slow power windows

All the issues listed above taken into consideration I'm happy with the car. It drives fine and doesn't seem to have any issues. I have taken it on some trips and it did just fine and still wasn't too much of a gas hog. Ordered my ALDL cable today so hopefully I will be able to read codes/data log soon..

Being stationed in 29 Palms, CA and recently having a baby my first priority is AC followed by exhaust and SES light. This isn't my DD, more of a weekend car, but I would like to be able to drive it comfortably when I need/want to. I will add more as it comes to me....Pictures attached.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell size rear exhaust is that??? it looks Huge! I like the color alot. The ac might be as simple of a fix as needing a recharge.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Idk what size the rear exhaust is...this is how I bought the car...I know it is straight piped, obnoxiously loud and that's where the rear dumps at

the AC has a charge but from the **** on the dash will not make the compressor kick on. I have read about HVAC codes keeping the PCM from allowing the comnpressor to come on. I jumped the AC Compressor clutch terminal briefly to see if the compressor worked and it pumped cold air out just fine...just can't figure out where the disconnect is between the compressor and the ****...checked the fuse in the car as well...may need to look at the pressure switches I guess....
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Launching!

Nice project! I don't understand why but the more I look at those corvette wheels on your car, the more I like them. And I've always hated them on the old vettes. Good luck with your plans!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I'm pretty excited just want to get the ball rolling and have fun.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Got my ALDL cable...going to dive in and see how this thing works.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Just to help you out with a couple problems, you say you dont have any o2 sensors? if you dont have the front o2 sensors the car will run pretty rich and use a lot of fuel as well as turn on the ses light

what year is the car?

The rough ride is probably because of the aftermarket springs, although these cars arent really that smooth to begin with.

The guages: tachometer/oil pressure/fuel are known to be off on some cars. my gas guage reads funky to, on the highway it wont come off full for 120 miles and then it will drop faster as it gets lower. this is because of the shape of the gas tank

A lot of people just unplug the low coolant sensor because its kind of a problem child sensor. My advice is just unplug it and check your coolant level once in a while
Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Teching In

The car is a 1994. I need to check on the o2 sensors but I know the previous owner said they weren't there and I know just by a quick check there's no cat or muffler and it dumps at the 90* toward the drivers side at the back of the car...anyway to just slap a muffler on there? I don't care about emission crap since it's nothing is smogged where I'm from. I probably will just end up unplugging that low coolant light, I checked and it was a hair low so I filled it up and will unplug the sensor to stop that.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had some issues with my low coolant sensor in the past, I just took it out and cleaned it up and it worked again. The gas gauge in my 93 has always been pretty far off.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Teching In

I was able to use Datamaster to monitor my car. I have not forgotten about this thread we just had a baby and it has been a hectic few months. My car threw a MALF 29: EAS Electrical Fault and MALF 77: Fan 1 Fault (car has electric fans on it). No O2 sensor codes, although it is straight piped with no cat and no O2s...I'm confused...this is my first Camaro and I now have to make it smog legal so I am going to find try and find a stock exhaust. Also bizarre was how the AC has only worked by bypassing the relay and now it worked without fault and blew nice cold air..

To add to the interesting start to this story, I had a guy get ahold of me recently and let me know the car has been through roughly 4 owners in the past year..yikes! I want to try and fix it up and give it a long term home.

Attached is a video of the log:
Old 10-04-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by akdiesel
looks like you have an adjustable panhard bar as well
Old 10-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Right on. Thanks for pointing that out. I also think I have a KN FIPK. I'm pretty happy with the car so far just need some sort of exhaust. I need to figure out where the straight pipe hack job began. It looks like crap under there so I want to slow make this car as nice as it should be
Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Not cat is fine, 94 doesn't monitor the cat. You need to put the regular 02s back in if there gone.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Teching In

No O2 sensor codes but sadly where I am moving I will need to be smog legal

For reference it is Nevada where for a 94 they do an idle test and a 2500 rpm test. Never had to deal with emissions before...does anyone know if something like a high flow cat is worth it? Looking to make good power without tearing the motor apart as this is my DD.

Last edited by akdiesel; 10-04-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

The hack job I'm dealing with on replacing the exhaust with something smoggable. Also adding photos of the engine bay..let me know if you see anything weird..there is also an MSD CARB badge on the drivers side..assuming MSD Optispark?
Attached Thumbnails 94 B4C Build-20131005_102844.jpg   94 B4C Build-20131005_103401.jpg   94 B4C Build-20131005_103409.jpg   94 B4C Build-20130722_115235.jpg   94 B4C Build-20130722_115300.jpg  

Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post more pics of the exhaust closer to the manifolds. I doubt you don't have O2's. Unless you looked and have confirmed it.

BTW i love that color, it just needs some TLC.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Ill get those pics tomorrow for sure. I realize now that I probably have them the exhaust is just such a shitty setup that I can do pretty much nothing with at the moment. Looking to put a cat and decent catback exhaust on it but the primary concern is smog legality at the moment.

I will also post the Autocheck results tomorrow as well. Shes been passed around haha..wish I knew more history on the car..decently low mileage for a 94 as well

Quick Reply: 94 B4C Build