LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Full Exhaust Suggestions and Opinions Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Exhaust Suggestions and Opinions Needed!

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and this will be my first ever post. I'll attempt to be short winded and keep the post tidy. I'm going to be ordering all the parts for a hopefully killer, 3" dumped true dual setup tomorrow. The car is a 94 T/A.

I've pretty much already decided I will be buying the Pacesetter Long Tube Headers, the race version.
EGR and AIR delete have already been done to this car.

Next on the list will be the mid pipe. I'm still open to both X and H pipe setups. I have heard countless times that X's flow better than H's and give more performance on the top end, although mostly minuscule amounts of said performance. The car is on a completely stock exhaust as it is, from the manifolds back. So either setup will provide a substantially better flow. That being said I really don't intend to milk every horse I can out of the car. The most action it's more than likely gonna see is the occasional "light to light" or interstate action. I'm purely going for a killer sound.

I have been looking at several universal x-pipe kits online.

Jegs Universal X-Pipe Kit -

Hedman Universal X-Pipe Kit -

Among other kits of the likes.
I know some minor fab work would need to happen for either of them but does one stand out to you guys? Or is an x pipe just an x pipe, end of story?

Lastly and most importantly I'm trying to decide on mufflers.
I'm looking for that deep throaty old school muscle car roar.
I have been looking at 3 in particular. The exhaust will be dumped at the rear end.

Dynomax Bullet -
I would like to know the sound differences in the shorter bullet and and the longer one.

Kooks Race Muffler -
I've only ever heard great things about kooks and if this sounds anything like their true dual over axel setup it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Borla XR1 -
I've heard Borla exhausts before. They sound killer and everyone claims they flow extremely well.

I am fully open to new ideas and any suggestions you guys may have. I'm new at this and really am at a standstill until I decide on the parts to order. If I've missed anything please feel free let me know. Gasket and header bolt suggestions would be appreciated too. Thank you so much in advance for any information that you guys can bring to light for me!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you planning an aggressive build later? 2.5" will honestly serve most needs.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

So you will have a loud, raspy, mid 13 sec car?

Seems like rice.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
So you will have a loud, raspy, mid 13 sec car?

Seems like rice.
I'm not after "loud". Just want a good sounding exhaust. If I was after raspy I would be running a y pipe...

It's not going to be very aggressive, no. Car is cammed with ported heads right now. From what I've been told bigger pipe diameter would give a deeper note.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

I went with Borla XR1's. You get what you pay for when it comes to exhaust (or just about anything, ideally).
Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Teching In

I just found out earlier today that I have a GMMG muffler on my car. I have a 2002 Camaro Z/28 that's bone stock and the muffler gives a good deep sound to the car. Its not loud at all, but wakes up when you get to the higher rpms. Its really a great cruising muffler and it will not draw any attention from the cops but still gives the good V8 sound that I like.

Not really sure if you are considering this as a choice but after hearing that you aren't after loud but want I good sounding exhaust, I figured I would give my experience with these. Good luck with the search.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by cmurphy9900
I just found out earlier today that I have a GMMG muffler on my car. I have a 2002 Camaro Z/28 that's bone stock and the muffler gives a good deep sound to the car. Its not loud at all, but wakes up when you get to the higher rpms. Its really a great cruising muffler and it will not draw any attention from the cops but still gives the good V8 sound that I like.

Not really sure if you are considering this as a choice but after hearing that you aren't after loud but want I good sounding exhaust, I figured I would give my experience with these. Good luck with the search.
Thank you guys for all the info. I have heard GMMG only through videos, it sounds gorgeous. I'm not after the entire catback however. Can the mufflers be bought apart from the system? Madhammer and Sweet Thunder muffles look similar to the GMMG mufflers. Anyone ever worked with either of these?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Teching In

I think you're right. I was looking around a little and I wasn't able to find just a muffler from GMMG. Looks like just the whole catback.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

MadHammer made the exhaust for GMMG, and he sells just the chambered muffler. I think its around $100.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

I have heard the Kooks LT with their ORY and a GMMG/Madhammer catback and its the best sounding exhaust to me.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Teching In

If youre not gonna do a high hp build then go LT headers to off road Y then a nice catback (magnaflow, borla, corsa). Will waken the car up considerably without being annoying.

Quick Reply: Full Exhaust Suggestions and Opinions Needed!