LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump replacement

Looking to replace the oil pump on my lt1 z28 but was wondering if anyone has done it and knows why has to be done or has pictures of there's thanks any help is highly appreciated
Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

why would you want to replace it? It is the best lubricated part in the engine. Doing it as a "preventative" is not bright especially if you have to ask about it meaning you are more likely to screw it up than resolve any non-existant issue, and if here is a problem like low pressure that is vastly more likely to be bearings than the pump.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Quick Step by Step

Originally Posted by Z28akagluemaker
Looking to replace the oil pump on my lt1 z28 but was wondering if anyone has done it and knows why has to be done or has pictures of there's thanks any help is highly appreciated
1. Disconnect motor and trans mounts
2. Disconnect Exhaust
3. Using Engine Hoist - raise engine as high as you can physically get it.
4. Drain oil and drop oil pan - You may need to loosen the six K-member bolts one or two turns for oil pan clearance.
5. Remove and replace oil pump and intermediate shaft.

Not too tough (I've done it twice on LT1s myself) , but I would not try and tackle it in anything less than a weekend.

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
why would you want to replace it? It is the best lubricated part in the engine. Doing it as a "preventative" is not bright especially if you have to ask about it meaning you are more likely to screw it up than resolve any non-existant issue, and if here is a problem like low pressure that is vastly more likely to be bearings than the pump.
^this^ The last 250k mile SBC stock oil pump I pulled out still had tighter clearance gear-to-gear and gears-to-housing than a brand new Melling pump. That engine had slightly low oil pressure, but it was worn cam bearings, not the oil pump.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit too late but for anyone who looking how to change the oil pump for their lt1 fbody. Just need to lift the front end, disconnect the battery, unbolt the exhaust connected to the headers, remove motor oil from motor,unbolt starter, remove flywheel cover, disconnect the oil leveler sensor from the oil leveler on the oil pan so you dont rip the wire, unbolt the hose thats above the oil filter and make sure you have a bucket or something to have the water fall in when you unbolt it, disconnect hose from smog pump i believe so you can move the hose that block the oil pan bolts and a couple of other hoses that block the oil pan bolts, lift the motor a bit with the cherry picker to take out the motor mount bolts, if motor mounts bolt dont come out with wiggling then you have motor lifted to much or needs to be lifted more, once motor mounts bolts are off you can lift the motor up abit then you can loosen the oil pan bolts, after oil pan bolts are removed the oil pan should fall and hit the kmember and then you might need to lift the motor up more to take out the oil pan. Might've forgotten some few things but no need to drop the kmember. Sounds like a hard job but really isnt if you have worked on cars before and the tools for the job. Hope this helps for anyone who is looking to change the oil pump on their lt1 fbody

Quick Reply: Oil pump replacement