LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need in depth advice

Old 10-29-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need in depth advice

Ok guys I have a 95 Z28 and have the front suspension out tranny and motor out and engine almost down to the block on the stand, all that's left is getting the crank and pistons out. This is my first time, but I am no stranger to engines. I am having it bored over to a 383 this week and need some advice on what to get for the lower end. What is going to be the best bang? I need to know brand and specs for a great crank and cam combo and a really good set of heads. I want to do roller rockers. All the top end stuff is minimal to me, MSD ignition all the bolt on stuff is easy. Eventually down the road I might think about a 100-150 nitrous shot on it, but not now. But I want everything beefy enough to take the stress if I do. Al combinations of equipment are a welcome suggestion and I will research each one of them, because the lower end is not my strong suit.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

whatever crank brand you get, go forged vs cast. Callies is one brand often recommended. If more budget minded than Scat

The cam ideally would be a package with the heads from Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliot

Might want to consider having the block machined for 4 bolt main caps

get the heads selected before you jump into the block machineing. Depending on the chamber size, desired compression, piston choice will dictate if block gets zero decked
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Goals, budget, current mods etc will help.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Goals 450-500 at the wheels, current mods, this one was factory with 261,000 miles I put on it. Budget, that all depends 5-6k maybe more depending on what I get into. I'm doing most the labor.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Better ***** yourself out to 500 fat chicks for $10 each.

Or 50 really fat chicks for $100 each.

Or 5 really really fat chicks for $1000 each.

Fat chicks need love too. But they gotta pay.

Your gonna need another 5 grand to do it decent. $2000 for rotating assembly, $2000 for heads, $1000 for valvetrain, $1000 for machine work, $2000 for rear, $500 for clutch, $400 for injectors, $1000 for exhaust, $400 for tune, $1000 for suspension, etc etc. x1.5 for reality.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM

I can go more, but that is just investment in the engine I was talking about, rear end, exhaust, tuning, all that is going to be extra. I'm putting about 4k in the body work, interior and paint job. I don't really have unrealistic expectations. I also have a friend that has buy ins for most parts companies, he owns a performance shop here in Oklahoma, so I am going to be getting most of these parts at dealer cost. I am just looking for suggestions on what to use. You guys on here are very salty with this stuff and so I respect opinions. I have read through numerous threads and am learning more and more very day. That is why I was asking about which parts to use and not how much they cost. Cost will be determined on a as I order it basis.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM

However I do believe I will be looking into the advanced induction systems and Elliott systems for my heads and cam combo
Old 10-30-2013, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just stop right now and pick the project back up next spring.

How do you expect to have the engine properly bored without pistons in hand?

All the top end stuff is minimal to me,
You realize the topend is where power comes from MUCH moreso than the bottom end? Guys have built halfassed strokers that make bolton power because all they were worried about was displacement.

MSD ignition might be useful once you "maybe eventually" put nitrous on but till then it would be at best a waste of money.

Stock engine will handle 150shot all day long and many guys have even done that with mild heads and cam setups. Hell there is a guy running the AI 200cc heads and a fairly aggressive cam on a stock shortblock down in the mid 9s in a LT1 swapped third gen, another guy has a 3800lbs Impala again stock shortblock AI heads and cam, and I think a 75 shot running I think 10.4.

IMO you need to do a LOT more research before you think about bringing the block to a machineshop.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense but if you couldn't figure out how to correctly pull the balancer on your motor, how are you going to build one? You have a lot of reading to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need in depth advice