LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Converting to poly bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to poly bushings

Anyone ever gone to all poly bushings? What were your results and who did you use? How harsh was the ride afterwards?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...Engergy suspension front control arm bushings, and poly sway bar bushings (aftermarket solid swaybars). It's definitely a bit firmer than stock, but nice and tight now, you can definitely feel what your front tires are doing on the road more; perfect for autocross or roadcourse racing. I highly recommend them, especially considering the rubber ones on these cars is approaching 20 years old now Once you go poly you never go back lol...I'd consider their engine mounts and trans mounts as worthwhile upgrades as well!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the master kit on mine...it was EVERYTHING...firms it up for sure...but control arm bushings in the front of these cars are notorious for going bad so i suggest it...along with the rest of the bushings.

Its a good amount of work but you'll be satisfied with the result.

Ryan
Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
I did the master kit on mine...it was EVERYTHING...firms it up for sure...but control arm bushings in the front of these cars are notorious for going bad so i suggest it...along with the rest of the bushings.

Its a good amount of work but you'll be satisfied with the result.

Ryan
You bought from energy suspension as well?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Many adults get tired of the squeaks and crap. My advise would be to use poly sparingly unless doing autocross or the like.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The TA has poly EVERYTHING, 1.75" drop, with literally full suspension and the ride is harsh. I can see why some people wouldn't like it for a daily driver, you can feel any little bump and crack in the road.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Hm, on frrax and in the Road Racing forum on this site it seems like they generally stick with rubber until they get in to really hardcore racing then they go to rod ended, most times people ask about poly bushings in those forums they get steered clear of that route by the more serious AutoX'er or RR'er.. Something to do with poly bushings binding, especially in the front control arms.. IIRC. Definitely something I would look in to..
Old 10-16-2013, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

My car has either all poly or ball joints and the ride is definitely rough, but it handles like a dream.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Same here - 2X Vote (But only if...)

OP -

My spherical ends are located on one end of the lower control arms, while everything else (Upper and Lower A-Arms, Sway bars, Pan, LCA - one end, Motor, and Trans) is poly.

I do not regret it at all; however, every time I return to MI (from NC, where the roads are NOT subject to snow and ice damage), I understand why my brother didn't do the same thing with his 04 GTO.

So, IMHO, if you live in an area with high quality roads, then do it - if not, just say no.

Originally Posted by IDriveChevy
My car has either all poly or ball joints and the ride is definitely rough, but it handles like a dream.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by great421
OP -

My spherical ends are located on one end of the lower control arms, while everything else (Upper and Lower A-Arms, Sway bars, Pan, LCA - one end, Motor, and Trans) is poly.

I do not regret it at all; however, every time I return to MI (from NC, where the roads are NOT subject to snow and ice damage), I understand why my brother didn't do the same thing with his 04 GTO.

So, IMHO, if you live in an area with high quality roads, then do it - if not, just say no.

Well stated!!

I live in the pot hole dotted land of western NY. I started using polyurethane bushings in the late 1970s, when they first became available. I loved the added responsiveness they provided...HOWEVER tires were still 60 and 70 series profiles, therefore had a lot of "give" compared to the 45 and 50 series tires that are now the norm.

I bought my Z-28 in the fall of '95, and the following summer, like I had done with all my previous cars, "upgraded" to poly bushings throughout the car. When I parked the car at the end of the summer, I removed all the poly parts during the "winter break", and put rubber back in. The roads here are just too rough to work well with poly bushings in a daily driven car, especially with the 50 series tires it came with, and the 40 series tires that are now on it.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

If torqued correctly under load poly's should last a long time.
When I did mine I didn't notice much stiffer of a ride. Maybe slightly stiffer.
One thing to note is if your planning on buying any aftermarket suspension parts they usually come with poly's. If you plan ahead you can prevent buying some twice.
Just my .2
Old 10-17-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

I mean think about how much the front control arms move, then think about the front LCA and that rear lateral bushing and the stress your causing in the frame and whatever with every bump because the poly bushings are so stiff. I have actually heard of people switching back to rubbers for that bushing and leaving the rest poly for that reason. Those parts need to MOVE, poly shouldn't be used in parts that need to articulate so much.. Which like I said, is why people go with stock replacement moog rubber bushings in cars to simply have a nicer handling + smoother ride to cars that road race and autox like it's their job, and when they get extreme with it and have a more track dedicated car and can sacrifice ride harshness for improved handling, they go rod ended (which articulate more).
Really just depends on why you want poly bushings and what you want with the car. Maybe they make a little more sense in a drag racing application? But I don't know about that.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I went all Moog greasables on everything in the front and 7 years later they all are holding up well, except the damn Moog tie rod ends, the hole for the grease fitting is not the right thread size so I've gone through 3 tie rod ends now where the fitting stripped out and leaked my grease and they got loose.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done graphite impregnated poly (the black stuff) on another car along with buying an extra tub of poly specific grease and I still got squeaking after 200 miles. While I did love the feel, I'd just go back to rubber if I had to do it all over again.

Also if you are intent on going poly, I'd recommend modding the bushings and control arms to accept zerk fittings so they can be greased, this is very important. Not only that, but using the correct grease is also very important- otherwise I've read that typical suspension grease/ moly lube will degrade the bushings.

For the serious road racer/ autocrosser, I'd definitely just skip poly and go to rod end.

Quick Reply: Converting to poly bushings