LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speed Inc. alternator reloc/AC delete - anyone else having belt shredding issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed Inc. alternator reloc/AC delete - anyone else having belt shredding issues?

I have the Speed Inc. accessory brackets that delete the AC but keep the power steering and relocate the alternator down low. Within the last 100 miles it has eaten two belts. First time it took one of the ribs off the belt but left the belt usable until I could change it. I attributed this to a bad alternator because even though it was fine when installed, when I removed it the pulley was ****-eyed and the fan was rubbing the case. Installed brand new Delco alternator and figured I was good. Second time I inspected the belt before leaving for a drive and it looked perfect, but about 10 miles away the belt was completely mangled. Ribs seemed to have separated in several locations.

So, has anyone else had this issue? What's the best way to check for and correct pulley alignment? This setup does have a solid tensioner, which I'm not going to lie, seems to want to be tightened more than it should. The belt will chirp with the slightest blip of the throttle unless it's quite tight, so if for some reason I had it overtightened it was because I had to, which is another problem in itself.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what belts are you using? maybe wrong length?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

First belt that lost a rib was what they included with the kit. The replacements are Dayco Polyrib W that use the same part number as the original belt. Lengths are very very close if not the exact same, and the solid tensioner has more than enough adjustment so I don't think that's the issue.

Are there tools/methods (other than just eyeballing it) to check pulley alignment?

Last edited by Birdie2000; 08-06-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have the Speed Inc kit, so I can't comment on that. But I have moved the alternator lower using a modified stock bracket. I had belt chirping issues, and went with a shorter belt. I think I went about 1" shorter. Is there enough adjustment in that idler where you can go shorter maybe?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

I could probably go a hair shorter and with a spring loaded tensioner I could see how this could help, but I'm not sure how that would solve the problem assuming the tensioner has enough adjustment for either length belt.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought, I'm using the stock tensioner so it's a different situation.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Ah yeah, thanks though!

Quick Reply: Speed Inc. alternator reloc/AC delete - anyone else having belt shredding issues?