LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ORY issues with MWC tunnel mount torque arm install

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question ORY issues with MWC tunnel mount torque arm install

I'm installing a MWC tunnel mount torque arm on my 96 TA and now my hooker ORY is touching the crossmember/driveshaft loop. I already took the ORY out and beat on it with a hammer just so I could get the crossmember installed, but it still looks a little close for comfort. I'm almost positive that it will hit when driving. It was a pain to get it to line back up after hitting it. I guess it all shifted. I was never happy with the Hooker ORY to begin with but never had issues because I just removed the stock crossmember. Has anyone had this issue before? Is there a better ORY for my setup? Jet Hot LTs into the hooker ORY into a hooker catback. Here's some pics...

Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally I was going to go with a Hooker y-pipe, called them and asked if their y-pipes would clear a Spohn tunnel t/a. They had no idea, could not make any guarantees so I opted to have a y-pipe custom fabbed. Didn't want to take the chance of paying for the y-pipe and then having to pay someone to get it to fit. I think your only option is to find a competent exhaust shop and have them try to work around it. Their answer may be just like what you're doing and beat it some more until it fits, or they may just tell you they would rather make their own... Good luck.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

My pacesetter ORY clears my spohn tunnel mount, I don't know how different it could be from a hooker tho
Old 03-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Spohn offers a T/A that accommodates headers where the crossmember has more of an angle to yield clearance. The one pictures looks straight across.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just have one custom made. Buy some pipe and get to cutting/welding.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first did my MW9, I used the tunnel mount TA. With the true-dual pipes, I had to re-engineer the supports for the loop to allow for clearance. After that, the clearance was there but it was still very tight.

I ended up ditching the tunnel mount torque arm since it broke the teck welded mounts the bottom of the floor boards. I then went with the long arm which provided a lot more clearance for the dual exhaust pipes.

Point is that with the long arm, you have more options for running exhaust pipes. Pics in sig.

Quick Reply: ORY issues with MWC tunnel mount torque arm install