LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for an option

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for an option

Need some opinions here. You can look back through my post history for the History lesson, I don't feel like going into great detail about the past.

Since the 383 is blown up. and I have my cars original long block sitting under my work bench I was thinking about using it again for a while.
Originally I thought the stock engine had a rod knock, that turned out to be nothing more then a poorly built long tube header. I did unbolt the rod caps and main caps to inspect and look for the cause of the noise but did not figure it out until after the 383 was installed and running the the same noise. All of the mains and rod caps got put right back on and nothing was pulled apart. The stock engine has 96k on it and everything looked good including the cylinder walls.

Here is the question. Can I make sure the bearings are installed right and not misaligned and re torque the rod and main caps back down, install a new oil pump, Use my HD timing set from the 383, make sure everything is clean and use this short block with my LE2 heads off the 383 and maybe a new cam? I could re-flash the PCM with a new tune from madtunner as well and this setup has SVO 30lbs injectors in it on stock fuel pump and pressure. Is this a bad idea or should I have the short block rebuilt? I dont want to do anything with the 383 block for several reasons right now and CASH being the main reason and pistons were not what I wanted either so if I can get the car back on the road for a year or so until I can get a forged 383 short block back together this would be ideal. I know its possible to do it but will it live with out killing its self? Again only the caps were removed and then put right back on. This short block was not dissembled and the pan was put back on but the lifter valley has been open. I'm thinking a good cleaning and it might be able to be used again. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Need some opinions here. You can look back through my post history for the History lesson, I don't feel like going into great detail about the past.

Since the 383 is blown up. and I have my cars original long block sitting under my work bench I was thinking about using it again for a while.
Originally I thought the stock engine had a rod knock, that turned out to be nothing more then a poorly built long tube header. I did unbolt the rod caps and main caps to inspect and look for the cause of the noise but did not figure it out until after the 383 was installed and running the the same noise. All of the mains and rod caps got put right back on and nothing was pulled apart. The stock engine has 96k on it and everything looked good including the cylinder walls.

Here is the question. Can I make sure the bearings are installed right and not misaligned and re torque the rod and main caps back down, install a new oil pump, Use my HD timing set from the 383, make sure everything is clean and use this short block with my LE2 heads off the 383 and maybe a new cam? I could re-flash the PCM with a new tune from madtunner as well and this setup has SVO 30lbs injectors in it on stock fuel pump and pressure. Is this a bad idea or should I have the short block rebuilt? I dont want to do anything with the 383 block for several reasons right now and CASH being the main reason and pistons were not what I wanted either so if I can get the car back on the road for a year or so until I can get a forged 383 short block back together this would be ideal. I know its possible to do it but will it live with out killing its self? Again only the caps were removed and then put right back on. This short block was not dissembled and the pan was put back on but the lifter valley has been open. I'm thinking a good cleaning and it might be able to be used again. Let me know your thoughts.
I don't know if I read this right..But I would use the stock long block no problem with heads and cam off your other motor. If the caps have been removed I say bearings is a must...that's the part I was un-sure of which motor you were talking about.

If the factory long block hasn't been touched. I say use the timing set heads cam ect on it off of the 383 and go to town.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

On my Old stock block I removed the main and rod bearing caps to inspect but did not remove the bearings and just snugged them back down. I did them one at a time and then closed up the bottom end. I never took any of the bottom end parts out other then removing the caps one at a time and then re installing them. Does that make more sense?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

You could get the stock crank polished, plastigauge the rods and mains with new bearing. If it's good slap whatever from the 383 in it or on to it.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

I know I could have it freshened up properly for 1500 with maybe even better pistons but Im trying to keep the cost down with out shooting my self in the foot and tearing up good parts.
My question is more or less since there was nothing wrong with it can I make sure the bearings are seated in mains and rods properly and re-torque them and use this bottom end or do I now have to take it to someone and let them clean up the crank and re size for bearings since I inspected them?
I know this is being cheap but as long as it is clean in there I cant see why I wouldn't be able to just re-torque everything and use it. Spending $600 is about all I have to get it back together again and for the foreseeable future since it would be maybe February before I could afford to do a little more to the stock bottom end. Tight time of the year for us and the ****** let go right after Vacation was paid for and fuel killed me this year in the FL keys since the wife wanted to go a week early and marina fuel was at 5.20 a gallon and diesel was over 4.00 a gallon. Between the boat and the truck I think the Camaro even with stroke, heads and cam is more efficient then both of them. Would like to get it back on the road.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Makes more sense yes. I would do like mentioned above and have the crank polished and put bearings in it. That would be very cheap to do and would give you some reassurance.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:37 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with draggin. Have the crank polished, it shouldn't remove enough material to matter, then put a set of standard bearings for the rods and mains. Reuse your timing set off the 383 after a very good cleaning, reuse the heads after cleaning the deck surface, and then pick whatever cam you want and have it tuned. You should be fine and have a nice little 350.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Ok thanks you guys I am going to go try and find someone to polish the crank and get some bearings for it.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

Big question is how many miles on the stock block? Less than 150k mi then u have a nother 150k mi + to go.
Its a chevy. Use an accurate torque wrench and retorque the mains. If your trying to save money thats the way to do it. Heck re-ring and re-bearing overhaul where common practice in the day of cheap labor and u will still find the instructions inside every brand of maintenance manual.

Save the $1500 for a new build while u still have a driver,
cardo

Quick Reply: Looking for an option