LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1/LT4 Crate engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1/LT4 Crate engines

Was some talk here about LT1/LT4 crate engines. Where's a good place to look? I googled and found lots of places with everything but LT1's. To bad Chevy decided to name three different engines LT1's. Google seems to ignore dashes.

Al 95 Z28 TH400 w/brake, S60 w/4.30's
Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pick a shop you trust and build one. I am not aware of any GOOD shops stocking performance LT1 crate engines.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Jegs have them in stock. I just saw them in the catalog..
Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Popular shops that specialize in the LT1 are Golan Engines, Ellwein Engines and TPIS. Youll get nothing but bad mouthing here on Golan but if u go to other forums like the C4 corvette they love the Golan short blocks. Heres a happy Golen long block customer: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...internals.html

We have a couple of bad mouthing clowns here that say they have a consensus that Golan sells flawed engines - but thats mostly the camaro forums because of a few sorry clowns that blame their bad efforts on Golan frequent those forums.

Myself i wish any one of those builders where nearby me and save me a ton of work blueprinting a short block. But do your own search for this.

cardo
Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

As mentioned, if you just want a basic re-man build from some large re-furb shop than JEGS and others sell long blocks for about $3k

http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint+Engi...5029C/10002/-1

With that said you should work with a local "qualified" builder but if not available in your area shops like Golen & ERE will build you one to your specs. Karl @ ERE is considered one of the best for the LT1 platform and and builds one motor at a time with precise detail. Golen is a larger shop but has a great deal of experience with LT1 also.

You could just buy a short block from either of them, get a head/cam package of your choice and complete the build yourself. That is what I did and got a Golen forged 4 bolt main 383 shortblock years ago and have 30k mi on the motor now

The large chain motor re-man houses like Jasper, Coastal, Blueprint, etc would be on the low end quality in terms of parts used and assembly labor involved.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hp...FZPm7AodcmAANQ

This is one I was looking at, all forged.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ringmaster72

does not list what specific "brand" of componets used (crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings). . Given the ship date, looks like Summit "orders" one and ATK then builds it. Not a "stocked" item. I don't know anything good or bad about ATK

For $3200 I would check into ERE. IIRC Karl charges $1000 labor (maybe less for just a shortblock) so that leaves $2200 for solid rotating assembly and block machining
Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

OP,

Do you live anywhere in the NE? If so, I have a shop I can recommend.

Last edited by SS RRR; 01-23-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ******
does not list what specific "brand" of componets used (crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings). . Given the ship date, looks like Summit "orders" one and ATK then builds it. Not a "stocked" item. I don't know anything good or bad about ATK

For $3200 I would check into ERE. IIRC Karl charges $1000 labor (maybe less for just a shortblock) so that leaves $2200 for solid rotating assembly and block machining
I believe it was SCAT, but it has been a long time since I asked them and I can find the email. You can go to ATK's website and email them, they got back to me quickly.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

I know ATK is a ford authorized reman co. and the ford engines I installed were not of good quality. I remember having to replace the valve springs on one just to get it out the door, had valve float 2500 rpm's. and it was a 3.8 v6. no way I would trust them with a performance build.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Teching In

I have the 383 Ai with Ross pistons from ERE. Best engine yet. He is a great engine builder. Would buy another one in a heart beat!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ringmaster72

Thank you for your interest in ATK.

These are built to order due to the lack of core and the demand. ETA right now is about 1-2 weeks as I have everything in stock. Cores are just to hard to come by these days in decent shape and we only use premium cores. This is a very popular combination as you get the added value of the 4 bolt main cap conversion, which nobody else really does without charging you an arm and a leg.

This short block will consist of:
Scat 4340 Forged Crankshaft
Scat H Beam Rods with ARP 8740 Bolts
Forged SRP or Mahle 16cc dished pistons/matching rings
King XP Bearings

Let me know if I can be of any further help. You can search the Chevelle Forum for many great reviews from basic builds to 598CI+builds.

Brandon.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by superspirit
I know ATK is a ford authorized reman co. and the ford engines I installed were not of good quality. I remember having to replace the valve springs on one just to get it out the door, had valve float 2500 rpm's. and it was a 3.8 v6. no way I would trust them with a performance build.
This is incorrect, we have never been an authorized for Reman company nor have we dealt with them. I will say we do have the highest quality in the Reman industry.

A little info on our HP Program, it is a completely separate entity here in TX. It is led by myself and Mark Johnson who was with Reher & Morison for over 25 years and was heavily involved with the GM, Nascar & Pro Stock Development teams building the fastest race winning engines of the time. He is very highly accredited in the industry. Our builders are also highly qualified engine builders, not mechanics. We have guys from Musi, TRE, Reher & Morison as well as guys who have owned their own machine shop for 20+ years.

If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to help.

Brandon-ATK
The following users liked this post:
Ruken (02-25-2020)
Old 01-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ATK Engines
Thank you for your interest in ATK.

These are built to order due to the lack of core and the demand. ETA right now is about 1-2 weeks as I have everything in stock. Cores are just to hard to come by these days in decent shape and we only use premium cores. This is a very popular combination as you get the added value of the 4 bolt main cap conversion, which nobody else really does without charging you an arm and a leg.

This short block will consist of:
Scat 4340 Forged Crankshaft
Scat H Beam Rods with ARP 8740 Bolts
Forged SRP or Mahle 16cc dished pistons/matching rings
King XP Bearings

Let me know if I can be of any further help. You can search the Chevelle Forum for many great reviews from basic builds to 598CI+builds.

Brandon.

Brandon, those are great parts and a great price from ATK. But how do we know if the block has been zero decked for quench, crank align honed and timing chain/set corrected for the new difference, crank thrust within tolorance, desired piston dish and what we can do if those all or any are found out of spec?

I becomes more difficult to get specific operations when dealing with a major business than a smaller shop. But your short block looks great from what i read and what u say if my car was down and needed a block right now i wouldnt hesitate to put one of your LTs in it.

BTW doesnt ATK sell a "stock" long block with lesser parts for a very reasonable price? Much less than the hi-po LT1?
cardo
Old 01-26-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, now to do some research with the above information. If I was willing to cut the cowl I would stuff a regular crate small block in it with a shorty distributor and a carburetor.

The suggestion of finding a decent shop here in Tucson would be harder than driving 1,000 miles to a known good shop. I've had nothing but bad luck with engine builders out here and that's why a crate engine from a reputable source is enticing. There is a very good shop out here but they guy only builds Ford small blocks. Hummmm distributor in front....

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ATK Engines
This is incorrect, we have never been an authorized for Reman company nor have we dealt with them. I will say we do have the highest quality in the Reman industry.

A little info on our HP Program, it is a completely separate entity here in TX. It is led by myself and Mark Johnson who was with Reher & Morison for over 25 years and was heavily involved with the GM, Nascar & Pro Stock Development teams building the fastest race winning engines of the time. He is very highly accredited in the industry. Our builders are also highly qualified engine builders, not mechanics. We have guys from Musi, TRE, Reher & Morison as well as guys who have owned their own machine shop for 20+ years.

If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to help.

Brandon-ATK
Maybe there was another company with the ATK name, that was a ford authorized rebuilder, I have installed ford remaned engines purchased from the ford dealer in San Antonio, Texas. that had an ATK label on them and they were troublesome. the owners of the shop I worked at were ford fanatics and would only purchase the remans from the dealer.

Edit = a google search revealed it was AER. I apologize for the improper information I posted earlier. I thought I remembered it to be ATK,
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by superspirit
Maybe there was another company with the ATK name, that was a ford authorized rebuilder, I have installed ford remaned engines purchased from the ford dealer in San Antonio, Texas. that had an ATK label on them and they were troublesome. the owners of the shop I worked at were ford fanatics and would only purchase the remans from the dealer.

Edit = a google search revealed it was AER. I apologize for the improper information I posted earlier. I thought I remembered it to be ATK,

I figured as much. Hopefully people see this correction, it’s all too often the wrong information is posted online. We are the largest engine Remanufacture in the nation, but we also strive to be the best at what we do.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cardo0
Brandon, those are great parts and a great price from ATK. But how do we know if the block has been zero decked for quench, crank align honed and timing chain/set corrected for the new difference, crank thrust within tolorance, desired piston dish and what we can do if those all or any are found out of spec?

I becomes more difficult to get specific operations when dealing with a major business than a smaller shop. But your short block looks great from what i read and what u say if my car was down and needed a block right now i wouldnt hesitate to put one of your LTs in it.

BTW doesnt ATK sell a "stock" long block with lesser parts for a very reasonable price? Much less than the hi-po LT1?
cardo
Thank you, we do sell OEM Reman long blocks thru a chain of wholesalers worldwide and they will come with a 3 Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty at a very affordable price.

In regards to our blocks/machining all of our popular blocks are CNC machined ahead of time to specifications that will work with just about any combination some of these are sold as bare blocks as well as our build combinations.The main goal is to have equal length decks for piston deck clearance and a flat correct surface finish for sealing the head gaskets.For streetable engine combinations a piston left .005 in the hole will never be noticed power level speaking as long as the compression is calculated accordingly.For an example .005 deck on a 4.040 bore is 1.05cc.All of our combinations take this in concideration choosing piston volumes and knowing a customer’s head volume. All blocks are aligned honed with minimal stock removal most timing chains fit within spec and crank thrust is set to a spec knowing most customers will be using a stall converter and typically a built tranny with more line pressure putting more force on the thrust.Hope this covers your concerns.

ATK.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

Thank you for responding and sharing your methods. I am glad to read u make good effort to correct the deck height, also squaring it and producing a good usable quench distance - these are the fundamental and most challenging operations to get done correctly from local machine shops. And im sure your volume/compression calculations are more accurate than mine. Your efforts to spec out the thrust is reassuring eliminating another headache to the owner.

As for align-honing the typical answer is removing the minimal amount and to me is wishful thinking. I personally would rather have a block that is not align honed unless measurements indicate it is required. As i know of no shops that make the effort to measure and correct for timing gear spacing errors.

I read your straight answers here providing me confidence using your product, and am now able to recommend your engines to others that u have a good engine at a reasonable price with 24 months of warranty.
cardo
Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

We happend to have this same short block going together, so I took some pictures while I was out in the shop.

Attached Thumbnails LT1/LT4 Crate engines-sp33-2.jpg   LT1/LT4 Crate engines-sp33.jpg  

Last edited by ATK Engines; 01-30-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1/LT4 Crate engines