LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Safe nitrous shot size

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe nitrous shot size

I tried to put it in the nitrous section here, but in 4 days all I got told is that I need to run race gas, (which I already know). What would be the largest shot I can take and be "safe"? I have hyper-u dome pistons creating a 13.7 CR and a yank SS 4000 stall. I want to shoot about a 125 if possible? Thanks for your help guys!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VAformula
I tried to put it in the nitrous section here, but in 4 days all I got told is that I need to run race gas, (which I already know). What would be the largest shot I can take and be "safe"? I have hyper-u dome pistons creating a 13.7 CR and a yank SS 4000 stall. I want to shoot about a 125 if possible? Thanks for your help guys!
Don't ever shoot it if the engine is below 3K, maybe bring it on with a progressive so you don't spin tires and it is easier on the engine.

The first time I ran a 100 shot the progressive started at 25% and ramped to 100% during 2 seconds. Didn't even notice the nitrous as it came on so slow, next pass went from 30% to 100% in a second and it was noticeable.

I use a Leash Electronics Nitrous Progressive, way better than the Maximizer.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

How "safe" a shot you run is all in the tune. Get someone who knows how to tune and you'll go through many bottles without issue. One thing.. don't ever use it in an overdrive gear.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
How "safe" a shot you run is all in the tune. Get someone who knows how to tune and you'll go through many bottles without issue. One thing.. don't ever use it in an overdrive gear.
Agree on the tune comment> It's the maker or the breaker
The caution against using overdrive applies to most? cars. However, with a stout trans build, it's no issue. With the gearing in my car, I'm in 4th at 900 feet when spraying the 100 shot.

To know how close to the limit you are, we need to know your engine setup. How much NA hp are you making? Unless it's already over 500 NA at the crank, then a 125 shot is no issue at all WITH A COMPETENT NITROUS TUNE and A FUEL SYSTEM THAT IS UP TO THE TASK.
I'm running the stock hypers and making about 660 at the crank with the 100 shot. I DO mix race gas in when spraying.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
That makes complete sense. So, by an overdrive gear you mean spray it before you reach 4th gear? That's what I'm assuming that means?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Agree on the tune comment> It's the maker or the breaker
The caution against using overdrive applies to most? cars. However, with a stout trans build, it's no issue. With the gearing in my car, I'm in 4th at 900 feet when spraying the 100 shot.

To know how close to the limit you are, we need to know your engine setup. How much NA hp are you making? Unless it's already over 500 NA at the crank, then a 125 shot is no issue at all WITH A COMPETENT NITROUS TUNE and A FUEL SYSTEM THAT IS UP TO THE TASK.
I'm running the stock hypers and making about 660 at the crank with the 100 shot. I DO mix race gas in when spraying.
I'm running almost the same set up as you (we've talked about our engines before if you happen to remember?) I have a AI 200 package with the about the same cam as you and a 355 block with a stock crank and hyper dome pistons.

As for HP I don't know yet as my engine is going in the car in the next week or so, but I hope to be somewhere near what you make? I've used your build as my goal numbers (such as drag times and dyno).
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by VAformula
That makes complete sense. So, by an overdrive gear you mean spray it before you reach 4th gear? That's what I'm assuming that means?
You can use it through 4th gear, but that's it. I just know of many dummys to have put N20 on their car, went to the track, found out they didn't have enough gear so they go through the traps in 5th on the hose wanting a good ET and a few days later wonder why they're burning more oil than gas... Don't burn out while spraying either.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify: I was talking A4 trans, where OD means 4th.
I realize now that SS RRR is talking M6.
.....and I think he means, 'don't spray during your burnout'
Old 08-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Just to clarify: I was talking A4 trans, where OD means 4th.
I realize now that SS RRR is talking M6.
.....and I think he means, 'don't spray during your burnout'
Yeah, I have an auto, so I now again think it is 4th? and I won't spray during the burnout

Quick Reply: Safe nitrous shot size