LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

internally balanced question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default internally balanced question

Was going to clean up my originally balancer and coat it but I noticed that it had a chunk taken out of it. Probably from storage. However I have an internally balanced rotating assembly. Do I use a stock balancer and hub or do I have to buy a neutral balance balancer and the stock hub? Thanks. Sorry for the stupid questions
Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

What kind of engine?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

97 lt1
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoparChevZ28
Was going to clean up my originally balancer and coat it but I noticed that it had a chunk taken out of it. Probably from storage. However I have an internally balanced rotating assembly. Do I use a stock balancer and hub or do I have to buy a neutral balance balancer and the stock hub? Thanks. Sorry for the stupid questions
Can you clarify what sort of balancer your "original" one with the chunk missing is (stock, or aftermarket if so what brand...don't say Professional products, LMAO, bad experience with those). The stock balancer IS 0 balanced, so you can used pretty much any aftermarket balancer and you probably need an aftermarket hub too (I did at least). You don't want the stock balancer with the RPMs your setup is going to run, it's only good for 6500 rpm from my understanding. I went with the balancer and hub JEGS sells, it's a rebranded Powerbond balancer made in Australia, SFI certified to 12,500 RPM, you can also get a 10% underdrive version. It's very nice for the price; 10x the "quality" of the POS Professional products one I had before that came apart
Old 03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Can you clarify what sort of balancer your "original" one with the chunk missing is (stock, or aftermarket if so what brand...don't say Professional products, LMAO, bad experience with those). The stock balancer IS 0 balanced, so you can used pretty much any aftermarket balancer and you probably need an aftermarket hub too (I did at least). You don't want the stock balancer with the RPMs your setup is going to run, it's only good for 6500 rpm from my understanding. I went with the balancer and hub JEGS sells, it's a rebranded Powerbond balancer made in Australia, SFI certified to 12,500 RPM, you can also get a 10% underdrive version. It's very nice for the price; 10x the "quality" of the POS Professional products one I had before that came apart
Yeah I try to stay away from anything that says the word "professional" in the company name Lol. Its just the stock hub and balancer. I thought they were OK to use but I had read a topic regarding it needing to be 0 balanced so I wanted to make sure. I'll check out the jegs one. Thank you again!

Quick Reply: internally balanced question