LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ported AFR 195 heads for sale…

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ported AFR 195 heads for sale…

I'm selling the Ported AFR 195 heads that are currently on my 396.

I bought these for my 350 build some years back and have no complaints at ALL with these guys, except that for the 396, they're a tad small. And since I ran across a set of AFR 210s, these guys are being sold off to make room for the new units.

They came to me in perfect condition.

I added ARP 7/16th studs, my machine shop set them up with a fresh valve job, new seats, seals and Comp Beehive springs.

They run like a bat out of hell. They're set up to run with the Cam spec'd in my sig. So unless you're using a significantly larger cam you're good to go with these heads. They make an abundance of reliable, sustainable power… pushing my all BUT full weight 1996 Z28 to a 7.4 @ 93 mph 1/8th mile. And depending on how you're geared out back, that's easily tall 11s, low 12s in the 1/4 mile.

Street wise, this car with these heads is a mauler… Not that the heads are all of it, but they're a big part of it.

A 350 LTx build which is presently using stock heads, will benefit significantly, by installing these units… the pictures below were taken when the engine was going back together. They've since made some track passes and have something around 4000 miles on them.

With nothing but synthetic oil having run through the car…

*The Ultra-Pro Magnum Rockers and guides are not for sale, unless…, well you know. (if ya want 'em, expect to pay full price for them, as they're brand new minus the 4000 miles. And that would give you the guide set as well, which are already trimmed for the rockers and THAT would make it the deal of the century… considering the time it takes to set them up. A solid days work… and I don't care who ya are… short of the fastest guide setter-upper in the world.)

I won't be removing these, until the new units are being shipped, but I'm asking:

With 1.6 Comp Ultra-Pro Magnum Rockers and Isky guides: $1995

W/O Rockers and guides: $1400…

$1290 without the 7/16th ARP Rocker Studs.

Last edited by OVA1; 09-30-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love me some AFRs.

If I had the spare cash I would snag these for my DD and stab a little CC503 in it .
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Oh now.. "THAT" would be "an attention getter…" right there.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

So NO ONE needs a set of bad-*** heads to take their 350 LTx setup a fair bit beyond "the next Level"?

Ya can't be serious…

Fella's let me give ya something to consider:

Sure, they've got a few miles on 'em… but they're fresh as a daisy,
promising to give you everything your heart desires.

They're exactly what you're looking for.

They'll provide you that release you crave.

You KNOW you want 'em… they're calling to you. You think about it ALL the time…

And all ya need to do to deserve 'em, is give a little love to get 'em.

Now say it with me…

I want 'em… I want'em BAD!

Last edited by OVA1; 09-30-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

I give ya... about tree-fiddy.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

ROFL!

Now there's a man with a fine, discriminating eye… but a shallow purse.

Thank you for your fine offer good sir, but I'll have to pass.

Feel free to hang out a while and enjoy the show.

(You wann'em… You wann'em BAD…)
Old 09-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Do you have the paperwork for the work done? I'd be curious to see the measured flow numbers after porting.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Do you have the paperwork for the work done? I'd be curious to see the measured flow numbers after porting.
I think they were around 300 IIRC.

Nice heads, just too small for a big 'ol 396. If I wasn't getting the tranny in the TA rebuilt this weekend I'd snag em for a future 355.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Dammit, it sucks to always be broke!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
No I don't have the paper work, I bought 'em two years before the build and the build wrapped up right at three years ago.

I just tried to go back to my build threads and see what I reported there… with regard to all the particulars and the most info I was able to find, (Even emailed the staff at the respective sites for info on any archives they might have and not one response…)

But in what I did find, I said that at .600 they were 290, having been decked down to 58.2cc . Which is worlds apart from stockers in terms of all of the important traits that the air must do, passing through a head for it to build a sound power curve. These ladies MAKE POWER.

I wanted an NA Street mauler, which is what I got as a result of the 12.5 compression that I got with the Flat top SRP pistons. Anyone wanting to induce could easily use a dish piston, setup for whatever compression levels they desire.

In terms of background; the guy I bought these from was a serious racer somewhere in Jersey … who's head guy had worked these units to their max and he needed a bigger head.

IMS: He was buying the same head that I've bought, the AFR 210 LT… except mine are base castings which Lloyd will port to that which HE knows makes sound power and; let's be honest, where the question is "what makes LTx platforms go fast", we're dead center in the middle of his wheel house, so… he's the man.

And he's doing my new heads and, for the FIRST TIME in all the years I've owned this car, I'm going to have something that resembles a plan, beyond 'go fast in the short race'.

I'm psyched!

Last edited by OVA1; 09-30-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OVA1
No I don't have the paper work, I bought 'em two years before the build and the build wrapped up right at three years ago.

I just tried to go back to my build threads and see what I reported there… with regard to all the particulars and the most info I was able to find, (Even emailed the staff at the respective sites for info on any archives they might have and not one response…)

But in what I did find, I said that at .600 they were 290, having been decked down to 58.2cc . Which is worlds apart from stockers in terms of all of the important traits that the air must do, passing through a head for it to build a sound power curve. These ladies MAKE POWER.

I wanted an NA Street mauler, which is what I got as a result of the 12.5 compression that I got with the Flat top SRP pistons. Anyone wanting to induce could easily use a dish piston, setup for whatever compression levels they desire.

In terms of background; the guy I bought these from was a serious racer somewhere in Jersey … who's head guy had worked these units to their max and he needed a bigger head.

IMS: He was buying the same head that I've bought, the AFR 210 LT… except mine are base castings which Lloyd will port to that which HE knows makes sound power and; let's be honest, where the question is "what makes LTx platforms go fast", we're dead center in the middle of his wheel house, so… he's the man.

And he's doing my new heads and, for the FIRST TIME in all the years I've owned this car, I'm going to have something that resembles a plan, beyond 'go fast in the short race'.

I'm psyched!
As Tony Mamo said himself, 195s are killer for a 355...but I think you will be surprised how much the big heads will help you up top on your 396 though.

Maybe if our motors are done around the same time we can see if my shop will give a package discount if we engine dyno them together for initial break-in/tuning .
Old 09-30-2013, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
As Tony Mamo said himself, 195s are killer for a 355...but I think you will be surprised how much the big heads will help you up top on your 396 though.

Maybe if our motors are done around the same time we can see if my shop will give a package discount if we engine dyno them together for initial break-in/tuning .
Oh now that would be very cool….

Did I tell ya about the bent uni frame?

I had some rot out in front of where the LCAs bolt on and they're bent up pretty good… which explains the wheel hop returning out of nowhere.

So, this week, we're yanking the out the carpet and seats and preparing to cut and weld, hopefully this weekend. It's moved the driveshaft back sufficiently far, that it's barely long enough to work.

We'll carve up the wheel wells while we're at it and get them ready for the 295 x 28 Hoosiers. I expect the whole thing to take a few weekends. But at the end of it, we'll have the floor pans back to where they need to be, reinforced and the BMR SFC and Trak-pak ATA all set up.

Somewhere in there will be the 4.10s to replace the 5.13s, keeping it all on the 5 series spool… so, even before the new heads come in, we should see some serious improvements in the launch.

THEN… once the new breathers come into play, we're heading straight for the deep 6, 100+mph 1/8th… NA. Then the roll bar, cuz the track ain't gonna let me play down there anymore, once we open up that brand of whoopass.

After that, we'll get her back up Bradenton for some official 1/4 mile bonafides.

Looking for 10s… NA.

Then come the bottles and well, you know… 9s.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OVA1
Oh now that would be very cool….

Did I tell ya about the bent uni frame?

I had some rot out in front of where the LCAs bolt on and they're bent up pretty good… which explains the wheel hop returning out of nowhere.

So, this week, we're yanking the out the carpet and seats and preparing to cut and weld, hopefully this weekend. It's moved the driveshaft back sufficiently far, that it's barely long enough to work.

We'll carve up the wheel wells while we're at it and get them ready for the 295 x 28 Hoosiers. I expect the whole thing to take a few weekends. But at the end of it, we'll have the floor pans back to where they need to be, reinforced and the BMR SFC and Trak-pak ATA all set up.

Somewhere in there will be the 4.10s to replace the 5.13s, keeping it all on the 5 series spool… so, even before the new heads come in, we should see some serious improvements in the launch.

THEN… once the new breathers come into play, we're heading straight for the deep 6, 100+mph 1/8th… NA. Then the roll bar, cuz the track ain't gonna let me play down there anymore, once we open up that brand of whoopass.

After that, we'll get her back up Bradenton for some official 1/4 mile bonafides.

Looking for 10s… NA.

Then come the bottles and well, you know… 9s.
Looks like I was on the right track thinking bent TQ arm - sounded like something trashed your instant-center. If you didn't have that BULLET PROOF ******* S60 you would have left bits of gears on the track - wheel hop is terrible for the rear end.

My goals are staying modest - only looking for mid-high 10s on nuts with what should be way more then enough power. Chassis has only ever been 11.7s with 200 less hp so will be fun to dial it in from scratch again...Who knows, I may swap the nitrous from the DD and hit it with a baby 150 wet shot for some 9s .

Cam was spec'd for NA use and has way too much overlap for more then a ~150, it will shoot the nitrous straight out the exhaust LOL.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
Looks like I was on the right track thinking bent TQ arm - sounded like something trashed your instant-center. If you didn't have that BULLET PROOF ******* S60 you would have left bits of gears on the track - wheel hop is terrible for the rear end.

My goals are staying modest - only looking for mid-high 10s on nuts with what should be way more then enough power. Chassis has only ever been 11.7s with 200 less hp so will be fun to dial it in from scratch again...Who knows, I may swap the nitrous from the DD and hit it with a baby 150 wet shot for some 9s .

Cam was spec'd for NA use and has way too much overlap for more then a ~150, it will shoot the nitrous straight out the exhaust LOL.
THAT'S RIGHT!

You DID call that. Nailed it brother… I haven't welded in 30 years, so it's going to be interesting. I should have a good bead established about the last weld. So the key is more grinding disks.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Last edited by OVA1; 10-07-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice, love the promo, lol!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Last edited by OVA1; 10-02-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Last edited by OVA1; 10-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Quick Reply: Ported AFR 195 heads for sale…