LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rebuilt Motor - First Key Turn. No Start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rebuilt Motor - First Key Turn. No Start.

So we have finished putting the car back together. Got everything filled up sans coolant and went to hit the key. First, we had a few fuel leaks, no big deal, put better o-rings in and continued on. Second, once we actually turned the key to crank, the negative battery ground cable was mounted in the wrong place. It was mounted on the same bolt the coolant line bracket is bolted to on the frame rail. Rerouted the negative ground cable to the passenger side motor mount and turned the key again. It turns, sounds like it wants to fire but just doesn't seem to catch. The computer was tuned by Madtuner for the exact specs of the engine. I have a Summit (I would have perferred ACDelco but it will have to do) Opti being overnighted to us for tomorrow but I want to pick everyone's brain to see if I am missing anything. As for codes, I have an old Actron OBD I reader that doesn't seem to work. So either I have no codes, or the diagnostic circuit isn't working in the car, or the reader isn't working.

Here is a link to a video of where we are right now.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have fuel pressure, try spraying caeb cleaner in the intake while cranking
Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

We are going to get our hands on a fuel pressure tester for tomorrow. We got prime each time we turned the key. You can hear the pump turn on and off.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Make sure that battery is charged, and why is the stater loosing contact with the flexplate/flywheel?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like your not turning over fast enough. Dead/weak battery or did you happen to paint the block, If you did your starter might not be getting a good enough ground and doesn't have the juice to turn the motor. (ask me how i Know!)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Battery is a brandy new Interstate...
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Teching In

the best thought on the starter is that its been sittin around for a few years waiting to be used...probably the gear is sticking and not retracting
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like the motor is turning fast enough to start. When my battery was going it cranked slower and still started right up.

Is it firing at all? Probably ignition or computer related. Is there any way you could test the PCM? If you ran it in another car for a few seconds you'd know.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Teching In

The strange part is I unplugged a plug wire, tossed another plug into it to check for spark; has nice bright blue spark but I only checked number 3 wire...it did seem like it was arcing bright then dim then bright then dim. So every other hit off the coil didn't seem like it was full power but it was still there...anybody encounter that before?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

The computer worked before I shipped it off to MadTuner. He tuned the PCM for the current setup we are attempting to run. He didn't indicate that he had any problems with the tuning so at the current moment I wasn't thinking that was it. Unless somehow that bad ground issue we had earlier fried the PCM but I don't know how to test for that unless I send it out.

It is definitely firing, because while it is cranking we will get a few coughs here and there. Plus, the coil is definitely delivering spark. That has been checked.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your timing is advanced. You need to take out your opti and put it in correctly. Its very easy to do this as I have done this before.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Launching!

+1 on the cam dowel pin being in the wrong opti slot. Take the water pump back off, and change slots. You can leave the water pump and everything off and crank/start it until you figure out which slot to put the dowel pin in

Last edited by KyleW707; 03-07-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

The main reason i still say the not enough current , is because of the starter not fully engaging.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Teching In

I'm having a similar electrical bug. My pcm is plug and play. Starter wired off chassis. My starter will spin but the car will not start using the switch. If I jump the remote solonoid,it fires right up!! I've been scratching my head on that one for a while now. I even replaced the remote solonoid...it still does it!

Try jumping the starter?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Launching!

I am not sure what the starter you are using looks like.

I saw this once, and it may not be the problem here.
I had a starter that was worn out and turned the engine over slowly. After replacing it, and with out changing anything else the slow crank speed was gone.

The starter drive can also wear out and cause the grinding sound in the video.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Clean all ground connections to the block. Especially the smaller harness grounds. The starter is spinning but spinning slow for a fully charged battery. Make sure as stated that the starter has a good bare spot on the block to mount to. Same with all grounds. Add a dab of dialectic grease or lithium grease to all grounds. I go back after I paint and actually grind off the paint at these points with a light scuff wheel or cut them with a window scraper blade. Even the mounting surface for the transmission.

Last edited by jaycenk; 03-07-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by incognitoZ71
Battery is a brandy new Interstate...
I've bought a new battery before that was not fully charged, I'd put it on the charger, no telling how long it's been sitting around on a shelf....per NAPA:

"Charging the new battery

New batteries should be charged prior to installation to prevent overloading and possible damage to the charging system (which is designed to maintain a constant level of battery charge, not to recharge a dead battery). This is very important."
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Launching!

I don't think it's the battery or starter. That thing is spinning plenty fast to start. And FWIW I have the same exact battery in my 97 that sat for close to a year and it started right up when I put it back in the car
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KyleW707
I don't think it's the battery or starter. That thing is spinning plenty fast to start. And FWIW I have the same exact battery in my 97 that sat for close to a year and it started right up when I put it back in the car
I do know when my starter wasn't engaging properly like that making all that grinding noise, it was toast, and had to be completely replaced. Grinding is not normal.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChevyOwner
I am not sure what the starter you are using looks like.

I saw this once, and it may not be the problem here.
I had a starter that was worn out and turned the engine over slowly. After replacing it, and with out changing anything else the slow crank speed was gone.

The starter drive can also wear out and cause the grinding sound in the video.
Yea, my old starter did exactly the same....turned it over SLOOOOOOW for a couple years actually (only drive it 2-3K a year) before it finally started grinding a lot....it was a very slow death! New starter cranks it right up with some authority!

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Motor - First Key Turn. No Start.