LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Smog-legal headers - differences by year

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Smog-legal headers - differences by year

Hi guys. I've never owned an LT car but have great respect for them. My son bought a '94 Trans-Am, probably just to have something different than his old man ('99 Trans Am here). Anyhow, he seems to have scored a pretty good deal on a used set of Arizona Speed and Marine smog-legal headers ($220). They look like they have a 1.75" primary tube. They go up quite a bit before going down and connecting to the factory exhaust flanges. He was going to come visit so I could help him install them, so I did a little research and found out there are different designs for different years of headers. My son says he thinks these headers came off a '96 car. From what I've read, '96's have a different flange on the driver's side, and the AIR hoses hook up differently.

So my question is: Is it worth trying to install the "wrong" headers ('96's on a '94 car)? I don't mind doing a little fabrication, since he's already bought them, and he'll be saving money over buying a new set of headers. But if it's a major PITA, then I'll tell him to find other headers. But whatever he gets needs to pass CA smog, and it appears these headers are designed to do that.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you will need the C.A.R.B. sticker and the header will need the corresponding # stamped on them. ASM may be able to send a new sticker if you contact them, also if the header have a model # on them ASM could advise what year model they fit.

I would think they fit any 94-97 F-body LT1.

I also live in SoCal and have smog legal shorty headers (B-body though). Have to go to the "Star" test station so they are often more **** about having the CARB stuff. If the air pump stuff is hooked up that will pass visual.

IIRC, the ASM headers wrap up over the valve covers so you need to pull them if you need to get valve covers off for any reason
Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, ******.

Any other thoughts? I've previously read that there are some differences in exhaust systems through the years on F-body LT1's.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Far as i know the headers should fit all 94-97 F-body. Not sure about them being "CARB" legal. They may only be "49 state legal"

2 shorty headers for LT1 that are CARB are the Edelbrock and SLP but the later are not made anymore so would have to find used.

if air pump is hooked up you may pass OK unless the tech insists on seeing a CARB sticker for them

In terms of them bolting up, they should mate to an unaltered stock exhaust
Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For example i got bit by Hedman headers. They had a Mfr name plate on the #1 cyl tube but no CARB number. Had to R&R with Edelbrock shorties that did have number on that mfr name plate. Any legal smogger will not pass u without that CARB number. BTW Edelbrock no longer sells headers or exh sys. Only CA smog legal headers are by Hooker and Pacesetter and they are all shorties - no long tubes.
If u dont have that CARB number then they wont pass but if u can read that number i believe u can look it up for the application. I think the CARB number is the same or crosses to an executive order (EO) number that lists the application - all public info.

As far as differences i believe the '93 was a year only and had a tube or 2 turn upward before turning down if i recall seeing them once.

Hope this helps and dont believe the salesmen at Hedman Headers - ive never heard someone talk that fast before in my life.
cardo
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

it cost big $ for a company to go through CARB approval so the available product, headers, is limited

pic shows a header model # stamped on header and CARB sticker showing what model series #'s conform to the EO # issued for the product line.

Now with the "STAR" test system in place smog shops are under the gun to conform to the rules. The $200-$300 "buddy" test is very hard to find now
Attached Thumbnails Smog-legal headers - differences by year-edelbrock-header-carb-sticker.jpg   Smog-legal headers - differences by year-edelbrock-header-id-plate.jpg  

Quick Reply: Smog-legal headers - differences by year