LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking at AI 21* TFS heads, need guidance with the cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Looking at AI 21* TFS heads, need guidance with the cam

I'm in the process of getting my ducks in a row before pulling the trigger on this head/cam upgrade. I already had email correspondence with Phil at AI. I basically told him my goal priorities were:

1. No bucking/surging at all since this is my dd
2. More power than I'm making currently
3. Better mpg highway than I'm getting currently (averages 19-20)

I also have no budget. He recommended their 21* Trick Flow heads and I gotta say, after reading about them on this site and his site, then having him answer some questions, I'm sold. So the heads are decided on.

He said 383's typically get a 23x degree cam but since I'm trying to smooth things out he recommended their 228/234-108 .615” and could widen the lsa to 112 -116 if I wanted. This car will see the drag strip 2-3 times a year, I really just want a DD that's fun to drive. No need to make peak power at 6700 rpm or anything. I'm also going to do a 24x conversion at the same time.

I know Phil is very knowledgeable and experienced and I'm not doubting him or anything, I just want to hear what others have to say.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that same combo. Brandy new never ran for sale! Cam is a 109.9 lsa, same duration and lift i believe. P.m. me if you want to save save some money. Its assembled on a fresh short block with the ported geometry matched intake.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as buckin and mpgs go. Alot of thar will fall on the sholders of ur tuner. Doubt you will get great mpgs tho. The smile you get from mashing the accelerator should make up for it.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
I know Phil is very knowledgeable and experienced and I'm not doubting him or anything, I just want to hear what others have to say.
If you want guidance then look no further. Unless you've had chronic problems with optisparks I wouldn't bother with the 24x setup, especially since it will not be a high RPM application. Just another thing to look at if something goes wrong, IMO.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what kind of re-assurance/guidance/suggestions you're looking for, but a few things come to mind:
- What CR are you targeting? That's a small cam for a 383, and a super-safe limit would be about 11:1 for pump gas use in a daily driver. Of course you can push it higher depending on how the cam is installed, how good your tuner is, and how much you're accustomed to monitoring health parameters and operating conditions as you drive it.

- Even with that smallish cam, you're still going to pick up near 100 hp ....as long as the assembly and tune is up to par.
Edit: I forgot about exhaust limitations. I know nothing about that catback you're running, so can't say if that's going to choke the power substantially ??

- I have that same cam, on a 108 LSA, in my 350. It peaks at 6400 rpm. I'd expect it to peak around 6200 rpm in a 383.
heavyss is running the same in his 383, and it sounds just as nasty in his as it does in my 350; however I don't think he spent much time tuning the idle/driveability aspects in his car.
I'd spread it out to a 112 LSA and install it at 107-108 ICL in a daily driven 383.

- With your proposed setup, as well as with your current topend, I think more highway mpg is do-able with tuning. Of course, that all depends on how you drive it

Last edited by bowtienut; 10-26-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Unless you've had chronic problems with optisparks I wouldn't bother with the 24x setup, especially since it will not be a high RPM application. Just another thing to look at if something goes wrong, IMO.
The main reason I want to go 24x is because here in Washington state, as far as I've been able to find, we only have one reputable tuner. He's best known and most experienced with LS engines so for ease and accuracy of tuning, I figured I'd switch to 24x.

Originally Posted by bowtienut
I don't know what kind of re-assurance/guidance/suggestions you're looking for, but a few things come to mind:
- What CR are you targeting? That's a small cam for a 383, and a super-safe limit would be about 11:1 for pump gas use in a daily driver. Of course you can push it higher depending on how the cam is installed, how good your tuner is, and how much you're accustomed to monitoring health parameters and operating conditions as you drive it.

- Even with that smallish cam, you're still going to pick up near 100 hp ....as long as the assembly and tune is up to par.
Edit: I forgot about exhaust limitations. I know nothing about that catback you're running, so can't say if that's going to choke the power substantially ??

- I have that same cam, on a 108 LSA, in my 350. It peaks at 6400 rpm. I'd expect it to peak around 6200 rpm in a 383.
heavyss is running the same in his 383, and it sounds just as nasty in his as it does in my 350; however I don't think he spent much time tuning the idle/driveability aspects in his car.
I'd spread it out to a 112 LSA and install it at 107-108 ICL in a daily driven 383.

- With your proposed setup, as well as with your current topend, I think more highway mpg is do-able with tuning. Of course, that all depends on how you drive it
Compression ratio doesn't matter, as long as I can run 91-92 octane with no detonation. GMMG is a 3" chambered cat back, one of the better flowing cat backs I believe. Thanks for first-hand cam input! How's it do at part throttle around town driving?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Hit up martin with tick performance
Old 10-27-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running that cam with the 200cc GM castings on a stock shortblock. There is some surge down low particularly when it isn't fully warmed up but overall it's not bad.
If surge is a major concern I'd just widen the LSA to 112.
Yours should drive better either way since you have a stroker.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If you want guidance then look no further. Unless you've had chronic problems with optisparks I wouldn't bother with the 24x setup, especially since it will not be a high RPM application. Just another thing to look at if something goes wrong, IMO.

I'd normally agree, but the ability to have it tuned is huge. It runs such a better PCM.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
I'd normally agree, but the ability to have it tuned is huge. It runs such a better PCM.
Miss you, baby cakes.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
..Thanks for first-hand cam input! How's it do at part throttle around town driving?
It's completely docile in any kind of driving with the auto trans.

Quick Reply: Looking at AI 21* TFS heads, need guidance with the cam