LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 lt1 overheating help im nrw to f-bodys

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 lt1 overheating help im nrw to f-bodys

So I just got my first z28 and it's got an over heating problem. Dealer said it was a bad head gasket but that was wrong the electtic water pump was bad so replaced that with an own one and I've a got a few leaky hoses not a big deal but I Cant hear my fans turn on and I have no heat but no coolant on the floor inside. Anyone had this problem and could please be of some actual help and not be a ***** about it. I would really appreciate it
Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly sounds like you've got a ton of problems. What mods do you have? Are you SURE the electric pump is working properly? Are all of the hoses connected properly? Leaking hoses IS a big deal so get that fixed, like now. What temps are you actually seeing? Stock the car is intended to run up in the 230-degree range. Many people thing this is overheating when in fact it's completely normal.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM

It's got headers, throttle body and spacer, exhaust, and msd wires and distribitor. But ya I'm sure about the pump cause I hard wired it to the battery and it ran but didn't pump enough for it and it was half *** wired in but could the fan problem just be a relay? And how do I test those. But ya a lot of the hoses are just dry rotted and being that the car is almost 20 it's not a big deal and easy fix and fairly cheap. But what on the gauge for the temp is it supposed to be at last the half way or right around there. Cause I'm new to this whole thing I'm used to s10s ha ha
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bad t stat?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you want to know about the cooling system and how to do some testing read this.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with the cheap hoses. After that, make sure there is no air in the lines (just take it for a long spin, and let it cool off for a while and make sure the radiator is topped off).

If still hot, replace the thermostat (you can get a 160 thermostat which will cool it further).

If still hot, verify the fans are coming on, if so you can get a fan switch to help cool it when you want.

If nothing is leaking and its still hot, make sure you still don't have coolant on the passenger floor (heater core). This almost sounds like an issue if you can't get heat in the car (or a bad thermostat).

Next, verify your water pump is actually working. Look at the gauge and verify the temps cycle (as coolant is being transferred by the water pump).

After all that, there's not a lot left past a new radiator. One of these things will be the cause.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3/4 up the temp gauge is about when the fans kick on stock. Do you have a/c? If so, turn it on. The fans should come on if the a/c system actually works. It sounds like you just aren't familiar with this platform.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Ya it's my first camaro I'm used to s-10s and a pully fan so how everything is layed out and how most of it is electric so I'm kinda lost cause just how different it is. But the ac works as far as I know but I need to get my heater fixed cause that's not blowing hot air at all even when the car is warm and I'm still not getting radiator fans at all. How do I test the relays so I'm not replacing things that don't need to be
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

swap the abs relay for the #1 fan relay, and the air pump relay for the #2. if your fans work, there ya go. replace those relays

you don't have heat because your heater core needs flushing. its full of sediment. common problem on the lt1
Old 08-30-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 94-z28
Ya it's my first camaro I'm used to s-10s and a pully fan so how everything is layed out and how most of it is electric so I'm kinda lost cause just how different it is. But the ac works as far as I know but I need to get my heater fixed cause that's not blowing hot air at all even when the car is warm and I'm still not getting radiator fans at all. How do I test the relays so I'm not replacing things that don't need to be
I guess you didn't look into the link I posted about the cooling system. It tells you how you can test the relays and if the fans work. There are also other articles on that page (if you scroll up and down) that have more info about the cooling system, heater core, thermostat and such. It should answer most questions you have.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have your radiator cap tested, that could cause over heating issues if its not holding proper pressure.

If you can get your self a coolant pressure tester that will make life lot easier, autozone might have a loaner check with them.

Disconnect the fan motor, run 2 wires direct power to the fan motor, it should spin fast.
If the fan motor checks out ok, then it could be bad coolant sensor (not giving PCM correct temperature reading when to turn fan on), it could also be bad wiring, relay or open wire ect...

Last edited by LT1; 08-30-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 94 lt1 overheating help im nrw to f-bodys