LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1995 Camaro SS LT1 First Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Camaro SS LT1 First Car

I got a 1995 Camaro SS for my first car. it does need a few things some major others not so major. first things first my father and i are likely going to rebuild the engine. any tips on rebuilding or removing the engine are appreciated. a few plastics under the hood are missing such as the cover for the relay box i was wondering if anyone could help me out with one of those because i have been having a tough time finding them online. also the plastic dash is cracked pretty bad any idea where i can get a replacement for not a bazillion dollars. Even though the car does need alot there are alot of things the car already has such as sub frame connectors, scanmaster LT1, a few extra gauges and an Accel ignition system. Also does anyone know where i can get a set of shorty headers without the y pipe that will go inplace of the stock headers?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hawksthirdgen.com sells a lot of random parts for the 4th gen. nookandtranny.com is another, ws6store.com, coloradospeed.com.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Also texas-speed. If I'm not mistaken, your stock exhaust should hoook up to shorty headers
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If it's a '95 it's not a SS. All places suggested for your parts. Google and/or search "engine out the bottom" on here and camaroz28.com.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If it's a '95 it's not a SS. All places suggested for your parts. Google and/or search "engine out the bottom" on here and camaroz28.com.
I did mine from the top and it wasn't a big deal. Read up on it and do what fits your situation. To me it seemed easier from the top. But I'm old and sort of set in my ways

Al > 02 Z28, 95 Z28, 86 Iroc, 73 Z28
Old 01-04-2014, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't "rebuild" the engine unless there is indication of a problem. The stock engine is pretty good and not particularly harmed by mileage. First lesson should be don't go creating problems solving "issues" that never existed.

If there is an engine problem understand the stock engine is good and not cheap to improve on so ask a lot of questions FIRST and LISTEN to the answers. We don't want you to be yet another kid who meant well but bought a lot of JUNK and screwedup an otherwise decent car, it happens all the time.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

don't spend a dime before you really know what you are getting into. Read as many threads on here similar to how you want to build it and you'll be better off in the end.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Dont touch the damn thing until you read days and days and days worth of threads on whatever subject it is that you are thinking about undertaking. Your dad may be an old school small block chevy guy or hotrodder, but that has NOTHING to do with LT1 engines. For example, dont replace the stock lightweight and strong hyper mahle 1.5/1.5/3mm pistons with some big heavy *** old school pistons, and these motors are fine on pump gas up to 13:1.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Don't "rebuild" the engine unless there is indication of a problem. The stock engine is pretty good and not particularly harmed by mileage. First lesson should be don't go creating problems solving "issues" that never existed.
The car has a rod knock so we are first just going to see if the block is able to be saved and then go from there
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
^^This.

Also, if you want to pull the motor out the top, you'll need the "happy hooker" to make it easier.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A generic "rebuild" even at local "performance" shop is very often a step backwards from stock.
Do a LOT of reading FIRST and ask a LOT of questions FIRST. Too many people make posts with "here is my parts list now tell me how great it is" and then we have to tell them it is all a mistake. Cast aftermarket cranks are weaker than stock, MANY MANY aftermarket pistons are heavier than stock which is more rod stress and have thicker rings for more parasitic losses and bore wear than stock.

If I had a motor with a rod knock and wanted to "build" it I would spend $800 or so on Mahle Powerpak or equivalent 4032 forged pistons and a basic 6.0" capscrew Scat rod. I wouldn't do anything cheaper.

If you want cheaper just find a stock rod and maybe crank(stock crank is pretty darn good) depending on the damage. If you need a stock rod speak up, I am sure a lot of us have some laying around. I wouldn't fix a stock rod because they endup short and the piston further down in the bore when they are already plenty far down.

Don't get caught up in crap like letting a local shop slap bigger valves in the heads, or sold on a cam before asking here.

There are a lot of us here who want to help folks if they will let themselves be helped.

Quick Reply: 1995 Camaro SS LT1 First Car