LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 beginner project

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 beginner project

Can any one tell me a list of tools needed to rebuild my LT1 ? This will be my first rebuild
Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned

deleted.

Post like this will not be tolerated and violate the forum rules.

Last edited by JasonShort; 08-17-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cardo0
Deleted post.
Seriously? Wow...

OP, let me see if I can actually help you out. I know it can be tough figuring out where to start. Rebuilding an engine isn't brain surgery. Once you've figured out the basics it shouldn't be that difficult, but it can be time consuming. My best advise is read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on. I recommend picking up How to Build Max-Performance Chevy LT1/LT4 Engines (
Amazon Link Amazon Link
) Read that a few times and you should start to get an understanding of what's ahead of you, plus it'll have some info on the idiocracies of the LT1 (there are only a few differences between it and a SBC). If you do really want to rebuild it find a reputable engine shop near you. You're probably going to want the engine cleaned up (hot tanked) and have them check out the block and heads to see if they're in good shape. If you want to get into aftermarket rotating assemblies they can help you out with machining the block for things like new pistons or crank shafts. If you start getting into aftermarket parts, BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING, post up on here what you're thinking of for a parts list and let the professors here weigh in (guys like Ed Wright). As for tools, a good set of mechanics tools should have most of what you need. You'll also need a torque wrench for things like the heads, rods, and main caps.

Last edited by JasonShort; 08-17-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 PM

Cardo who are you, you dont know me from a can of paint let alone what kind of knowledge I hold so you should go ahead and check yourself and you sound dumb as hell , im going to go ahead and dismiss u .

[deleted profanity]

Last edited by JasonShort; 08-17-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Jewbacc... thank you were a big help. I have been reading everything I can and im starting to get a clear mind on the basics. I've been talking to a few local mechanics I know and they been really planting this stuff into my head , I have seen that book on amazon but didn't know how good of a book it was. Do u strongly recommend? Yea and I am going to let the machine work be left to the machine shop and to every that can be done by hand by hand. Im sorts confident on this project. Again thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Beetha
Cardo who are you, you dont know me from a can of paint let alone what kind of knowledge I hold so you should go ahead and check yourself and you sound dumb as hell , im going to go ahead and dismiss u .
Well......I'm kinda with Cardo0 on this.

The number one tool you need is the knowledge on how to do a rebuild.

A basic component in that knowledge is knowing what tools are necessary to complete the job.

Not knowing what tools are needed tells me that you would require intense supervision to undertake this endeaver.

Sorry.....just callin' it as I see it.

KW

Last edited by JasonShort; 08-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

It's a good book to start understanding the a few of the differences in the LT1 itself. You can find the same info in that book on the internet, but sometimes it's nice to have something you can read on the john . Another one you could look into for SBC assembly is How to Rebuild the Small-Block Chevrolet: Step-by-Step Videobook (
Amazon Amazon
). That's another one where you can find all the info you need on the internet these days, but sometimes it's nice to have a reference sitting next to you. Look into Plastigauge. It's a great way to figure out what size bearings you need to go with if you need to have the block machined without having to spend money on specialty tools (it also can't hurt to check your tolerances even if you're just rolling in new bearings). Another thing, if you're wanting to build more than a stock engine, or are wanting a power adder (super/turbocharger, or a big shot if nitrous) you'll have to get into things like changing ring gap, but you can always search or ask questions here. I think it's great you want to do this yourself. You just need to take it slow, double check what you do, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I know I will be when I start on my turbo build the winter, since it'll be new for me. Don't let what cardo said keep you from asking questions. Sadly there are guys like him on here, but not too many. Most of the guys on here with true knowledge are willing to answer questions. What you might want to do is after you done some reading, jot down anything you're a little fuzzy on and search the forum. If you can't find an answer, or if you aren't sure about the answer you found, post it up and let the masters help you out.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

......I have seen that book on amazon but didn't know how good of a book it was.......
I have that book and it does NOT tell you how to rebuild a LT1/LT4 engine.

What it is, is something more resembling a parts list for high(er) performing LTx engine builds.....mostly using parts from TPiS.

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the lowest.....I'd give this book a measely 2.5....

Wish I hadn't bought it.

KW
Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
Well......I'm kinda with Cardo0 on this.

The number one tool you need is the knowledge on how to do a rebuild.

A basic component in that knowledge is knowing what tools are necessary to complete the job.

Not knowing what tools are needed tells me that you would require intense supervision to undertake this endeaver.

Sorry.....just callin' it as I see it.

KW
It's one thing to tell the guy that he needs to turn into a sponge and start sucking up all the knowledge he can get. It's another thing to call him a troll. Sure, not everyone posts up with completely "newb" questions, but you gotta start somewhere. I just figure it's better to try and steer a new guy in the right direction instead of being an ******* and turning him off from the hobby. I totally agree that in this situation you can never have too much knowledge, but, depending on what you are wanting to do with it, rebuilding an engine isn't THAT hard to do. Especially something like a stock rebuild. If he starts getting into power adders then the required knowledge goes up, but as long as he's willing to learn he shouldn't be scared off from doing some really cool **** with his car.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
I have that book and it does NOT tell you how to rebuild a LT1/LT4 engine.

What it is, is something more resembling a parts list for high(er) performing LTx engine builds.....mostly using parts from TPiS.

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the lowest.....I'd give this book a measely 2.5....

Wish I hadn't bought it.

KW
Good to know. I've talked to some people who had it, and thought it had some useful info, but I know it doesn't really have anything you can't find online. I've skimmed through friends copies, but didn't get a chance to sit down and read it. Glad someone with that book could chime in. Do you know of anything you could recommend him as far as reference for doing the rebuild? I've been lucky enough to have friends that have some serious knowledge, and that I can ask any time, but not everyone has that luxury.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM

I am pretty new to this. Im pretty confident though , jewbacca you are cool folks there need to be more people like you. I cant wait til I finnally get this rebuild done im going to post a video just to show you the success
Old 08-16-2013, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

As for tools what do you have? You basically need good sockets snd ratchets, different kinds of pliers for various things, screw drivers, and wrenchs. That's the basics.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

I am pretty new to this. Im pretty confident though , jewbacca you are cool folks there need to be more people like you. I cant wait til I finnally get this rebuild done im going to post a video just to show you the success
Hey, I remember when I was young and inexperienced, but what's important is to not be afraid to ask questions. I know next to nothing compared to guys like Ed Wright who pioneered a lot on these engines and it's great to have guys like him on here who are willing to answer questions. I like to live by the saying that there are no stupid questions. And trust me, not sure if cardo was having a bad day or something, but comments like his are usually the exception, not the norm. I mean we haven't turned into Yellow Bullet yet...
Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Thanks bro. Right now I have a tourque wrench , a 40 piece socket set and some screw drivers laying around. Ill add a wrench too my list like u said. Any special tools?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

If you are planning on assembly? Die grinder and stones to de burr, roloc scotchbright pads to prep surfaces, tap set to chase threads, an assortment of gun bore brushes and a rod to clean oil passages, an aluminum pan and solvent with a brush to clean bolts and small parts, piston ring filer, piston ring compressor, long 5/16 bolts for a cam install handle, balancer installer/ puller , oil pump priming device, rod bolt stretch guage, magnetic base and dial indicator, degree wheel, calipers, mics, inside mics, welder, air compressor, blow gun, access to a pressure washer, 3 jaw puller for crank timing gear, lots of brake clean, simple green, assembly lube... Still want to tackle this? Do a lot of reading and ask a lot of questions. See if you can find someone willing to help with your project.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

bring it to a shop, just pull the motor yourself, its going to need machine work anyway let the pros do it right
Old 08-16-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
If you are planning on assembly? Die grinder and stones to de burr, roloc scotchbright pads to prep surfaces, tap set to chase threads, an assortment of gun bore brushes and a rod to clean oil passages, an aluminum pan and solvent with a brush to clean bolts and small parts, piston ring filer, piston ring compressor, long 5/16 bolts for a cam install handle, balancer installer/ puller , oil pump priming device, rod bolt stretch guage, magnetic base and dial indicator, degree wheel, calipers, mics, inside mics, welder, air compressor, blow gun, access to a pressure washer, 3 jaw puller for crank timing gear, lots of brake clean, simple green, assembly lube... Still want to tackle this? Do a lot of reading and ask a lot of questions. See if you can find someone willing to help with your project.
I don't know, do you think he's going to need all that for a stock/mild rebuild? Plastigauge can take care of the need for inside mics. I also don't see a reason to degree the cam. Even if he's installing an aftermarket cam, most people are fine installing it straight up. Sure you might not be getting the most out of the cam, but it's not going to cause any failures. Having the engine hot-tanked will take care of most of the cleaning. A 3-jaw puller can be rented. Most of what you have there should certainly used on a serious (max effort) engine, but on stock, or even mild, rebuild I don't see the need to check rod bolt stretch...

But I do agree about finding someone local who can help you out!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 PM

Isn't most of what gjohnsonw6 mentioned going to be done at the machine shop? Im willing to do the stuff that require my hands .
Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Oh, you will need a piston ring compressor, but those a reasonably cheap.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

The crank hub is easy to install. We just used some grease (have to ask what kind) and just hit it with a map gas torch. Slid right on. Also, a piston ring filer is pretty cheap, but you might be able to find someone with on that you can barrow. I swear some of these guys are making it out to be harder than it is.

The machine shop should get most of the gunk off for you, but it's a good idea to just double check everything is clean. There can still be some crap left in oil passages. Check out this thread on GRM, it has some great info: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...g/65226/page1/

If you end up going with some ported heads (AI or LE) they will come assembled. If your reusing your heads you can have the machine shop assemble them for you so you don't need to buy things like a spring compressor.

Quick Reply: LT1 beginner project