LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 cranks then stops.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 cranks then stops.

Her guys,
Need y'all's input. I have a 97 trans am 385 solid roller with the 24x conversion
The other day I drive the car to my moms and parked it for a few hours. Got in it went to start and the battery was dead. So I jumped it off battery meter was reading 9.5 volts so I figured the alt was bad. Change it and the battery and it wouldn't start. It will crank over for about 2 seconds and stops. Iv had the battery charger on it so the battery's not dead so I figured well maybe the starter changed it out and still nothing. I read on here people are by passing the vats system. Iv tried to by pass it with a 1.47 ohm resistor and still nothing. My security light never came on. So I'm not sure if the problem deals with vats.
Can anyone help or has any input
May also need to add that I took it the the car wash and the line was to long so I did not wash it. I l had killed it waiting in the line and tried to start it up and leave and it cranked for 2 seconds then stops. I read a guy on ls1 tech saying to turn the key on but don't start it for 3 minutes and it'll relearn the computer? I did that and it fired right up. Drive it to the house and it won't start again even if I try to leave the key on for a few minutes.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Default ??

any thoughts or help?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dmaxx
Her guys,
Need y'all's input. I have a 97 trans am 385 solid roller with the 24x conversion
The other day I drive the car to my moms and parked it for a few hours. Got in it went to start and the battery was dead. So I jumped it off battery meter was reading 9.5 volts so I figured the alt was bad. Change it and the battery and it wouldn't start. It will crank over for about 2 seconds and stops. Iv had the battery charger on it so the battery's not dead so I figured well maybe the starter changed it out and still nothing. I read on here people are by passing the vats system. Iv tried to by pass it with a 1.47 ohm resistor and still nothing. My security light never came on. So I'm not sure if the problem deals with vats.
Can anyone help or has any input
May also need to add that I took it the the car wash and the line was to long so I did not wash it. I l had killed it waiting in the line and tried to start it up and leave and it cranked for 2 seconds then stops. I read a guy on ls1 tech saying to turn the key on but don't start it for 3 minutes and it'll relearn the computer? I did that and it fired right up. Drive it to the house and it won't start again even if I try to leave the key on for a few minutes.
First are you tuning the computer yourself? If so simply tune out vats.
I think the 24x conversion recommends that vats is disabled in the tune.

If not the following information is needed.
Can you clarify the resistance for the resistor you used? Was it 1.47K ohms, or 1.47 Ohms?
Have you measured the resistance form the key to start the car or are you just guessing you need that resistance number?

I don't know a lot about the ls1 computers but if you want to keep vats on the car you might need a BCM from a 98-02 car.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Teching In

no im not tuning it. im almost starting to think its the bcm. im gonna take a look at it tonight and see if it looks burnt or not
Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Launching!

no im not tuning it. im almost starting to think its the bcm. im gonna take a look at it tonight and see if it looks burnt or not
The reason you need to specify the resistance is 1.47 ohms does not match any key. However 1.47K(1,470) ohms is the value for a #6 key.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Teching In

i ohm the key to 1.47 ohms and put that resistor in the vats plug and nothing. the security light is not on so im almost thinking its not the vats. i think its the bcm
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Launching!

i ohm the key to 1.47 ohms and put that resistor in the vats plug and nothing. the security light is not on so im almost thinking its not the vats. i think its the bcm
You need to learn how to use a multimeter. I'm guessing that the ohms you measured was using a setting with a K at the end (example: 20K 200K or 200K) when reading ohm form a setting with K at the end you need to multiply the number by 1000. when reading 1.47 ohms from a setting with that K you are actually reading 1470 ohms.

EDIT
On about 97+ F-bodys vats is controlled by the bcm. I am not sure if the signal the ls1 computer uses is the same signal that the lt1 pcm needs.
If it really starts and runs for 2 seconds then dies it is vats.

Quick Reply: Lt1 cranks then stops.