LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 PCM swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 PCM swap questions

I'm thinking of converting my car to run off an LS1 PCM the most budget way possible. I have a 1995 LT1 auto car, and I remember reading something somewhere about an issue with doing this conversion with an auto car? What is the difference? I suspect that you might need to switch the TCC or shift solenoids? As far as parts needed, I may have access to an 03 truck PCM, LS1 harness, truck coils, and 97 timing cover, as well as an LS1 cam and crank sensor. It seems like the only aftermarket parts I'll need are the 24x reluctor and 1x cam reluctor or am I missing anything?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KLaBZ28
I'm thinking of converting my car to run off an LS1 PCM the most budget way possible. I have a 1995 LT1 auto car, and I remember reading something somewhere about an issue with doing this conversion with an auto car? What is the difference? I suspect that you might need to switch the TCC or shift solenoids?
In the very least, the 1995 TCC and 3-2 shift solenoids are incompatible.

...I may have access to an 03 truck PCM...
The 2003 truck PCM is likely electronic throttle only and will not support a cable throttle body. I would recommend a 2001-2002 LS1 PCM (GM# 12200411).

...LS1 harness...
Definitely quite a bit of rework involved. It's do-able.

...truck coils...
There are four different types of "truck coils".

...and 97 timing cover...
Perfect

...as well as an LS1 cam and crank sensor.
No good. They are not used in a 24x conversion.

It seems like the only aftermarket parts I'll need are the 24x reluctor and 1x cam reluctor or am I missing anything?
You'll need the base 24x LT1 kit. Includes 24x crank reluctor, crank sensor, 1x cam reluctor, cam sensor, and cam sensor housing.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

You will have to get the kit from EFIConnection. If you try to do it any other way (unless you're a helleva machinist with all the equipment) you're pissin in the wind. It's just so much easier to get it from them.

Yes, you will need a 3-2 shift solenoid for the trans and possibly a harness.

Cost of coils is simply how/where you shop. Mikes pics are great. Be aware that some coils are different than others based on mounting holes.

The harness for your car can be purchsed as a whole, be pinned by a pro or you can do it yourself. Based on your wiring confidence/ability.

As for PCMs, it's best to use a 0411 and make sure it's already calibrated for a V8. If not, your tuner won't be happy.
BTW, I have 2 0411s for sale. Both are calibrated for 01 silverado or I can change it to a 02 Z28 w/M6, if you want and the tuner can just copy over an A4 cal.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys. Good call on the DBW PCM I didnt even think of that. I'll have to get a 411 or something else LS in that year range thats not DBW. I have access to EFI Live and I'm pretty sure I can change the OS to an LS1 A4 car with a compatible PCM. The truck coils I can get are the cylindrical type with heat sinks. As far as the wiring, I am confident I can re-pin and wire up my own harness with diagrams from engine to PCM, it's just the transmission side that I'm not sure about.

EFI Connection's sensors are not required. I think they made a revised reluctor to be compatible with double row timing sets that required their own custom sensor. The original kit used factory GM sensors:

http://gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi...ationGuide.pdf

I guess I'll spill the beans, I'm a mechanical engineer and have pretty good experience with signals processing and have access to a machine shop. I'm actually thinking of designing my own 24x reluctor and 1x cam reluctor to replicate the LS1 signals. I can also mill down my 95 crank hub the thickness of the reluctor so I don't have to search for a 97 hub.

In conclusion, I'm mostly concerned about what needs to be done on the transmission side to make this work and determine what "junkyard" parts I have access to and what parts I will have to custom make. It seems like the only things I need to buy or custom make are the reluctors.

Last edited by KLaBZ28; 10-10-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just found this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...e-success.html

Looks like I need a 97 knock sensor too.

I wish I could find more info on converting an A4 car...
Old 10-10-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish you alot of luck if you're going to attempt this and would be great( I'm not being scarcastic)
But Mike and the guys already did the years of R&D already.
As for the PCM calibrations, you can have EFILive HPT whatever you want. But the 6cyl. cal will use a license to put in a new GenIII cal. I've been through it already. So I put the Tech II at work to good use.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just found this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...e-success.html

Looks like I need a 97 knock sensor too.

I wish I could find more info on converting an A4 car...

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...&highlight=24x

And yes you will need a 96/97 knock sensor. be happy, you only have one. Impalas have 2.

Last edited by SAPPER; 10-10-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

klab, just buy an ls1 car, dont ruin your clean lt1!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SAPPER
I wish you alot of luck if you're going to attempt this and would be great( I'm not being scarcastic)
But Mike and the guys already did the years of R&D already.
As for the PCM calibrations, you can have EFILive HPT whatever you want. But the 6cyl. cal will use a license to put in a new GenIII cal. I've been through it already. So I put the Tech II at work to good use.
Thanks a lot for the wish and the link to the thread. Yes I know the parts are already there but my mentality is I have the skills and knowledge, might as well put it to the test. I would feel very happy knowing I successfully designed my own reluctor wheel using my skills for my car.

Good point on the PCM, I'll definitely only be looking at V8 PCM.

Nick how would this be ruining my car? haha Ruining it would be LS1 swapping it

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for:

96-02 Transmission harness GM #24241215, 3-2 shift solenoid, GM #24212327 & PWM solenoid, GM #24227792

I was in the trans a couple months ago to install my shift kit, the shift and PWM solenoids aren't hard.
Anything else I'm missing? The converter should work fine with the correct PWM solenoid...

Last edited by KLaBZ28; 10-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The PWMs are usually the same. It's the 3-2 that's different. But the PWMs will change if coming from a V6 or similar.
If you do a search of the part #'s on ebay, you will find them to be alot cheaper than a dealer or GMpartsdirect. Or contact https://www.wittrans.com/ and they can set you up with noids, harness and all for about $90 or so.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Step one: Buy this book:

Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Good call on the DBW PCM I didnt even think of that. I'll have to get a 411 or something else LS in that year range thats not DBW. I have access to EFI Live and I'm pretty sure I can change the OS to an LS1 A4 car with a compatible PCM. The truck coils I can get are the cylindrical type with heat sinks. As far as the wiring, I am confident I can re-pin and wire up my own harness with diagrams from engine to PCM, it's just the transmission side that I'm not sure about.

EFI Connection's sensors are not required. I think they made a revised reluctor to be compatible with double row timing sets that required their own custom sensor. The original kit used factory GM sensors:

http://gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi...ationGuide.pdf

I guess I'll spill the beans, I'm a mechanical engineer and have pretty good experience with signals processing and have access to a machine shop. I'm actually thinking of designing my own 24x reluctor and 1x cam reluctor to replicate the LS1 signals. I can also mill down my 95 crank hub the thickness of the reluctor so I don't have to search for a 97 hub.

In conclusion, I'm mostly concerned about what needs to be done on the transmission side to make this work and determine what "junkyard" parts I have access to and what parts I will have to custom make. It seems like the only things I need to buy or custom make are the reluctors.

If you are an ME, you should know that your cost to make one or two reluctor wheels is gonna be way more than buying one from EFIconnection. Drawing one up is simple, I modeled the one I got from Mike, but unless you are making a large lot to sell, tooling and what not will kill your overhead.

Unless you have access to a CNC mill and programming skill set. In which case, I am very jealous.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am ^.^

I'm still in school and have access to the machine shop. I design and produce a lot of parts for our FSAE race car. With the help of the machinist that runs the CNC we should be able to pop one out. I'm still getting my feet wet with CNC programming.

I'm not doing it to save money really, I just want to do it and flex my skills. Having experience designing a part to output a specific signal and actually making it and getting it to work would be really awesome.

So the PWM isnt different? Just harness and 2-3 solenoid? That sounds easy as pie...
Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Step one: Buy this book:
That looks like an awesome book I'm gonna have to get that. I have this one:

Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I was you and that far into it buy a complete ls1 get the drop out so you have the stearing rack and knuckle k member stick it in there then sell the lt1 **** these things there just problems problems problems , seems everything goes on them continuesly but I guess its any car with the age lol had to vent
Old 10-11-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROUDA
If I was you and that far into it buy a complete ls1 get the drop out so you have the stearing rack and knuckle k member stick it in there then sell the lt1 **** these things there just problems problems problems , seems everything goes on them continuesly but I guess its any car with the age lol had to vent
typical. These motors are fine. The LS1 PCM swap will alleviate opti problems (is there really any other issues with LT1's other than the controls module?).

Quick Reply: LS1 PCM swap questions