Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i know my TPS is bad?

As the question states how would i know my TPS is bad on a bone stock 94 LT1
Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i know on my LS1 it started idling real high, shifting real shitty, and the traction control was acting all kinds of fucked up.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

well on my lt1 i have to pat the gas in order for it to start or else it will just turn over and over (hot or cold)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Just ask it how its doing.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Launching!

Could use a scan tool or use a multi meter and measure voltage
Old 01-15-2014, 05:56 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Only for sure way is to have somebody with a fast digital lab 'scope sweep it several times and watch the graph for spikes. Scan tools and ohm meters are too slow to catch the wiper going over a dead spot on the resistor. Can't tell you how many cars I fixed like that when other shops declared the TPS OK with a scan tool or ohm meter. Neither display data real time, they just show you "snap shots", and seldom catch anything. May look "real time" to you, but a sharp electronics guy will tell you digital meters are not.
Do NOT hook an analog volt/ohm meter to your computer! Any meter MUST have ten mega-ohm impedance. Not all do. Lower impedance meters pull too much current and can damage the ECM/PCM.
You likely don't have a scope like that (expensive) so borrowing the TPS off a good running vehicle, or buying a new TPS might be best.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Only for sure way is to have somebody with a fast digital lab 'scope sweep it several times and watch the graph for spikes. Scan tools and ohm meters are too slow to catch the wiper going over a dead spot on the resistor. Can't tell you how many cars I fixed like that when other shops declared the TPS OK with a scan tool or ohm meter. Neither display data real time, they just show you "snap shots", and seldom catch anything. May look "real time" to you, but a sharp electronics guy will tell you digital meters are not.
Do NOT hook an analog volt/ohm meter to your computer! Any meter MUST have ten mega-ohm impedance. Not all do. Lower impedance meters pull too much current and can damage the ECM/PCM.
You likely don't have a scope like that (expensive) so borrowing the TPS off a good running vehicle, or buying a new TPS might be best.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info!! just another side note when i ran the snap on scan tool it show everything to be ok. So i am just going to buy one or try another one thanks guys for the help

Quick Reply: How do i know my TPS is bad?