LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock catback restriction

Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stock catback restriction

Just wondering if I'm leaving a bunch on the table by running a stock cat-back on my car. My feeling is probably very little, but I want other opinions.

The car has long tubes and ory, hooked to the stock 2-3/4 i-pipe.
Now, I understand that as the exhaust gas cools it doesn't need as big of a pipe, so is about a 1/4 inch going to make that much of a difference from the i-pipe back? I know that the stock manifolds are a big restriction as is the stock y-pipe, just not sure about the rest.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I don't recall or know of any hard data to prove if a 3" would benefit, especially if the engine is at or near stock. If it were me I'd keep the way it is unless other engine mods are planned. JMO.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda defeats the purpose of the headers. Your exhaust is still restricted.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
Just wondering if I'm leaving a bunch on the table by running a stock cat-back on my car. My feeling is probably very little, but I want other opinions.

The car has long tubes and ory, hooked to the stock 2-3/4 i-pipe.
Now, I understand that as the exhaust gas cools it doesn't need as big of a pipe, so is about a 1/4 inch going to make that much of a difference from the i-pipe back? I know that the stock manifolds are a big restriction as is the stock y-pipe, just not sure about the rest.
The stock exhaust IS restrictive (the village troll should know better ), everything I've read over the years points to a ~10 HP gain even on a stock LT1 (much more on highly modified), the stock muffler is full of baffles that are quite restrictive, I could tell a difference in power back in the day when I just had a flowmaster muffler installed. At a minimum, get at least a decent flowing muffler installed, if not a full cat back if you have any plans of adding more HP in the future. I have proof for my claims as well....read, 9HP dyno proven gain on a stock LT1 by installing the Magnaflow cat back:

http://www.carsandparts.com/Articles...r-from-the-lt1

^It should also be noted that 9hp gain was on a car that already had a free flowing aftermarket muffler, the pipes are restrictive too.

Here, Gm high tech performance added 30rwhp with just a CAI, Magnaflow cat back, TB airfoil, and 160 thermostat.....no way just a CAI, airfoil, and 160 thermostat alone are adding 30RWHP.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_24.html

Here, GM high tech lists approximate HP gains for best LT1 bolt ons....they claim 15 RWHP for most cat-backs, also, a cutout should be considered, any noobs out there really should read this:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...g_radials.html

Last edited by ahritchie; 03-05-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Kinda defeats the purpose of the headers. Your exhaust is still restricted.
But isn't the most restrictive part of the factory exhaust the stock y-pipe, followed by the manifolds?
Isn't the point of headers to remove the restriction of the exhaust manifolds?
the purpose was actually to replace the cracked manifold with something better, which it did, and it removed the restriction of the manifolds and the stock y-pipe.

Originally Posted by ahritchie
The stock exhaust IS restrictive (the village troll should know better ), everything I've read over the years points to a ~10 HP gain even on a stock LT1 (much more on highly modified), the stock muffler is full of baffles that are quite restrictive, I could tell a difference in power back in the day when I just had a flowmaster muffler installed. At a minimum, get at least a decent flowing muffler installed, if not a full cat back if you have any plans of adding more HP in the future. I have proof for my claims as well....read, 9HP dyno proven gain on a stock LT1 by installing the Magnaflow cat back:

http://www.carsandparts.com/Articles...r-from-the-lt1

^It should also be noted that 9hp gain was on a car that already had a free flowing aftermarket muffler, the pipes are restrictive too.

Here, Gm high tech performance added 30rwhp with just a CAI, Magnaflow cat back, TB airfoil, and 160 thermostat.....no way just a CAI, airfoil, and 160 thermostat alone are adding 30RWHP.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_24.html

Here, GM high tech lists approximate HP gains for best LT1 bolt ons....they claim 15 RWHP for most cat-backs, also, a cutout should be considered, any noobs out there really should read this:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...g_radials.html
Interesting. I may have to start looking at getting a magnaflow cat back. What I don't want is loud. It sounds pretty good the way it is. It may just stay the way it is for a while though as I don't want to dump $500 on a catback right now.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

But isn't the most restrictive part of the factory exhaust the stock y-pipe, followed by the manifolds?
There have been huge gains made from those who merely flanged a test pipe in place of the catalytic converter on OBDI cars. I don't have any dyno numbers, but those who went to the track were seeing well over .5 of a second. That's why I figured the I-pipe/muffler weren't that much of a restriction.

... as I don't want to dump $500 on a catback right now.
If you are going to stay stock it makes sense to refrain, but if you are planning anything engine wise then it would be a good investment.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the purpose was actually to replace the cracked manifold with something better, which it did, and it removed the restriction of the manifolds and the stock y-pipe.

Interesting. I may have to start looking at getting a magnaflow cat back. What I don't want is loud. It sounds pretty good the way it is. It may just stay the way it is for a while though as I don't want to dump $500 on a catback right now.
The magnaflow is not loud at all until you get on it; over 50% throttle and it really wakes up....I have it on my car, there's no drone, and you can drive around stealthy if you want to.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to dump $500 on a catback right now.
My Hooker catback cost around $300, couldn't be more satisfied.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock catback restriction