LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinions on what to do with my 97 z28?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on what to do with my 97 z28?

Guys I have a 97 z28 with blown head gaskets and not sure if there is any other damage to the motor. The radiator busted driving it one day and car over heated and that was all she wrote. White smoke coming out of the tail pipe and water in the oil. Anyway the car has 150,000 miles on it, and before all of this the car ran great.

I am trying to look at my options on what to do, and cheapest to do. I found a 96 corvette lt4 motor with 41,000 miles on it and they are asking 1,000 for it. Would the motor go in mine with no problem? Should I just rebuild mine? Should I just get it torn down and if everything is okay than just replace the heads? What would you guys do? If I could sale it for a okay price like it is I would probably do that, but I am not going to just give it away.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:48 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lt4 will bolt right in without issue and even be a slight upgrade over your lt1. The cheap route is to get a new radiator and a gasket set, and reach the head gaskets and radiator and be done with it. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. In its current condition though, you will be lucky to get $2000 for it.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If it were me, I'd take the heads to a machine shop and have them checked to see if they are warped and if so, have them milled. Have the valves and guides checked as well. The bottom ends on these cars can last forever if taken care of properly.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I already replaced the radiator because at first that is all we thought it was. I am just trying to find the cheapest route I guess. Doesn't the motor need to be torn down completely to see if maybe the block is cracked or pistons and rods are messed up also?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Be very careful when buying another used motor, especially from a private party. An LT4 from a 1996 Corvette Grand Sport with 41,000 miles on it for only $1,000? That DEFINITELY sounds too good to be true. I've seen regular running LT1s going for more than that.

Unfortunately, a non running LT1 would only sell for a maximum of about $500. (I, personally, think the block, itself, is worth about that much.) I had 2 of them for sale for $500 each or $750 for both. I had it up for 2 years, nobody wanted them, so I decided to just keep them.

Water and oil mix is never a good thing. It can be fixed as long as it hasn't been like that for too long but if it has and it forms what looks like a milkshake, a complete rebuild is required. My brother just rebuilt his because of a milkshake and I believe it cost him around $1700 but he also went with a sweet aftermarket cam.

If they're willing to allow you to hear it run, I'd check to see if there are any issues with it. If the issues are minor, and the temp/oil pressure gauges look fine, I'd go that route. If it sounds like it's in just as bad shape as yours, I'd rip apart the LT1 you already have, see how much damage has really been done and go from there.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Mine has just been sitting for about a year, because of no money and could not figure out what was the best route to take to fix it. Problem with that LT4 is the motor is already out of the car, so I am guessing no way to hear it run.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you blew a head gasket. No biggie.. Have your heads milled put on new gaskets and your good to go.. Also change oil and coolant afterwards but that's common sense lol

Quick Reply: Opinions on what to do with my 97 z28?