LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP! good oil pressure at top of block but NO oil getting to the rockers????

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! good oil pressure at top of block but NO oil getting to the rockers????

i Drive a 1993 with a LT1, so here is the story my lifters started making some pretty bad noises, so i replaced them with some new AC delco lifters part # NAL-12499225 from summit , Everything was done very carefully and right, one of the lifters was scorn on the roller but the cam lobe looked good, ok well the car is still making this screeching noise on the ride home, same noise it was, i pulled the valve covers this morning and started it, there isnt a drop of oil getting to the rockers, any of them, im baffled because i have my mechanical oil pressure gauge on the top of the block behind the intake and it reads good pressure across all rpms. any help would be greatly appreciated,
Old 10-12-2013, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Your not getting ANY? It's not a jet stream it should be a tiny trickle tho
Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first. Did you tighten the rocker arm nuts? If not, do so. If you did, Make sure there not to tight. Oil can sometimes take a awhile before it gets up to the rockers. I would set lash and run the car for atleast 3 minutes. I would even hold the throttle at around 2k until you see oil come up. If in the rare case that it doesnt. Then something may be up.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spun cam bearings matches that description...unfortunately.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
First things first. Did you tighten the rocker arm nuts? If not, do so. If you did, Make sure there not to tight. Oil can sometimes take a awhile before it gets up to the rockers. I would set lash and run the car for atleast 3 minutes. I would even hold the throttle at around 2k until you see oil come up. If in the rare case that it doesnt. Then something may be up.

all the rockers are torqued to the specs, Ive had the car running for 10 mins and i even drove it about 10 mins, the drive was before i knew it wasn't getting oil. thats when i noticed the squeak it was making still. Sounds like i should just start the engine build that i was planning on doing anyway.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker665

all the rockers are torqued to the specs, Ive had the car running for 10 mins and i even drove it about 10 mins, the drive was before i knew it wasn't getting oil. thats when i noticed the squeak it was making still. Sounds like i should just start the engine build that i was planning on doing anyway.
Please clarify what you mean by "torqued to spec". Rocker arms/lifter lash isn't set by a torque value.....
Old 10-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

it is set to 1 full turn past zero lash which is around .060
Old 10-13-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

it is set to 1 full turn past zero lash which is around .060
That should be OK. LT1s never squirted oil out of the pushrods like older SBCs did, but you should get some splashing of oil. Obviously, you've got an internal problem somewhere. "Kevin 97SS" might be right....
Old 10-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Teching In

I ran into a similar problem and found the malfunction to be one of the three tiny soft plugs behind the timing gear had fallen out. Also, found the top center one wasn't the venten one required.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpefz...ature=youtu.be

That is a video of the car running at idle and me rev'ing it up a little also has the squeak the motor is making in it, This was done on the motor under normal operating tempature, however i did let the car warm up and there was no change in the oil flow
Old 10-14-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

That is a video of the car running at idle and me rev'ing it up a little also has the squeak the motor is making in it, This was done on the motor under normal operating tempature, however i did let the car warm up and there was no change in the oil flow
That ain't right!!

I suggest you do not operate the engine any more, until you figure out the problem....
Old 10-14-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im surprised no one has mentioned a pick-up tube problem or possibly a block somewhere. If your oil pressure is great than I would only assume something is stopping the flow. The question is what? Anyone have a firm diagram of the oiling system, components & passages?

I would manually poor some oil on the rockers for extra protection. Try pouring oil in the return oil passage and see what it does.

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 10-14-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

ive been keeping them well lubed when running the motor, that was just the first time i ran it with the valve covers off, today i pulled the covers back off ran it a little bit then adjusted the rockers to 1 1/4 turn and it started pumping oil, i took it for a ride was good for a bit then it started making that noise again, its dark now but tomorrow after work ill re pull the covers to see if its still pumping, if its still pumping oil then, i dont know... maybe a worn out rocker arm? it seems to be coming from the front cylinder on the drivers side, thats the side that had the bad lifter also when we changed them

Quick Reply: HELP! good oil pressure at top of block but NO oil getting to the rockers????