LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Should I pressure wash my LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I pressure wash my LT1?

I'm tired of seeing a dirty engine compartment when I pop my hood. Now I know the immediate answer would be a 'hell no' because of the opti but I have to replace the opti anyway. Should I go ahead and do it before installing the new one or is there something else I'm missing?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just know that there is a risk. Ive done it before with the opti on and had no problem. Just be aware of where youre spraying and you help reduce the risk. Since youre replacing it already, i think this would be a good time to do it.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Anything else to consider besides the usual will probably depend on your car. If all the things that need to stay dry are covered, and in good working order...should be fine. If they are not...well could be a disaster. I have always been tempted to a do a deep clean on my white engine bay, but I hate to mess with a car that is running good and is pretty much hydrophobic in the engine compartment.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You will run a risk on a 20 year old car with 20 year old hoses and wires and connections, personally I wouldn't risk it, could result in more time spent troubleshooting what you fucked up than it would take with a sponge and some simple green. But then again it could be fine, but I hand wash mine.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion would be a bottle of Simple Green, a parts cleaning brush, and a LOW pressure rinse from a garden hose. DO NOT get the alternator or Opti wet...
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure the engine is cold.

Cover your alternator, air box, and area above your opti with saran wrap as best as possible.

Once that's finished rinse (not wash) the engine bay so that some water exists throughout. Then use a good degreaser (ZEP citrus is a personal fave but auto supply stores do sell engine specific degreaser) and begin to scrub and rinse. Then dry with microfiber (pick up a 12-24pack somewhere). Apply protectant to plastic and instant detailer to painted areas and you're all set.

Be sure to give this a read before proceeding.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I only thing I've ever done is avoid directly spraying the opti. Other than that it's been fair game and has never left me stranded.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
Make sure the engine is cold.

Cover your alternator, air box, and area above your opti with saran wrap as best as possible.

Once that's finished rinse (not wash) the engine bay so that some water exists throughout. Then use a good degreaser (ZEP citrus is a personal fave but auto supply stores do sell engine specific degreaser) and begin to scrub and rinse. Then dry with microfiber (pick up a 12-24pack somewhere). Apply protectant to plastic and instant detailer to painted areas and you're all set.

Be sure to give this a read before proceeding.
Looked a the link... engine came out Nooice
Old 10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I only thing I've ever done is avoid directly spraying the opti. Other than that it's been fair game and has never left me stranded.
Same here. When I had the opti in the car anyways, I did it all the time

Quick Reply: Should I pressure wash my LT1?