LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

alternator issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator issues?

I am having a voltage issue that iirc i mentioned in another thread here already. I replaced the battery with a new one, 850cca, because the old one was getting old and noticably weak.

So i put the new battery in, take it out for a spin and notice that slowly but surely my voltage guage is dropping back below the middle mark again.

I have a 140amp alternator currently that is about 25000 miles old. It doesnt make any noise, i am just wondering if its not enough and I should consider a 200amp to run all my electronics (fans,ewp,subs,factory lights, ignition, ect).

I am wondering if I upgraded the wiring between the alt/battery/power block, and between the battery and ground if that would also help me out.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

alright, I finally got a new alternator, I am still having this problem with the guage reading low. This has been verified in tunerpro to be in the lower 12's voltage wise. IIRC it should be really close or over 13 volts?

Anyways I put in a NAPA reman with the 3 yr warranty.
put the fuel pressure guage on for kicks...

get 35ish psi prime and holds 33ish psi at idle, drive around a little, never goes over 40psi.

I got on it once and It got to about 40psi at wot but thats it... that seems to low to me but I cant remember the exact specs from the factory for the fuel pump. To add another loop to it the voltage dropped even lower when i put my foot on the gas.

could the failing pump be causing a big enough voltage draw to cause the lowered voltage.

also would the failing pump be causing all these issues?https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-problems.html

this little bastard has befuddled me^^
Old 08-25-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Take a reading at the battery with the engine running. It is not unusual to see lower voltage at the gauge or reported by a scan. I know it is not supposed to be that way, but it is common to see.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

alright i'll give that a check after i break into it lol ... i had an eventful weekend with it, locked myself out twice and had a flat tire... all within 24 hours

Quick Reply: alternator issues?