LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Fbody Swap (97LT1 to Vette LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Fbody Swap (97LT1 to Vette LT1)

Ok, while I'm new to the board, I'm a long time F-Body driver.

First car was an 88 Z28, and over the past 17 years I've acquired, raced, driven, and even wrecked F-body's every year. Currently, I'm the proud owner of an abandoned 97 30th anniversary 6-speed Z28. I love this car, and, in fact, it's my favorite production year: 30th anniversary made this car, at the time, the longest consecutively produced sportscar in history! (Guys, check my facts, but I believe I'm right). Did not Mustang skip a year or two in production? And, I know Corvette took 1983 off (1984 would have been 30 years straight for them).

Anyway, just a side note with little research done to back it up.

I'm writing today to indicate that I'm looking to swap my LT1 for many reasons (like I mentioned, this car was abandoned...the previous owner(s) severely neglected this car). The engine is on it's way out, although it still starts and runs, it's behaving like a 200k engine, with only 105k on it.

Secondly, I'm losing 3rd gear in my trans., so, in time I'll need a transplant anyways.

My thinking is this: although I'd love to drop in an LS1, I don't really have the budget for the changeover. (I read it needs a computer and wiring change, as well as even suspension?).

I've been a fan of the 4-bolt mains that Corvette has produced (all of it's life?). In the mid-90s Corvette produced some pretty sweet 4bolt main LT1s. Has anyone swapped an Corvette LT1 into their pre-98 F-body before? I'm not finding much out there for that, but if you can point me in the right direction, I'd love the insight!

Thank you for any feedback!

J
'97 30th Anniversary, Metallic Burgundy, M6 Z28
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by epikkjustin
Ok, while I'm new to the board, I'm a long time F-Body driver.

First car was an 88 Z28, and over the past 17 years I've acquired, raced, driven, and even wrecked F-body's every year. Currently, I'm the proud owner of an abandoned 97 30th anniversary 6-speed Z28. I love this car, and, in fact, it's my favorite production year: 30th anniversary made this car, at the time, the longest consecutively produced sportscar in history! (Guys, check my facts, but I believe I'm right). Did not Mustang skip a year or two in production? And, I know Corvette took 1983 off (1984 would have been 30 years straight for them).

Anyway, just a side note with little research done to back it up.

I'm writing today to indicate that I'm looking to swap my LT1 for many reasons (like I mentioned, this car was abandoned...the previous owner(s) severely neglected this car). The engine is on it's way out, although it still starts and runs, it's behaving like a 200k engine, with only 105k on it.

Secondly, I'm losing 3rd gear in my trans., so, in time I'll need a transplant anyways.

My thinking is this: although I'd love to drop in an LS1, I don't really have the budget for the changeover. (I read it needs a computer and wiring change, as well as even suspension?).

I've been a fan of the 4-bolt mains that Corvette has produced (all of it's life?). In the mid-90s Corvette produced some pretty sweet 4bolt main LT1s. Has anyone swapped an Corvette LT1 into their pre-98 F-body before? I'm not finding much out there for that, but if you can point me in the right direction, I'd love the insight!

Thank you for any feedback!

J
'97 30th Anniversary, Metallic Burgundy, M6 Z28
The 2-bolt and 4-bolt LT1 blocks are the same. The 2 bolt blocks even have the spot in the block for the extra bolt for 4 bolt mains.

As far as an LS motor, of course it'd be harder, but it's not too tough. You do need to re-pin some of the LS engine harness, and use an LS PCM. You don't need to change the suspension though. One of the things you do need to change is the k-member (either a stock, or aftermarket tubular k-member will bolt right up).

Depending on how bad your engine is it might be cheaper to rebuild it. The only internal difference between the Vette and F-Body LT1's are the mains. And 4 bolt mains aren't really required till you his some high HP numbers. Plenty of guys are at 400+ to the wheels without 4-bolt mains.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the insight. Perhaps, I'll just look into a rebuild? I'm in Northwest Montana. Anybody have a shop recommendation?

I'm not very interested in developing massive amounts of HP in my Camaro. I do a ton of driving here in MT and I enjoy every mile behind the windshield of my F-body. So, I'm looking at longetivity. I'd like one day for my odo to read 300k....and keep going!

I've driven a few vettes before, and even the idle of those motors in more impressive. I attribute it to the 4bolt main. Perhaps, I can have my LT1 rebuilt and have the two bolts added for more durability?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by epikkjustin
Thanks for the insight. Perhaps, I'll just look into a rebuild? I'm in Northwest Montana. Anybody have a shop recommendation?

I'm not very interested in developing massive amounts of HP in my Camaro. I do a ton of driving here in MT and I enjoy every mile behind the windshield of my F-body. So, I'm looking at longetivity. I'd like one day for my odo to read 300k....and keep going!

I've driven a few vettes before, and even the idle of those motors in more impressive. I attribute it to the 4bolt main. Perhaps, I can have my LT1 rebuilt and have the two bolts added for more durability?
I think the idle on the Vette has a lot more to do with the true dual exhaust than how many bolts the main caps have. Having the extra bolts won't do a thing for exhaust sound. Perhaps the Vette you heard was a 96, in which case it'd have had the LT4, which is a bit more stout than a normal LT1. If you're engine is in bad shape then I'd look into either a rebuild, or buying a long block and swapping it in. At the power levels you're looking at, the extra bolts in the mains won't provide any durability. When you're in there and are feeling like you want a bit more power, but don't want to lose drive-ability I'd look into the LPE 211/219 cam. It's great for letting the engine breath a bit more without making it drive different than stock.

Quick Reply: LT1 Fbody Swap (97LT1 to Vette LT1)