LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hear me out lt1

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hear me out lt1

Ok so hear me out. I gotta 94 z28 80,xxx original miles. Its 6 speed, with a 385 stroker motor. (.40) all eagle forged rods & pistons, 11.42:1 compression, afr 210cc heads, lt4 intake ported to march heads, 44 lb injectors, 58mm throttle body, 24x opti delete kit, hooker longtubes, 4" exhaust, advanced induction custom grind cam, tubular lower control arms, sub frame connectors, adjustable pan hard bar ext. moser 9" for rear end. 3.90 gear 31 spline, nodular detroit locker. & of courst the hurst shifter. Spec 3+clutch etc.. But car has been dyno'd at 410hp.. Please tell me if this seems correct with all the money in the motor? I also have 2 bottles of nos set up for it too.. Motors only 2k on build & has nvr been sprayed so. But please some input please.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dowdy705
Ok so hear me out. I gotta 94 z28 80,xxx original miles. Its 6 speed, with a 385 stroker motor. (.40) all eagle forged rods & pistons, 11.42:1 compression, afr 210cc heads, lt4 intake ported to march heads, 44 lb injectors, 58mm throttle body, 24x opti delete kit, hooker longtubes, 4" exhaust, advanced induction custom grind cam, tubular lower control arms, sub frame connectors, adjustable pan hard bar ext. moser 9" for rear end. 3.90 gear 31 spline, nodular detroit locker. & of courst the hurst shifter. Spec 3+clutch etc.. But car has been dyno'd at 410hp.. Please tell me if this seems correct with all the money in the motor? I also have 2 bottles of nos set up for it too.. Motors only 2k on build & has nvr been sprayed so. But please some input please.
It's not terrible but that's kinda low for 6-speed car. The 9" takes a little more power to turn than a 10 bolt but still.

My biggest question is what cam are you running? That would tell us a lot.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Dyno graph would be helpful too. To the track you go!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Dyno graph would be helpful too. To the track you go!
Exactly, we've all had this talk here. The numbers from a dyno are just a benchmark. You might go to the track and be very happy with your time there. But I can tell you that I've seen stock short blocks (and 355's like mine) make more power with just AI heads/cam/intake.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by VAformula
Exactly, we've all had this talk here. The numbers from a dyno are just a benchmark. You might go to the track and be very happy with your time there. But I can tell you that I've seen stock short blocks (and 355's like mine) make more power with just AI heads/cam/intake.
Thats what i was thinking too. Seems a lil low, but it was tuned at blue cat, & im not sure about cam other than its a custom cam with a huge lift. It bucks like crazy & is somewhat difficult to drive. Gets 6 mpg too at that. But anywho, guy who had it before me has had it on the track 8th mile & it was like 8 sec. Possibly, i could be wrong. I got the track times in the glovebox still. All in all i'm happy with it. Its a car iv seen my whole life growing up, & i somewhat know the guy at that. He was asking 7500 for it & i traded him an 03 silverado, 98 z28 roller car, mathews bow, & 1300 boot. Sounds like alot but i dont have no where near 7500 in it. He claimed he has 20k in it. Idk if i believe that or not but i know theres one chunk of change in it. Thanks for the input guys lemme kno something.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Thats what i was thinking too. Seems a lil low, but it was tuned at blue cat, & im not sure about cam other than its a custom cam with a huge lift. It bucks like crazy & is somewhat difficult to drive. Gets 6 mpg too at that. But anywho, guy who had it before me has had it on the track 8th mile & it was like 8 sec. Possibly, i could be wrong. I got the track times in the glovebox still. All in all i'm happy with it. Its a car iv seen my whole life growing up, & i somewhat know the guy at that. He was asking 7500 for it & i traded him an 03 silverado, 98 z28 roller car, mathews bow, & 1300 boot. Sounds like alot but i dont have no where near 7500 in it. He claimed he has 20k in it. Idk if i believe that or not but i know theres one chunk of change in it. Thanks for the input guys lemme kno something.

Its actually 6 sec. On 8th mile sry. Diddent wanna wanna sound too low at first. Lol. But i'd say it do alot better with juice since its all forged. Plenty enough power for me & cant wait for the strip!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

My AI H/C/I on a forged 385 only made right at 400 rwhp on a TH400 but runs 11.0's N/A and 9.9's on spray. This is in a 4200 lb Impala SS. Take it to the track before u get discouraged.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you didn't have it personally tuned? Did the person you got it from provide proof of the tune? I'd be weary of the quality of the tune if not. Either way, you may turn a good track number if you can hammer those gears.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The two biggest questions for low dyno numbers are usually "what type of dyno?" and "who did the tune?".
Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

OP,

If you didn't spec the engine build then it's impossible for us (or you) to really 'know' the engine to determine what the numbers mean.

Cam specs? Quench? These seem to be unknowns at this time and are criticle to nailing down a good mail order tune.

My advice......get it tuned again, on the dyno & the street.

This will (IMO) get rid of the bucking you mentioned.....and.....will squeeze out all available engine power.

THEN.....take that puppy to the track !!!!!!

KW
Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Its actually 6 sec. On 8th mile sry. Diddent wanna wanna sound too low at first. Lol. But i'd say it do alot better with juice since its all forged. Plenty enough power for me & cant wait for the strip!
You do realize that is a low 9 to mid 10 sec car according to your 1/8 time?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6s in the 8th will take more then 420 through a 6 speed unless it's in a tin can. Your first guess of 8s sounds more accurate.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't trust the previous owner's timeslips without some proof they are for that car setup as it is and you know which lane to look at.
Also please post at least what you think the time is to at least the tenth of a second. There is a huge difference between 6.99 and 6.00.

The dyno numbers are no surprise atall.
I agree with those saying take it to the track and run it. Betting 8s the first pass and as you get the hang of it you will whittle it into the 7s, maybe mid 7s if you drive well.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I wouldn't trust the previous owner's timeslips without some proof they are for that car setup as it is and you know which lane to look at.
Also please post at least what you think the time is to at least the tenth of a second. There is a huge difference between 6.99 and 6.00.

The dyno numbers are no surprise atall.
I agree with those saying take it to the track and run it. Betting 8s the first pass and as you get the hang of it you will whittle it into the 7s, maybe mid 7s if you drive well.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll check the time sheets when i get home from work. To give an exact time. & ill try to find out the cam specs. & any other questions i should ask him ? Also the car was tuned by blue cat. By phil. Him & the guy i bought the car off of are close friends.. Theres even a blue cat sticker on the back of the car. So im sure he did a good tune. Lemme know what to ask the guy & ill letcha all know. As far as u all saying 8 sec. Prolly accurate since iv nvr drag raced before, but use to race motocross for 10 yrs or so. Im super nervous & plan on taking it to the strip this fall perhaps.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Dyno numbers alone mean ****. There are 5 dyno's within an hour of me, and you wouldn't believe the variance between them, lol. Even on low powered cars the difference is substantial. The "happy" dyno's are ridiculously high, and the normal ones are like heartbreakers.

Quick Reply: Hear me out lt1