LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need expert advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need expert advice please

I am just now getting started into building a 1996 camaro with a LT1 with a automatic as per a friend of mine and it is going to be for street and maybe a run or two at the dragstrip for fun. I am not wanting to sink a pile of money into it but would like a cam, headers and what else i need to make it sound good and give it some more pep. I would also like to run a shot or two of nitrous. I know this has probably been discussed a million times but could some body please tell me which way i need to go with out going way over the top without building a full blown drag car.
Thanks,
Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off, what do you consider a 'pile of money'?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 AM

I really dont want to spend over $1500.00 to $2000.00
Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That will get you bolt ons and a set of rear tires to get it to the ground. Also will have to turn wrenches or else labor will eat most of your budget.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Launching!

$1500-2000 can get you a lot if you shop around. I did le1 heads, cc503, valvetrain, pacesetter lt headers, FAST 36# injectors, and all new gaskets, seals, and bearings for right around $2000 and all parts were brand new. Did all the labor myself though, besides the heads obviously. If you cam it, it'd be wise to get a stall and gears also, which I already had, so I save there, but with your budget its very easy to get a nice little street machine out of your lt1
Old 10-21-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeshop
I am just now getting started into building a 1996 camaro with a LT1 with a automatic.......would like a cam, headers and what else i need to make it sound good and give it some more pep.....

Is the engine 'broke'?

If not.....buy and install some 3.73 gears, a 3000 stall torque converter and a PCM tune.

Much better 'bang-for-the-buck' than a cam and exhaust......

KW
Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start with the basics. Air intake, Headers, Catback, Stall, and maybe gears for drivetrain stuff. Poke around on UMI's or BMR's website for suspension parts and get an idea of what goes where and do research on each product on here.

Heads/cam pretty much require dyno tuning, fuel injectors, and a fuel pump. Those 3 things alone would eat up a majority of your budget.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone here is giving good advise, go for the free mods 1st, then look for used parts as in headders, possibly a cam but Gears, stall and a tune as said will surprise you, CAI, I made one myself from Home Depot Performance Shop for under $20, worked great..
Old 10-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Engine is not broke. As a matter of fact one is still in the car and i got another one with 52,000 miles on it and am going to build it while it is on the stand and then swap it out. That way when i go back in the car with it, i want it completely finished. Then i will sell the one that is in the car. There is nothing wrong with the engine in the car, i just had a chance to get one that was already out and i could work with it
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 AM

Also, the car has a brand new flowmaster system in the back but still has both cats on it but i am wanting to run headers and the connect to them if that would make it perform good
Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
look for used parts as in headders, possibly a cam but Gears, stall
Don't know if you were just recommending used headers or all the other parts to, but I would never buy used gears
Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pillarpod
Don't know if you were just recommending used headers or all the other parts to, but I would never buy used gears
Only way I would say buy "used" gears, is if you can get a low mileage rear. I picked up a 3.42 rear out of a newer ls1 for 150 bucks, swapped axles and backing plates and was good to go.

But it depends on what the OP has for gears in it now if he should go that route, if he has the 2.73s it might be a better idea. This is also only if you can get the rear end from a trusted source, my rear can from a local shop car that was having a 9' and turbo put in.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pillarpod
Yes, I meant with gears (New) and a stall,I would not get a used stall either only if you know the person that had it, you cannot tell the stall by looking at it. Unless you are an expert on gears you can get someone's night mare. I bought a complete stock rear with factory 3.42, took off the cover and it looked good to me, but when I installed it, there was a bad whine.

Quick Reply: need expert advice please