LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Genuine AC Delco Opti wrong plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genuine AC Delco Opti wrong plug

I am putting the Opti in and after getting it torqued down and routing the wiring noticed that the harness connector is different (slots inside). AC #19212300. Wire color and "abcd" position are the same, so I just swapped plugs out but now am concered since I don't see anyone else having this issue. Bought from GM dealer. The plug at Opti side was heat shrinked, so that's why I swapped plugs instead of using old wire. Am I OK?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So were you replacing the opti extension harness at the same time???

Not sure I understand the whole issue here o going to spitball a few thoughts.

The vented vs. unvented optis had different plug at the opti end.

There was a vendor selling extension harnesses a few years ago that had new end for the car end of the harness(had to swap to match the harness) because they had trouble exactly matching the.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

yes the new ones are different for some reason just shave the one tab inside thats different. thats what i did when i replaced mine a few months ago
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mab6680
yes the new ones are different for some reason just shave the one tab inside thats different. thats what i did when i replaced mine a few months ago
Ok, thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Wire colors are the same and only difference in plug was the extra plastic guide, so I just pulled the wires and terminals out of new plug and swapped them to old plug. Be nice if delco gave a heads up to us.

Last edited by mhslax6; 03-07-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

cut the plastic nub off or swap to this plug

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=435
Old 03-07-2014, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Idk why but they make parts that supersede the original part and it's always a little different. I guess so you have to buy the adaptor. When I replaced the fuel pump in my ford pickup the new pump looked exactly the same except for the plug. When I went back to the dealer and told them it was the wrong pump they then told me oh you have to buy the adaptor at 45 bucks a piece...lol
Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

What happened is Delphi revised the engine harness connector...

...and it continued to fit the original mating optispark harness gray connection...

...and then Delphi made a mating connector for the revised connector from the top of this post...

...and it didn't fit the original mating connector (but it fits the revised mating connector).

We brought in a large quantity of the now "incorrect" gray connector after our Delphi supplier made the correct connector obsolete. Someone along the way realized the new connector did not fit all mating revisions and the correct connector was available again (but it's expensive).

I've been preaching about the wrong optispark harnesses on the market for a few years now, but they continue to be produced incorrectly. EFI Connection makes the correct replacement optispark harnesses.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

My old connector was perfect, so I just swapped it. Nice and tight. Thanks for the link for EFI though!
Old 11-08-2015, 05:43 PM

Same thing happened to me today. I used a razor blade to shave off the one plastic guide, plugged it in then I saw this post. Nice to see other people deal with the same stupid stuff.

Quick Reply: Genuine AC Delco Opti wrong plug