LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this bad? Valve spring retainer pic inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this bad? Valve spring retainer pic inside

I pulled the LH valve cover on my 95 LT1 today. Been running fine, but there's a chirping sound coming from the general area of the LH valve cover.

Here's the only thing I found that looks abnormal:

The rocker appears undamaged, the pushrod is straight. Do I need to replace this retainer?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yah you need to replace the retainer. I would wait for more experienced people to chime in first though. They may tell you to check or replace other parts.

Got to say that's the first time I have seen that happen. I wonder if more experienced people who chime in have seen that before.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

yeah replace retainer....but more important find the pieces that broke off
Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Teching In

There's no pieces up in the cylinder head, which means if they're anywhere, they're in the oil pan (or washed out with a prior oil change).

I have had a rear intake oil leak (imagine that), so I pulled the intake today as well, not sure if it's related, but the intake port for that same cylinder doesn't have the "clean" area that the other ports show. I'll get a pic to explain better.

The injector o-rings were very dry and brittle, and the little plastic rings just above the o-ring shattered into tiny bits as I pulled the rails.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and get rid of that spring, check the locator, check the keepers, check the valve stem for straightness, check the seat pocket for squareness with the guide/valve.
Something is probably not straight for that to have happened.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bowtienut
and get rid of that spring, check the locator, check the keepers, check the valve stem for straightness, check the seat pocket for squareness with the guide/valve.
Something is probably not straight for that to have happened.
Agreed, it seems odd that this occurred. Honestly, it may have been like that when I bought the car a few months ago -- a bad alternator bearing was making much more noise and it may have drowned out the noise coming from this issue. So there's no way for me to know how long it's been this way, or if there was a precipitating event that led to the noise beginning.

So, am I best off replacing *all* of the springs, retainers, and keepers? Or just the one that's the problem here?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by agchoset
..So, am I best off replacing *all* of the springs, retainers, and keepers? Or just the one that's the problem here?
That depends. Are you just driving the car around, or do you regularly wring it out beyond 5000 rpm?
I'd either just replace the parts on that valve, or take the opportunity to upgrade springs, retainers, and rockers (1.6RR) on all.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Teching In

I just drive around -- it's just a fun daily driver for me, no plans of ever going to the track. Even when I romp on it a bit on an on-ramp, it's rare that I'll run past 5K. But, if there's a preventative maintenance angle on replacing all 16, I could justify it. There's 138k miles on the motor, BTW.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just fix what's broken. You don't hear of stock valve springs breaking with even double that mileage.
Don't forget to check the things recommended above though
Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by agchoset
I have had a rear intake oil leak (imagine that), so I pulled the intake today as well, not sure if it's related, but the intake port for that same cylinder doesn't have the "clean" area that the other ports show. I'll get a pic to explain better.
Check all the pockets in the oil valley where oil accumulates with a magnet. Some pieces could be hiding in those oil pools.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Update:
I swapped out all 16 valvesprings and retainers, no underlying issues found with the valve stem, pushrod, spring seat, or rocker arm on the affected cylinder. I installed LS3 springs and Comp retainers, reused the stock locks and stock rocker arms. Bought the Comp valvespring tool which made life easy. Running great now.

Quick Reply: Is this bad? Valve spring retainer pic inside