LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I got a new issue on my tank.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I got a new issue on my tank.

My 96' Caprice 4.3L recently had the fuel pump die so I changed the pump and changed the filter and confirmed good fuel presssure at the rail. Now onto the current issue. When I drove the car today down to the local eat'm up joint to grab a burger and fries I noticed while I was slowing down that the car acted like it wanted to stall. (It was around 13 degrees today and the car was almost completely warmed up) I let the car idle long enough for the temp guage to start creeping up so I know the engine has some heat in it. Anyways i'm guessing I'm having a ICM problem. The car has 190k on it and I'm sure it's never been changed. The car seems to want to stall out completely randomly. It's fine at WOT and moderate throttle. It's mostly in the idle-low throttle input area. I have a spare coil/ICM setup from my extra LT1 I have sitting in the garage I am going to swap out tomorrow. The only other item I can see having a problem is the TPS. (I have had to jiggle the connector in the past to stop a stumble it had a few times) Usually it's a stumble though, and its very very easy to determine. Any ideas before tomorrow? I'm probably going to end up changing the coil and TPS and reuse the extra ICM I have. It literally feels like the ignition is being cut out for a split second. I got the same feeling when my fuel pump was dieing but usually that was up top it would start cutting out. I'm guessing if I had a fuel delivery problem that it would have cut out when I went WOT today. Any guesses? Wish me luck tomarrow in the AM!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked the air temp sensor in the intake tract? A cold engine needs a richer mixture to "stay lit", and if the computer thinks it's 60*, it won't give the engine what it needs, in terms of fuel.

Or, possibly, your alternator is going bad, and not providing full voltage at idle. In cold weather, you most likely had the heater going, maybe the rear defogger and the lights too. They're all a load on the electrical system, and draw power away from the ignition system.

Quick Reply: I got a new issue on my tank.