LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installing opti and water pump drive seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing opti and water pump drive seals

I'm replacing my water pump drive seal (and opti seal while I'm in there) after being told that's probably the source of my oil leak. I've removed the old seals and I'm ready to put everything back together but I've heard the process can be tricky. I don't want to have to redo this in the future so can anyone who's done this repair before give me some tips on how to do it right? This webpage has been a help but I'm hoping someone can give me a little more detail or some color commentary. I remember someone was saying some of the seals should be lubricated and some shouldn't and that there's a trick to getting the wp drive seal in. Anything would be a help.

Thanks,
Dave M
Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

The w/p seal has to be lubricated in order for it to easily slide into place without getting damaged. The opti seal may come pre-greased. If it doesn't go ahead a put a little motor oil on it. Won't hurt it in the slightest. If you don't have a Sharpie available then you can use a socket as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Launching!

There are two o-rings on the opti and it appears there are two o-rings for the water pump shaft. My FelPro front timing cover gasket kit only came with two o-rings. Which two are they?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Village Troll

Don't know. You really don't need them anyway unless the ones you have are broken.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Launching!

It looks like I got it in without damage. I used a sharpie highlighter cap. And I used the o-rings on the opti. One of them was cut. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good work!

I've used a hammer and wood before. Never replaced them on the car though. Always had the engine apart.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
Good work!

I've used a hammer and wood before. Never replaced them on the car though. Always had the engine apart.
I used a block of wood and a hammer on the opti seal. Worked great.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The opti seal may come pre-greased. If it doesn't go ahead a put a little motor oil on it. Won't hurt it in the slightest. .
I would follow the manufacturers instructions on seal install regarding "oiling" them.....specifically the PTFE ones....YMMV
Attached Thumbnails Installing opti and water pump drive seals-felpro-45956-inst-1.jpg   Installing opti and water pump drive seals-felpro-45956-inst-3.jpg   Installing opti and water pump drive seals-frlpro-45956-inst-2.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Village Troll

Whoopsie. Even though they never leaked or were damaged I should have never oiled those seals from past installs. dammit Dammit DAMMIT!

But yes, if anyone have a touch of OCD then for that seal, install it dry if it states to do so.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

The answer is in the gasket box - not here. Yes u need to follow the instructions as the type of material or manufacturer was not posted. They could be FelPro or could not. They could be PTFE or could not.

The older rubber or nitrile seals used some oil before install - to prevent the dry material from getting friction burned/destroyed. Some new FelPro PTFE seals go on dry - they wipe some of their own material on the metal surface to fill the microscopic openings, make the seal and survive.

cardo
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
The answer is in the gasket box -

Some new FelPro PTFE seals go on dry - they wipe some of their own material on the metal surface to fill the microscopic openings, make the seal and survive.

cardo
I was assuming OP was using FelPro TC gasket kit # 45956

and Cardo is correct on describing PTFE seal

I don't know if the WP drive seal is also PTFE, but I have always installed it "dry".....and with the "tool"

Crank seal I oil.

Quick Reply: Installing opti and water pump drive seals