LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil leak found and fixed, thanks to you guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak found and fixed, thanks to you guys

A couple weeks ago I posted about an oil leak I had dripping from the bottom of the front of the engine. You guys pointed me to the water pump drive shaft seal and helped me with all my questions once I started work. I got everything back together and it's leak free. So, thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my newbie questions. I'm sure I'll have more in the future.

Last edited by Dave M; 11-10-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If anyone has a drivers side/rear leak where it drips off the transmission or around the oil filter, it may be an easier fix than you think.
Of course the first thing to do is to check the engine from the top down. Most likely causes are valve cover gaskets, back of the intake and/or the oil pressure sensor behind the intake. If all of those check out the next place to look is the plug just above the oil filter. When this leaks it can leave a film all over the side of the block and make it difficult to find the point of origin.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If anyone has a drivers side/rear leak where it drips off the transmission or around the oil filter, it may be an easier fix than you think.
Of course the first thing to do is to check the engine from the top down. Most likely causes are valve cover gaskets, back of the intake and/or the oil pressure sensor behind the intake. If all of those check out the next place to look is the plug just above the oil filter. When this leaks it can leave a film all over the side of the block and make it difficult to find the point of origin.
I had an extra word in my previous post. The car IS leak free. It was the water pump drive shaft seal. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You just jinxed it. No SBC is leak free.

Actually mine is too, for the moment.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You just jinxed it. No SBC is leak free.

Actually mine is too, for the moment.
My '95 z28 never had an oil leak!
...At least for the time I had owned it.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has been leak free for 6 years now. It also had new seals put in 6 years ago and has run for maybe 5 miles...
Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a ridiculous oil leak and it is more than likely the water pump seal in my case also. I couldn't believe a motor that had just been put back together with all new gaskets was leaking so bad, then my friend goes oh yeah when I did the 24x I had a horrible leak, it was the felpro water pump drive seal gasket, go get a GM gasket...... Thanks for the heads up! A little too late! It has been leaking for two years now, I tell people I am preserving the bottom of the car.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

uhg i hated when i had a leak there, I put my whole engine back together from a head and cam swap and had a leak from there, i was furious. Replaced it this pass spring and have been good so far,after it fried and opti though. Ready to look back on all this lt1 stuff as a nightmare though and start piecing together parts to go to the dark side.... Glad OP got the leak fixed, now you just play the waiting game until the next one haha!

Quick Reply: Oil leak found and fixed, thanks to you guys