LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 trans am rough idle after changing water pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 trans am rough idle after changing water pump

95 trans am 126,000 miles, bone stock. The car sat in a barn for 10 years the woman before me who got it first ( 3 years ago ) only changed the oil and brakes. Now that I have it I noticed it wanting to overheat ( with no leaks ) so I checked the obvious and it turns out the thermostat was surely from 1995 and it was stuck so I changed it, then I noticed a small leak I then found out the water pump was leaking from the weep hole, it still drove fine no problems whatsoever only the slight getting hot part ( I never let it get in the red ) so I changed the water pump a few days ago and I had to remove tons of crap to get it off ( air pump, ignition coil etc. ) now the car idles kind of rough it levels out eventually this isn't a misfire, the opti wasn't wet or damaged during the change. It acts more like it may run out of gas, kind of boggy like it would if you unhooked the map sensor, I also noticed a whistle noise coming from the air pump area, I'm pretty sure I put everything back on right there is no leaks, no smoke, no backfire, no blown gaskets etc. just runs a little funny not too bad but it's noticeable, any advise will be much appreciated, when I moved the old vacuum lines 2 did break but I slid rubber hoses over the breaks so they are sealed. Again I know this isn't the opti spark.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBeastlyTA
I also noticed a whistle noise coming from the air pump area,
The whistle could be the pump itself. They make a high pitched noise when they turn on. If not, you need to find out what it is. Could be the check valves are bad (if they are still on the manifolds/headers). Could be a vacuum leak, etc...
Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The whistle could be the pump itself. They make a high pitched noise when they turn on. If not, you need to find out what it is. Could be the check valves are bad (if they are still on the manifolds/headers). Could be a vacuum leak, etc...
I did so much digging and investigating, I'm thinking maybe a vacuum leak, I need to find a diagram and just replace the old lines. I hate having a problem I can't figure out lol.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Feel around on the vacuum lines. I had a leak just like that and it ended up being on the inside of an elbow that looked like it was all together. But it revealed a gaping hole when I pulled it apart just a bit.

I know you said the opti didn't get wet, what about the harness?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Feel around on the vacuum lines. I had a leak just like that and it ended up being on the inside of an elbow that looked like it was all together. But it revealed a gaping hole when I pulled it apart just a bit. I know you said the opti didn't get wet, what about the harness?
It's a possibility but I'm not having the symptoms of a bad opti, there is no misfire or backfire. It cranks fine no hesitation like it would if the opti was bad or any other spark.

Quick Reply: 95 trans am rough idle after changing water pump