LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AIR pump & EGR education

Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR pump & EGR education

So ive had my Air pump out of my car for over 2 years, but left all the EGR hoses connected to the manifolds, and plugged the rubber hoses that go to the air pump with electrical tape (I know cheap *** . But Does my EGR still work without the air pump? What the hell is the purpose of the air pump anyways. Tried searching couldnt find anything.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Isnt the AIR for like the cats? Not sure for what but i THINK its for that
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We had belt operated AIR pumps before we had cats. Smog tests used to be percentages, the AIR pump now pretty much warms the cats up, getting them working faster after start up. GM disabled the AIR pump on B body cars and heated the cats be retarding the idle & light load spark advance at lower coolant temps. Without cats, your illegal anyway, may as well lose the pump too. LOL
If you change the cam you need to turn off the EGR. Not only for drivability, but added overlap pollutes the intake charge, which is all the EGR does. Lowers NOX. When GM came out with their 49 states legal chip for gen3 F body cars with the ZZ3 crate engine they didn't use the EGR because it was actually cleaner without both the added overlap & EGR.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
When GM came out with their 49 states legal chip for gen3 F body cars with the ZZ3 crate engine they didn't use the EGR because it was actually cleaner without both the added overlap & EGR.
Same with the LT4 engine.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:51 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Same with the LT4 engine.
Not as much due to the cam, but yep.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I deleted my AIR and EGR. tuned them both out though. car runs better then before but I also dont have a cat.

I believe the two systems operate independently of one another as mentioned above, but I to left the ERG solinoid (atleast I think its a soliniod valve) on the manifold and just blanked off the opening on the back of the manifold because its such a pain in the *** to reach back there.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:39 PM
9-Second Club

If you turn it off in the PCM you can leave everything in place if you want. Will run the same as long as nothing is leaking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AIR pump & EGR education