LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension options

I just got back into the f-body hobby after a roughly 10 year absence. The car I bought has most common bolt-on mods completed already but the suspension is stock. In the few days I've been browsing this and other websites I've noticed a lot of suspension company names I don't recognize and other, previously popular names, seem to be nowhere. I'm just curious what the current popular opinion is on which companies produce the best products, or at least the best bang-for-the-buck suspension products. Catch me up to date!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Lots of positives from Spohn. Mixed from BMR. Hotckis is just plain bloody expensive (at least referencing their LCA's compared to others', however I had a pair of their LCA's and the bushings were still good after 100K+ miles).
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

UMI makes very good stuff and has great customer support.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I like my UMI stuff.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Ran a bunch of UMI stuff in my gbody, swaybars and upper and lower rear control arms. No complaints. I will be going with strano for atleast the springs and swaybars in the future.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of UMI parts on both my Z28 and my TA, except the rear sway bar on the Z (which is Spohn) since UMI didn't offer one when I was building it up.

Zero complaints - everything fit perfectly and was great quality.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Dont forget founders
Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

konis
Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

straight line, or corners?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My $0.02...

Originally Posted by Dave M
I just got back into the f-body hobby after a roughly 10 year absence. The car I bought has most common bolt-on mods completed already but the suspension is stock. In the few days I've been browsing this and other websites I've noticed a lot of suspension company names I don't recognize and other, previously popular names, seem to be nowhere. I'm just curious what the current popular opinion is on which companies produce the best products, or at least the best bang-for-the-buck suspension products. Catch me up to date!
Options (IMHO):

Energy Suspension Urethane bushings (EVERYWHERE!)

LCA relocation brackets

LCA's with one spherical end (at the frame end), the other end - Urethane

Three point Sub-Frame connectors (Bolt in / Weld in) - your choice.

A Strut Tower brace

Adjustable Pan-rod bar (Again, with one spherical end and the other Urethane)

Those changes (regardless of the manufacturer - all MY stuff is UMI) along with good struts, a good alignment, and some new rubber will make your f-body handle like a slot car!

Have fun!

: )
Old 10-11-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

depends what you want, just street? autoX? road course? drag? or a mix of everything. Koni shocks are hands down the best. Sam Strano at Strano parts sells everything else you will ever need. I got strano sway bars, eibach pro springs, koni shocks, bmr strut tower bar, sub frame connectors, LCA's and pan hard rod and the car is glued to the road by kumho escta XS tires. thing handles amazing.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
straight line, or corners?
Originally Posted by jrwilliams95z28
depends what you want, just street? autoX? road course? drag? or a mix of everything.
Primarily spirited street driving, but I would like to do some autocross and the occasional day at the strip in the future, so a little bit of everything. Primarily corners, though.

I was primarily looking at UMI stuff because it seems to have the best prices, but I didn't know if there was a reason it was cheaper. I don't have any experience with it.

I'm assuming that if I replace every suspension part with an aftermarket piece that comes with urethane bushings then I don't need to do energy suspension bushings? Or are they much better than even UMI/Spohn/BMR/etc bushings?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Primarily spirited street driving, but I would like to do some autocross and the occasional day at the strip in the future, so a little bit of everything. Primarily corners, though.

I was primarily looking at UMI stuff because it seems to have the best prices, but I didn't know if there was a reason it was cheaper. I don't have any experience with it.

I'm assuming that if I replace every suspension part with an aftermarket piece that comes with urethane bushings then I don't need to do energy suspension bushings? Or are they much better than even UMI/Spohn/BMR/etc bushings?
Never have been a big fan of urethane bushings, always preferred some good replacement rubber bushings, but that's just me.

IMO the biggest improvement you can make in the suspension on these cars is hands down some good shocks. Konis if you can afford them.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Lots of positives from Spohn. Mixed from BMR. Hotckis is just plain bloody expensive (at least referencing their LCA's compared to others', however I had a pair of their LCA's and the bushings were still good after 100K+ miles).
I have mostly BMR products on my car. 0 issues. I stay the hell away from Spohn as I've seen way too many people have fitment issues from their stuff. I have a few UMI parts on my car also and they've been fantastic.

Overall, I'd go with UMI.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
I stay the hell away from Spohn as I've seen way too many people have fitment issues from their stuff.
Hell yeah this.

And they'll NEVER accept that something they did was wrong.

Quick Reply: Suspension options