LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCV hose fitting leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV hose fitting leaking

whats up guys, been ignoring this oil leak but now its getting on my nerves. The PCV hose running from the passenger side valve cover is leaking oil. Its leaking in between the fitting and the valve cover. I took the whole hose (since it appears the fitting & hose is one piece) and im not sure what to do to seal it. RTV doesnt seem like it would fix it since its a circle. Any ideas what I can do besides getting a new hose (which I need to anyways since ive been using black tape to cover the crack the hose has near the throttle body).. A new hose will solve the crack but not the leak at the fitting.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory molded hose is p/n 10128365, $15 at the dealer. It sounds like you're missing the rubber grommet that fits into the valve cover. A plastic 90 deg elbow fits into the grommet and the hose connects to that.
ipc items 550,554 and 561
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...rimLevel=15623
Old 11-15-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guppymech
The factory molded hose is p/n 10128365, $15 at the dealer. It sounds like you're missing the rubber grommet that fits into the valve cover. A plastic 90 deg elbow fits into the grommet and the hose connects to that.
ipc items 550,554 and 561
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...rimLevel=15623
Thanks for the parts link but the grommet im not missing. For some reason the end of the hose will fit but no matter what oil vapor will still be leaking out. The fitting doesnt clip on, it basically just sits in the whole. If worse comes to worse is there a metal fitting or a conversion I can do to replace the cheap plastic one? Maybe a breather? I guess the intake needs some lubrication if I get a breather though?.. The motor has 232k and cant imagine how much blow by it gets. Just wondering what gets the fitting to seal while staying tight in place. lol

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 11-15-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Take the oil fill cap off, start the car and observe whether or not you get a positive airflow out of the fill hole. If you do, and your PCV system is in tact, either you are getting blow-by or your PCV valve is clogged, or both. With that kind of mileage I don't think the rubber grommet is to blame.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Thanks for the parts link but the grommet im not missing. For some reason the end of the hose will fit but no matter what oil vapor will still be leaking out. The fitting doesnt clip on, it basically just sits in the hole. If worse comes to worse is there a metal fitting or a conversion I can do to replace the cheap plastic one? Maybe a breather? I guess the intake needs some lubrication if I get a breather though?.. The motor has 232k and cant imagine how much blow by it gets. Just wondering what gets the fitting to seal while staying tight in place. lol
The elbow on my car doesn't fit too snugly in my valve cover either. It's been that way for a number of years. I simply wipe off the vapor residue every once in a while.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Go to AutoZone and buy a new grommet for the elbow to push into. After they age the rubber hardens and the fit becomes loose. When loose the vapor seeps out around the hose and the grommet/valve cover interface. The elbow should fit snug into the grommet.

... Larry S.

Quick Reply: PCV hose fitting leaking