LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cylinder Head Valve Height Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cylinder Head Valve Height Question?

I have some le3 lt4 heads, going solid roller and some of the valves are sit in the seat farther than others. I bought them like that and wasn't a huge deal on hydraulic roller. I layed a straight edge across the valve tips and had one that was .040 shorter and 2 that were .032. What are my options to get them closer to the same so I don't need a bunch of different pushrod lengths. Ive heard grind the valve tips on the high ones some long as I don't go through the hardened material. Maybe grind the seats on the short ones? Any thoughts? Theres about 3 per head that's off by .030 or so.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Meen95z
I have some le3 lt4 heads, going solid roller and some of the valves are sit in the seat farther than others. I bought them like that and wasn't a huge deal on hydraulic roller. I layed a straight edge across the valve tips and had one that was .040 shorter and 2 that were .032. What are my options to get them closer to the same so I don't need a bunch of different pushrod lengths. Ive heard grind the valve tips on the high ones some long as I don't go through the hardened material. Maybe grind the seats on the short ones? Any thoughts? Theres about 3 per head that's off by .030 or so.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, .030 isn't that much to worry about pushrod length, you can adjust the cup heights on the rockers to make that up. Most PR's don't even come in increments that small.

If it really bothers you, first take the valves out and mic them to make sure the tops aren't mushroomed and they are all the same height.

I would be leery of grinding the tops of valves on an SR setup due to the higher spring pressures. If you grind through the hardening, you will damage a valve and could send metal through the motor.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The fix for this is to get the valvejob fixed. A friend had a similar problem that he only found later when he tore down the engine and saw a few pistons had valve marks on them. He had check PTV at the 4 corners but not the center 4 cylinders. He didn't go back to that cylinder head shop for the new valvejob either.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need to reharden the valve stem tips, heat them quick to cherry red and quench in oil.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Valve Height Question?